Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Unsupported-client-type when enabling Federated Authentication Service

Greg Arkin

Question

I am attempting to setup Federated Authentication Service so I can use SAML Authentication with my Netscaler Gateway, but I am getting an error when I try to launch my desktop that states "Failed to launch the resource 'Controller.My Desktop $P1234' using the Citrix XML Service at address 'https://ddc.mycorp.local:443/scripts/wpnbr.dll'. The XML service returned error: 'unsupported-client-type'.

I used the Citrix setup documentation https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7-13/secure/federated-authentication-service.html to configure my environment.  I am not sure what I am missing.

I am able to get authenticated to Storefront and enumerate my desktops, but when I click on the desktop to connect I get the error: Cannot start desktop "My Desktop" and then the error above gets logged in the Citrix Delivery Services log on my Storefront server.

We are running Storefront 3.8 and XenDesktop 7.13

6 answers to this question

Some additional information from the XenDesktop logs -

The Citrix Broker Service logs Event 1106 stating "The Citrix Broker Service failed to broker a connection for user 'domain\user' to resource 'My Desktop'. The required protocol 'HDX' is not configured for this resource or the resource might not advertise this protocol.

I am not sure where I can configure the protocol.

Thanks,

Greg

• Like 1

Carl,

Yes the Federated Authentication Service address GPO applies to all VDAs, as well as all my Citrix Servicers (StoreFront and XenDesktop), I have validated the setting in the registry.

I reviewed you documentation and didn't see anything that I might've missed.

Thanks,

Greg

On 20/4/2560 at 9:15 PM, Greg Arkin said:

Issue resolved, I didn't realize that the Citrix Agent version on the VDA machine I was connecting to was only 7.8, upgraded the agent to 7.13 and issue has been resolved.

I am having same problem with all Farm Broker is version 7.15     and VDA 2008 R2 SP1 is 7.6.xx

After enable FAS, all the VDAs are normall. But only this old VDA 7.6 group fails to launch the application with this error.

Thanks !! Greg Arkin..

On 7/31/2019 at 3:37 AM, OM Kaewsaenchai said:

I am having same problem with all Farm Broker is version 7.15     and VDA 2008 R2 SP1 is 7.6.xx

After enable FAS, all the VDAs are normall. But only this old VDA 7.6 group fails to launch the application with this error.

Thanks !! Greg Arkin..

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have the same issue, but on XenApp 7.15 VDA

No errors on the VDA

Storefront shows...

Failed to launch the resource 'App Name' using the Citrix XML Service at address 'http://Delivery Controller Name/scripts/wpnbr.dll'. The XML service returned error: 'unsupported-client-type'.

Delivery Controler shows...

Event ID : 1106

The Citrix Broker Service failed to broker a connection for user 'username' to resource 'published appname'. The required protocol 'HDX' is not configured for this resource or the resource might not advertise this protocol.