Photo

no default or ui configuration found at startup

Started by Matt Matsen , 15 February 2017 - 04:24 PM
3 replies to this topic

Matt Matsen Members

Matt Matsen
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hi, i have this error message "no default or ui configuration found" after a possible deletion of my root directory or something else.

So i have a second "slave" server with the same config (so except its configured as slave in a pool). can i dd the image of the slave server (/dev/sda1) to the damaged master server anymore?

or copy some files from slave server to the master to repair it?

- Will a reinstall of xenserver cause in a losing of data of the Storage Repository which is on the master server?

thanks for your help

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Yes, you need to proceed very carefully as local storage repository is wiped during XenServer install. 

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136342

See if this article helps. There is a warning about old partition scheme being wiped out if in use on XenServer 7. Is any part of XenServer functional? 

--Alan--

Matt Matsen Members

Matt Matsen
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hey thnaks for the article, so the first step is difficult for me:

xe-backup-metadata -u <UUID of SR you want the metadata saved to>

I cannot access the console :( is this a problem not to select some metadata at a reinstalling?

PS IMPORTANT?

I have a storage repository and a xenserver 6.5 CD , will this preserve the SR on a clean install?

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

If you can't do a backup of the metadata, its not a dealbreaker. But what could happen is when XenServer is restored your VM's won't remember what VDI's they are attached to and your SR's may be forgotten so you would then need to reattach those. Not being able to access the console is definitely a big problem, especially if you have local storage.

--Alan--