Upgrading citrix and OS to 7.13/2016

Ingvild Rutledal

Question

Hi

I have a Citrix environment including the following servers and versions:

2 x Storefront 3.0 servers on windows 2012R2

2 x Desktop Delivery Controllers (XenApp7.6) on windows 2012R2

2 x Provisioning Services 7.6 on windows 2012R2

I want to upgrade my environment to Xenapp 7.13, PVS 7.13, Storefront 3.9 and windows server 2016.

So I was wondering if anyone out there has done this, and have a recommandation on how to do it? I am not looking for a procedure on how to upgrade citrix, but how to include upgrading the OS in the procedure.

I am currently speculating on following procedure:

• upgrading Storefront on existing servers according to best practices
  • remove storefront1 from the storefrontgroup when storefront environment is upgraded, tested and working proparly
  • reinstall the server with new OS (the server will have the same name and IP address)
  • add the server to the storefront group again
  • do the same procedure for storefront2.

And also the same with DDC and PVS.

The alternative method is installing a brand new environment on the side, but was hoping to avoid that. Also running netscaler with LoadBalancing of services and publishing access.

Does anyone have any input for me on this matter?

- Ingvild

8 answers to this question

So here is what I do. I upgrade the Citrix components to support the new OS in the environment. I install new servers with the new OS and join existing - XA/XD site, StoreFront group, etc. Once new OS is added make sure everything works ok and then decommission servers wilth old OS. Then make sure everything is working ok.

So I upgraded citrix, and all seems OK at the moment.

But then I am upgrading the OS version for the servers. So I removed DDC02 from the site, and reinstalled with windows 2016 and added it back in to the citrix site. All seems fine, but when I go to the controller page in Studio it say "cannot communicate with the database". This message also appears on DDC01. In the error details is says "object referance not set to an instance of an object".

In powershell when I run command "get-brokercontroller" both servers are listed as active.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

On ‎07‎-‎04‎-‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

When you add a server to an existing server group, the Citrix software version must be the same. Since your existing components don't support 2016, you need to upgrade everything first. Then you can add 2016 and swap out the 2012 servers.

Can I have a complete plan of OS migration from 2008 to 2016 which is running on XD 7.15 CU3