Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenserver 7, VDI copy action failed, VDI's now missing

Resolve IT

Question

When attempting to move a VDI's to a new SR, the copy failed for unknown reasons with the error "The VDI copy action has failed". Now the disk is missing from the VM storage list, will not show up on either the old SR nor new, and does not show in an xe sr-list.

I do see a "base copy" VDI with the same size as the original VDI, but it is RO.

How do I go about recovering from this? Can I make the base copy rw and re-mount that on my VM?

I'm really in a bind here because the backups i have of the VM are a day out of date.

Please help!

13 answers to this question

Seems like I remember that being a known issue, is your XenServer fully up to date on patches? But yes, this is why I really don't like doing storage moves of any kind. There is the possibility of data loss. I can't remember if a hotfixes addresses this specifically or not, but it does sound familiar. I'm afraid there is likely no way to recover.

--Alan--

Unbelievable.  I just ran into this bug myself. Whats odd is it didn't delete the vdi was moving, it instead chose to remove another vdi associated with the VM. Fortunately its a backup that I can recreate, but will still be a PITA. i am just floored that this wasn't caught sooner. Deleted data is BAD.

--Alan--

I have just fallen victim to this bug and really shocked that its remained in the base image. Our client has just upgraded from 6.2 to 7.0. Was insufficient free space on the storage to take snapshots to live migrate VMs so the VM was shut down and attempted to move. XenCenter attempted to do a snapshot move even with the VM offline, with insufficient space, the move was aborted and the VDI is gone.

Please tell me there is a way to recover and attach the VDI. I cannot believe such a serious bug is left available to new customers.

4 and 17 are both major hotfixes with regards to storage. No movement of VM's should be performed until systems are up to date. Sorry to see you have lost a VDI. In our case we do storage snapshots as well so I was able to recover. There could possibly be a way to recover a deleted VDI, but I'm not savvy enough to attempt that.

--Alan--

I did.  Luckily I hadn't begun customizing the specific VM so I was able to convert that back to a new template.

But between this and my constant issues with the Conversion Manager tool (it cannot migrate Centos 6 VMs, in direct contradiction to their documentation) I have to say that I'm becoming very frustrated with XenServer.  It doesn't appear that Citrix is taking their product very seriously.  No wonder Amazon dropped them.