Photo

Strange behavior in Citrix Receiver on Win10 Creators Update

Started by Raul Gonzalez , 17 April 2017 - 10:03 AM
46 replies to this topic

Raul Gonzalez Members

Raul Gonzalez
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

My home personal computer got upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update on Friday and all seemed fine.  I just started to use Citrix Receiver once again to connect to my work place's XenApp 7.13 environment.

The following is observed when connecting with Receiver 4.6 and 4.7 on Creators Update:

1)  Mouse cursor is really tiny despite configuring it to be large in user settings.

2)  HDX H.264 Super Codec performance is very sluggish....until I connect with a VPN!

3)  Receiver for HTML5 seems to also be affected.

4)  As I log into my desktop session the screen that shows my user profile is getting loaded up has a large gray border surrounding a the normal blue Windows 2012 R2 login background.

I)  I checked the speed of my ISP and my computer connects at full speed, even over wireless.

II)  I logged into another home computer that still had the previous version of Windows 10 and it connects just fine.

Anyone else experiencing issues with Receiver on Windows 10 Creators Update???

Robert Double Members

Robert Double
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:57 AM

After upgrading to the Creators Update, I am experiencing the exact same issues you describe. While I can live with the small mouse cursor the performance is dreadful. From your post, you imply you fixed the performance (#2) by going via a VPN. Can you elaborate on this a little more..... was this a particular VPN, or just any public VPN service?

I am at the point where I am considering rolling back the Creators Update.... so any workarounds / fixes for above described issues would be welcome. 

Raul Gonzalez Members

Raul Gonzalez
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

We have a separate VPN appliance to connect to from off premises.  The XenApp environment doesn't need to use this.  But for some reason the VPN has this affect of allowing Receiver to work.

I wonder if Windows 10 Creators Update Microsoft changed how WAN connections are treated vs LAN connections?

Robert Double Members

Robert Double
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

I wonder if Windows 10 Creators Update Microsoft changed how WAN connections are treated vs LAN connections?

Could be... I was thinking it was more too do with the DPI. They have performed some significant work in this area, and would explain why the mouse cursor is small. Hopefully someone from Citrix will be able to provide some comment on this issue soon. For the time being I have rolled back the Creators Update, as the performance was unbearable. 

Michael Huber Members

Michael Huber
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

Also having issues with the cursor using Creators Update.  In multiple screen setup, the situation is even worse - the cursor disappears depending on which window is activated.

Raul Gonzalez Members

Raul Gonzalez
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

A colleague installed Creators Update on a Windows To Go USB stick and Receiver 4.7 works fine on premises.

I'm going to have to see if reinstalling my computer with Creator's Update from the start works better.

Robert Double Members

Robert Double
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

I'm going to have to see if reinstalling my computer with Creator's Update from the start works better.

Let me know how you go with this.

I have rolled back Creators Update, and Receiver is now working fine. However, the roll-back has caused a couple of other apps to now misbehave. I will do a clean install at some point, once I have confidence there is a resolution to the problem. 

Btw - I'm running Receiver on a Surface Pro 4. Just wondering, are you running it also on a high DPI device?

Florian Bartsch Members

Florian Bartsch
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

Got my upgrade today. My mouse pointer in the citrix session is really small,too. Its really frustrating.xD

When connecting in that session via RDP to another device, there anything is fine.

Hope there will be a fix soon.

Kevin Wheeler Members

Kevin Wheeler
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

I notice this weeks ago as I've been using the Windows Insiders builds of the Creators Update.  I thought it had to do with the 7.13 VDA, as I don't see in our 7.6 VDA environments.  The tiny mouse pointer and I also don't see the mouse pointer in Office applications.  I have a hard time placing my cursor.

Attila Kozma Members

Attila Kozma
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

We changed the custom scale/DPI to 101% and it works fine now.

Robert Double Members

Robert Double
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

We changed the custom scale/DPI to 101% and it works fine now.

Aha - I thought it may of been related to DPI / Scaling. 

How / where do you change the scale / DPI to 101%? Using Settings->Display I can only get mine to go up in 25% increments. 

mswanso769 Members

Mick Swanson
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

Aha - I thought it may of been related to DPI / Scaling. 

How / where do you change the scale / DPI to 101%? Using Settings->Display I can only get mine to go up in 25% increments. 

Go into Control Panel -> Display and then click on "Set a custom scaling level" - You can drag your mouse across the "ruler" to set a custom percentage.

I've got a couple of users running docked Microsoft Surface laptops who are having a "disappearing cursor" in certain applications and especially in text fields. Apparently the DPI scaling didn't do anything for them unfortunately. Anyone got any other ideas?

Jay Volk Members

Jay Volk
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

We had the same issue with horrible performance on recent Creators-updated systems when connecting to XenDesktop via WiFi from some of our external devices.  XenApp resources behaved as expected, though.  Some additional testing showed that location wasn't an issue, but that it appeared to be happening on our devices with Intel Dual-Band cards (8260 and 8265).  A teammate determined that lowering the MTU to 1400 on the 8260 card resulted in normal performance in XenDesktop.  We had to go down to 1300 for the 8265 chipset, though.  Finally, an old thread gave us the basis for a simple script to address the problem on our troubled devices.  The pointer issue remains in some cases, but scaling adjustment has addressed this for us.

Change MTU with netsh:

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007/11/setting-mtu-in-windows-vista.html

Raul Gonzalez Members

Raul Gonzalez
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Strange I got the email notification from Citrix that Jay Volk responded that the issue seemed tied to Wi-Fi adapters.  However I don't see his post on here directly.

My desktop machine has a Broadcom BCM4360 chip.  It doesn't seem to respond the the MTU trick your team uncovered.  The best I got was instead of a grey screen, I could get the login screen but it would be animated until it was time to load the desktop and the remote screen would freeze.

What increments did you guys lower the MTU until it responded?  100?   50?  25?

Raul Gonzalez Members

Raul Gonzalez
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

I just tried installing Broadcom driver 6.30.223.228 for the BCM4360 chip using ASUS version 2.8.0.8 package for the PCE-AC68 card.  I can now connect to our XenApp environment even without any tweaks to TCP/IP.  The version 7.x drivers don't seem to like Creator's Update at all.

I did some searching on the internet and people on Microsoft forums are reporting general connectivity issues with Creators Update.  The workarounds they come up with are the same as what has collectively been found on here. 

Jay Volk Members

Jay Volk
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

The hardware is new to our group and we're on a tight deadline, so we went wide (lowered MTU by 1000s).  We'd hoped to dial it in this week, but since we only have a couple of test units right now, we're probably just going to go with Anniversary update and defer Creators for a couple months until we can get some additional insight.

Rene Kok Members

Rene Kok
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 16184 and getting Protocol driver error messages and error (0) when starting a Xendesktop session which works great on another system same build but the home edition with both CR 4.7.

When I use the System Restore option to go back to the previous (clean installed) Windows 10 everything works fine. Enabling the Insiders preview and Fast ring breaks the receiver again. Doing a restore to the previous would repeat the situation over and over again. It also happened with builds 16170 - 16176.

So far only one other insider responded with the same issue within the Insider Feedback-hub. Any tips would be great.

Richard Fresow Members

Richard Fresow
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

Have the same problem. WiFi is superfast but when in a Citrix RDP everything is slow. Just like the RDP is working over an old modem connection. Tried MTU and DPI, both no result.

Richard Fresow Members

Richard Fresow
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

A solution that worked for me is downgrading the driver software on my Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165:

1. Open Device manager - Right click "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165"
  2. "Update driver" and choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  3. "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and choose version: 17.15.0.5 then Next and that's it.

Thanks to MarverX.

Source: Windows 10 Creators Update Causing Very Slow WiFi

Tim Muermans Members

Tim Muermans
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

@DPI Settings / Small cursor issue...New windows 10 updates fix this issue. Confirmed @ 3 laptops here