Photo

This VIF was not mapped to a destination Network in VM.migrate_send operation in Xenserver 7.1

Started by Philippe Dhont , 17 March 2017 - 12:06 PM
3 replies to this topic

Philippe Dhont Members

Philippe Dhont
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

I did a fresh install of my xenservers and when I try to move from one server to the other (in console because they have different cpu's but it always worked before on xenserver 6.2, 6.5), then I get an error.

The command:

xe vm-migrate host=954c9000-da02-43a2-aa11-45b34674520e vm=648ef340-896e-c183-bb94-42ca5519a3eb remote-master=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx remote-username=root remote-password=XXXXXX live=true force=true

The result:

Performing a Storage XenMotion migration. Your VM's VDIs will be migrated with the VM.
Selecting remote pool's default SR for migrating VDIs
Will migrate to remote host: 2003BLL, using remote network: Network 0 - Management int. - . Here is the VDI mapping:
VDI 7e29f036-59de-4aab-8c39-650d45984a0d -> SR ffa80196-8f08-c8d6-e7d5-811951ac4c80
This VIF was not mapped to a destination Network in VM.migrate_send operation
vif: cb6b728a-f396-96a8-c56a-61e6cbb3103a

any idea ?

This always worked before, even with the different cpu models so the only difference now is Xenserver 7.1 instead of 6.5

thanks.

Stephen Turner Citrix Employees

Stephen Turner
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

You have to supply a VIF mapping in the command, then it will work.

PS Please never use force=true, on any command. That overrides all safety checks. You can expect your system to be in a broken state if you do that.

Philippe Dhont Members

Philippe Dhont
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the swift reply.

About the VIF mapping, how do I supply a VIF mapping ?

Where can I find info about how I do that ?

Ph.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,176 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

The VIF issue can arise if the destination host doesn't conform to the exact NIC layout and mapping of the original host/pool.

As to VIF mapping, please see for example this thread: http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/357753-live-migration-problems/ or the vm-migrate full set of options below.

-=Tobias

vm-migrate 
reqd params 
optional params : live, host, host-uuid, remote-master, remote-username, remote-password, remote-network, force, copy, vif:, vdi:, <vm-selectors> 
description : Migrate the selected VM(s). The parameter '--live' will migrate the VM without shutting it down. The 'host' parameter matches can be either the name or the uuid of the host. If you are migrating a VM to a remote pool, you will need to specify the remote-master, remote-username, and remote-password parameters. remote-master is the network address of the master host. To migrate to a particular host within a remote pool, you may additionally specify the host or host-uuid parameters. Also for cross-pool migration, setting 'copy=true' will enable the copy mode so that a stopped vm can be copied, instead of migrating, to the destination pool. The vif and vdi mapping parameters take the form 'vif:<source vif uuid>=<dest network uuid>' and 'vdi:<source vdi uuid>=<dest sr uuid>'. Unfortunately, destination uuids cannot be tab-completed. The simplest way to select the VM on which the operation is to be performed is by supplying the argument 'vm=<name or uuid>'. VMs can also be specified by filtering the full list of VMs on the values of fields. For example, specifying 'power-state=halted' will select all VMs whose power-state field is equal to 'halted'. Where multiple VMs are matching, the option '--multiple' must be specified to perform the operation. The full list of fields that can be matched can be obtained by the command 'xe vm-list params=all'. If no parameters to select VMs are given, the operation will be performed on all VMs.