Photo

Migrating from LIVE Netscaller 11.0 to new 11.1 located in Data Center

Started by cpiva@naylor.com , 11 April 2017 - 08:38 PM
2 replies to this topic

Best Answer Paul Blitz , 12 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

If its a VPX, can't you just export the existing VM, then re-import it?

If you want to do any sort of migration, I'd strongly suggest you have then both on the same version (and by all means, upgrade it afterwards)

The main file needed is the ns.conf (which, if you edit it, do NOT use wordpad or notepad. WinSCP works well, and I think notepad++ is ok.).

Other things you might want:

rc.netscaler

ntp.conf

any certificates

... and don't forget to sort out a license (if you can force the MAC to be the same, then you can use the same license)

Yes, you can extract these from a backup, or you could just as easily use winscp to take them off the live system

cpiva@naylor.com Members

Carlo Piva
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hi there.

I am in a bit of a bind and hoping some one can lead me in the right direction.

Our LIVE Netscaller is in our branch, and is running version 11.0.

We are in the process of moving our Citrix environment to a Data Center. 

I have downloaded the latest Netscaller VPX and improted it to XenServer in our Data Center.

In order to perform the migration, I was going to:

- Export a backup from the live version.

- Decompress the archive

- Edit the ns.conf file

- re-package the archive with the updated ns.conf

- move it to the new netscaller in the data center.

- Restore the backup file.

What I'm not certain about is if the file locations would be the same the original, or if there is any significant differences for the ns.conf file

Would it be better for me to download and use the same version and build of Netscaller for our Data Center as is in our Live Environment and restore the configuration to that, and then do an in place upgrade to the latest version?

Paul Blitz Members

Paul Blitz
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

If you want to do any sort of migration, I'd strongly suggest you have then both on the same version (and by all means, upgrade it afterwards)

The main file needed is the ns.conf (which, if you edit it, do NOT use wordpad or notepad. WinSCP works well, and I think notepad++ is ok.).

rc.netscaler

ntp.conf

any certificates

... and don't forget to sort out a license (if you can force the MAC to be the same, then you can use the same license)

Yes, you can extract these from a backup, or you could just as easily use winscp to take them off the live system

Best Answer

cpiva@naylor.com Members

Carlo Piva
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

In a perfect world - yes.
We want to keep the current system live as we have to many moving parts to configure and its going to take a few weeks to get everything moved to the Data Center and reconfigured.

As the Data Center servers are able to see the branch office and vice versa, we did not want to have things running and causing IP conflicts, and MAC address collisions, as well as host name conflicts. The idea is to keep the current environment live and running, and when everything is done that needs to be done  and everything is tested and working at the Data Center, we would just "flip the switch" so to speak. 

I had tried exporting a configuration over to the XenServer in the Data Center, and with out any NIC's configured,  tried to perform a reset on the configuration - this didn't work. I had to add purge the ns.conf file anyways, and add a nic back and run a basic setup from terminal, so it would be on a different IP.  After doing that however, the Netscaler web interface refused to start.   I did not have that problem when I launched a fresh instance of Netscaller 11.1, so I am thinking using a fresh "virgin" instance is the way to go for this and just moving the licenses, configuration, etc over to it.

Notepad++ is the only editing tool I use (unless I'm in Linux, then its VI or Nano)

rc.netscaler

ntp.conf

any certificates

I'm leaning toward your suggestion and grabbing them from the live system and moving them to the new location using WinSCP. I think that would be a better method  :) We have a 90 day trial license for the other Netscaller to assist with the transition and testing. We hope to have it up and running in a few weeks, but its good to have a bit of extra leeway should things not go according to plan.

Thanks for the suggestion and the help!

I'll download the same version of Netscaller to our live environment