Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.9 - Please wait for the Local Session Manager

Joey Martinez

Question

Hello Everyone,

We've recently been deploying XenApp to all our users.  I have ran across a strange issue that I can't seem to solve.  I have one user that can't start a session in XenApp.  Whenever you click to launch the application it hangs at "Please wait for the Local Session Manager" for 1 - 2 mins and then just closes.  This only happens to this one user out of about 150 users.  It's user related because this happens on every PC they are logged into.  I can't find any error messages as to what it could be.  There's nothing logged on the servers or the PCs.  I can see that the login fails on Director Dashboard with the failed reason of "other".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joey 

18 answers to this question

We're using roaming profiles.  Just as an update to this as well.  We've worked with Citrix support on this for about 8 hours and still unable to find the issue with the single user.  To fix it, we just deleted the user account and recreated it. A lot of work for one user, but worth it to get rid of the problem.

• Like 3

I had this, or something similar at least, happen at a previous company. What I discovered there was the help desk had deleted their Citrix Roaming Profile trying to fix a problem with the application. The application only ran on a single server. When the user would attempt to login to the server it would attempt to create a TEMP profile folder and fail. 

Eventually, I had to parse through the registry, searching for the user AD SID, and delete anything profile related. Once I got all that taken care of, the user was able to log in and get a new profile created and use the application again. 

This happened several times while I was there.

Try this... From Carl Stalhood.

CTX212439 Desktop Session Stuck in Pre-Logon State with Message “Please wait for the Local Session Manager”:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters\MaxTokenSize (DWORD) = 48000

Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\GracePeriod\L$

• Like 3

Try this... From Carl Stalhood.

CTX212439 Desktop Session Stuck in Pre-Logon State with Message “Please wait for the Local Session Manager”:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters\MaxTokenSize (DWORD) = 48000

Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\GracePeriod\L$

The maxtokensize can correct login issues when the user is a member of a large number of groups, especially nested groups (i think 255+ of them.)

Hello my Citrix friends!

I need your help. I have two provisioning servers of version 7.11.0.6. The XenApp target devices is version XenApp 7.11

We get the problem every time I start the load balancing on the golden image, the message will appear when you try to launch an application or desktop: "Please wait for Local Session Manager" then the window disappears and no session has been created and sometimes it creats instead "zombie session" with status "disconnected"

The servers are installed with Windows Server 2012 R2. I've tried all the suggestions I've read here, but it's still not working. I've also tested changing the setting on the network adapter: "Make sure to register this connection's addresses in DNS was unchecked on NIC's TCP / IP Advanced IP Settings below The DNS tab "

Do you have any other suggestions I can test to resolve this issue we have? Thankful for answers and help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Nabbe

Right now I'm seeing this issue on my newly added Windows Server 2016 w/ VDA v7.11.0.86, deliverung "Applications and Desktops", as well.

Everytime I try to reconnect a disconnected session the logon process gets stuck at "Please wait for Local Session Manager"... I could wait for ages and nothing would change.

I once wrote an article about troubleshooting such issues, but I guess this could be something else entirely:

http://blog.ollischer.com/xenappxendesktop-please-wait-for-local-session-manager-message-when-logging-into-rds

I'll try to analyze this as well and will post any results here.

Alex

Hello Everyone,

We've recently been deploying XenApp to all our users.  I have ran across a strange issue that I can't seem to solve.  I have one user that can't start a session in XenApp.  Whenever you click to launch the application it hangs at "Please wait for the Local Session Manager" for 1 - 2 mins and then just closes.  This only happens to this one user out of about 150 users.  It's user related because this happens on every PC they are logged into.  I can't find any error messages as to what it could be.  There's nothing logged on the servers or the PCs.  I can see that the login fails on Director Dashboard with the failed reason of "other".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joey 

Hi, which OS are you unsing?

Do you have already checked to delete only the userclass.dat?

We had the same issue on customer site, update the vda agent to 7.14 fixed the problem.

I had exactly the same problem when first upgrading to 7.x. The local session manager hang was solved by adding some VDA process exclusions to the AntiVirus client (brokeragent.exe...). It's possible the ICA session is timing out waiting for the local session manager to complete so the session closes.

Check the event logs to see any WMI queries are running in the background.  if any GPO are running with  bad WMI filter query it will stuk the session that message for long time. In our environment AD team linked a GPO with WMI filter to apply only for the servers having office 2016. The WMI filter was checking on the servers if office 2016 is installed which delayed the logon

In my case any users having the SCRIL flag enabled on their profile had this issue when connecting to any Windows Server 2016 VDA. It would be stuck in "Please wait for Local Session Manager" indefinitely, disabling SCRIL flag on the user profile fixed the issue. We are still in the midst of figuring out a solution without having to resort to disable this setting.