Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.12/13, Server 2016 desktop icons flickering

Jan Krajcik

Question

I wonder if anyone has seen the desktop icons flickering issue in combination of Server 2016, XenApp 7.12 or 13, redirected desktop?

We have already tried all suggested fixes out there on the internet, none of them has fixed it.

The icons mainly flicker when you open and browse folders.

In my testing I've noticed the flickering starts as soon as the VDA is installed and server rebooted. It happens in VM console, RDS and ICA sessions as well.

We also use UPM

Any ideas please?

Many Thanks,

Jan

We also experienced this issue in our environment. We were able to resolve it with this workaround:

Create Registrykey

HKEY_CURRENT\USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

on user logon.

The creation of this key is exactly what happens when the user launches the folder options window with the view tab.

Best regards

Helge

• Like 9

Hi Jan

We have the same behavior on Windows Server 2016 with XenApp 7.11.086 and redirected desktop folder. We have also UPM 5.7.0.13003 active for users.

At the moment, we have found a way to reduce the problem or prevent it for the existing session.
If the user changes the option "Launch folder windows in a separate process" (activated or deactivated) in Windows Explorer, the flickering stop.

Does this option help you also?

So far we have not been able to narrow down the effective problem. I think we can probably exclude a redirect problem because we have the issue also with no redirect. UPM would still be possible or the Windows Server 2016 itself.

For XenApp, we have the problem from version 7.11 to 7.13.

Best regards,

Oliver

I can confirm this too.

I am preparing a unattended-installation for VDAs based on Server 2016 in my test-Environment (Hyper-V).

I use a original 2016 ISO. On the first task-sequence my program installs the pre-reqs. (windows-roles like RDS)

The second task-sequence installs XenApp VDA 7.12 or 7.13.

After this installation the Desktop-Icons (and original pinned-apps in taskbar too?) start flickering.

There is no folder-redirection or something special this time.

Looks very ugly to me ... and believe me ... when setting up my unattended-installation I have installed more than once ;-)

Thanks for your responses. Thought I was alone with this issue :).

I guess the scale of the problem depends on the end user noticing it (most likely if they have more desktop icons).

You're both right, it happens regardless of redirected desktop.

My colleague has noticed that even opening the Folder Options > View window and clicking OK without making any changes fixes the flickering for that session. Then it's back to flickering after log off / on.

This is a very strange behavior, and I hope Citrix will fix it soon.

All my testing so far has been focused on using thin clients, RDS and VM console sessions. Using any of these the desktop icons flicker.

Just noticed that if I connect from a Windows 10 laptop with Citrix Receiver 4.6 or 4.7 installed, the icons don't flicker... How odd is that?

Hi Oliver

I did it with via Folder Preference (GPO Preference). uncheck Show preview handlers in preview pane and under Common: check Run in logged-on user's security context

Regards,

Florian

Hi Florian

Thanks for your explanation. I have already implemented it just like you. Unfortunately, it does not work in my environment.

The setting is disabled by the GPO, so the GPO works perfect.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi Oliver

i added a second setting in 

Hi Florian

Thanks for your explanation. I have already implemented it just like you. Unfortunately, it does not work in my environment.
The setting is disabled by the GPO, so the GPO works perfect.

Regards,

Oliver

i added a second setting: always show icons, never thumbnails

regards

We've found following workaround - credit goes to my colleague Colin Bailey.

It emulates opening Folder Options window, the View tab, which fixes it for the duration of user session and has to be run every time user logs on. The screen flashes once when the script runs.

Create a batch file with content you can see below, and put it in a shared location (using a mapped drive or a local drive instead of UNC seems to work best as there is no prompt for user asking if they want to run the program).

Configure it to run using GPO, User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Run these programs a user logon. Standard logon script runs too early and doesn't provide desired effect.

echo off

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 7
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Jan Krajcik

• Like 1

For this fix, are we simply creating the path in registry with no subkeys and subkey values? or is the SID the subkey? or is CLSID the subkey and the sid {031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5} the value?

Also I'm assuming the path is HKEY_CURRENT
_USER and not HKEY_CURRENT\USER

I'm trying to apply this via WEM Registry actions and haven't had much success. However WEM 4.3 GUI looks to require a subkey name at least.  So maybe this is a limitation of WEM UI.  Either way I can get the key in there, even with logon script. I just want to be sure I'm setting up the key and sub keys/values correctly.  

Thanks so much for any info anyone can provide!!

For this fix, are we simply creating the path in registry with no subkeys and subkey values? or is the SID the subkey? or is CLSID the subkey and the sid {031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5} the value?

Also I'm assuming the path is HKEY_CURRENT_USER and not HKEY_CURRENT\USER

I'm trying to apply this via WEM Registry actions and haven't had much success. However WEM 4.3 GUI looks to require a subkey name at least.  So maybe this is a limitation of WEM UI.  Either way I can get the key in there, even with logon script. I just want to be sure I'm setting up the key and sub keys/values correctly.  

Thanks so much for any info anyone can provide!!

its working by me.

the "id" is the subkey. So i created only the key and the flickering is removed.