Photo

Routing question

Started by Curtis Francis , 13 April 2017 - 02:59 PM
5 replies to this topic

Curtis Francis Members

Curtis Francis
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hello.  I think I have a routing issue with one of our sites that sits behind our netscaler and I'm currently trying to find the best way to resolve this.

I have a web server bound to a virtual server. A user clicks a button on our site which then makes an API call to Salesforce.  I can see the outbound traffic bypassing the virtual server/netscaler completely and never returning to the virtual server VIP.  Essentially, no data is returned.

Is it possible to route the API call to Salesforce through virtual server/netscaler so that it returns to the web server via the same route?

I realize this may be out of the netscaler's scope.  However, I'm new to this appliance so I'm not sure of it's capabilities outside of load balancing.

Sam Jacobs CTP Member

Sam Jacobs
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

Are you looking to enable Mac-Based Forwarding?

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/11/networking/interfaces/configuring-mac-based-forwarding.html

Leopoldo Torres Members

Leopoldo Torres
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hello Curtis,

Could you be a little specific as to the exact behavior (expected) of the code/api call?

From what you are saying I gather that the code is executed on the web server and it is this web server making the outbound call to salesforce, salesforce being SaaS Application, so this api call should be just using your Internet line (maybe through a Proxy) and so does not need to pass by the NetScaler.

Do you have a way of testing this without the NetScaler fronting your application?

Curtis Francis Members

Curtis Francis
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

This might the solution to my problem!  I'll enable the setting and report my findings.

Thank you! 

Curtis Francis Members

Curtis Francis
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

Hello Curtis,

Could you be a little specific as to the exact behavior (expected) of the code/api call?

From what you are saying I gather that the code is executed on the web server and it is this web server making the outbound call to salesforce, salesforce being SaaS Application, so this api call should be just using your Internet line (maybe through a Proxy) and so does not need to pass by the NetScaler.

Do you have a way of testing this without the NetScaler fronting your application?

Yes you are correct, the code is executed on the web server which makes an outbound API call to Salesforce (no proxy).  The call returns customer information that is then displayed on the site.

Unfortunately, since I am not able to produce positive results.  For our production sites, I've had to bypass the Netscaler altogether.  When bypassed, the site and code execution function as normal.

Rhonda Rowland Members

Rhonda Rowland
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

If you want server outbound traffic to go through the NetScaler SNIP and then out and its not directly associated with incoming traffic handled by the LB VIP, then you might be looking at an RNAT config, in addition to your load balancing configuration.