xenapp 7.12 Azure MCS

Started by Anders Eriksson , 12 December 2016 - 12:48 AM
16 replies to this topic

Anders Eriksson Members

Anders Eriksson
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Hi,

Tried every possible way to create a master image and then creating machine catalog and deploying machines created with MCS. This involves Azure CSP subscription.

Is there some issues with Xenapp 7.12 and MCS creation in Azure?

Adding some screenshots if anyone else experience the same issues.

I have tried both HDD and SSD, with Standard and premium storage.

Both options fails with same error.

Error message displayed in Citrix Studio

An error occurred while preparing the image. Ensure that the hypervisor has sufficient resources (such as memory) for additional machines.

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
ErrorID : FailedToStartImagePreparationVm
TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
InternalErrorMessage : Error powering on machine

Machines running is Windows 2016 servers

Attached Thumbnails

• Azure_error.jpg

Benjamin Nordtorp Members

Benjamin Nordtorp
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

Hi Anders,

Sorry for not telling I have the answer. I am having the same issue as you. WS2016 and 7.12. Turned off and stopped the master image VM. Status of the VM is now "Stopped (deallocated)".

The copy job lasted about 20 minutes and failed with the same error message. The progress bar was close to the beginning the whole time.

Paul Browne Citrix Employees

Paul Browne
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:46 PM

Hi, I have not heard of this issue before and it has not turned up in testing before.

Can you capture some CDF please of a failed catalog create and email to me? 

Thanks

Paul

Anders Eriksson Members

Anders Eriksson
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

Hi!

Also made a support case directly to Azure team, seems we are missing some Azure subscription though we are running with Azure CSP. So Im rather confused. We can create as many vm´s we prefer but somehow cant use MCS provisioning which I find rather strange.

Still havent got this solved exactly what we are missing, but will update ASAP when I know further.

This was the statement from the investigation our issue.

As we checked you don’t have Microsoft Azure subscription as of now. Please find below the screen shot for the same.

Please let us know if you want to purchase a Microsoft Azure subscription.

Benjamin Nordtorp
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Anders, I tried to run the creation with license type set to "Yes" (use on-premise license server), and got an error little bit different.

Terminating Error:
An error occurred while preparing the image.

And in Machine Catalog it says the following:

The Machine Catalog could not be loaded due to the following errors:
There are no master images associated with this Machine Catalog.

It also refers to https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127068, but seems to be valid for XenDesktop 5.x only.

Get-BrokerCatalog does not have PVSForVM property.

MinimumFunctionalLevel          : L7_9
Name                            : West Europe - XA
PersistUserChanges              : Discard
ProvisioningSchemeId            :
ProvisioningType                : MCS
PvsAddress                      :
PvsDomain                       :
RemotePCDesktopGroupPriorities  : {}
RemotePCDesktopGroupUids        : {}
RemotePCHypervisorConnectionUid :
Scopes                          :
SessionSupport                  : MultiSession
TenantId                        :
UUID                            : da931f6e-a062-4ec2-8882-0bb4ded6c32c
Uid                             : 4
UnassignedCount                 : 0
UsedCount                       : 0
ZoneName                        : Primary
ZoneUid                         : ca0bfc18-fe46-4909-9457-07ce25ea6452

Anders Eriksson Members

Anders Eriksson
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

Still investigating this issue with Microsoft Azure CSP support. Will update asap when I have a solution or answer from the support!

Robin Hobo Members

Robin Hobo
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Any update on this? Facing the same problem here..

Thanks

Anders Eriksson Members

Anders Eriksson
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

Sorry for late answer back!

Solution is the following

If your master image VM is provisioned in the Premium storage account then just shutting down the VM from the portal isn’t enough. You also need to detach the disk from the VM to use it as master image in provisioning. But in Azure Resource Manager you cannot detach the disk while the VM is still available. So you need to delete the VM from the portal, this will only delete the VM but keep the OS disk in the storage account. The NIC corresponding to the VM also needs to be deleted separately.

Br Anders

Robin Hobo Members

Robin Hobo
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hi Anders Eriksson,

Thanks for this update!

That was not my problem since I uploaded a custom image from my on-prem environment. I found a different solution here :  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX220026

Meanwhile I wrote a complete step-by-step guide on how to get this working : http://www.robinhobo.com/how-to-install-and-configure-citrix-xendesktop-7-12-with-windows-server-2016-hosts-running-on-microsoft-azure/

Benjamin Nordtorp
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Hi Anders Eriksson,

Thanks for this update!

That was not my problem since I uploaded a custom image from my on-prem environment. I found a different solution here :  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX220026

Meanwhile I wrote a complete step-by-step guide on how to get this working : http://www.robinhobo.com/how-to-install-and-configure-citrix-xendesktop-7-12-with-windows-server-2016-hosts-running-on-microsoft-azure/

Thanks for the reply Robin, this have to be the same issue as I had. It was a custom image from on-prem. 

Sebastian Mair Members

Sebastian Mair
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

hello,

i tried today to create a mcs based machine Group over azure ( w2016 template from azure)

i get the following error, tried to delet e the vm and nic.

Error Id: XDDS:0DAA3833

Ausnahme:
 Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ProvisioningTaskException Beim Vorbereiten des Images ist ein Fehler aufgetreten.
 bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.CheckForTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
 bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
 bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
 bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
 bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

we are using Xenapp 7.13, VDA also 7.13

any ideas? also disabled ram Caching and disk Caching.

Kind regards,

sebastian

Ashish Phule Citrix Employees

Ashish Phule
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

From the error it looks like something went wrong during the image preparation. 

But the exception message doesn’t have much details to tell what exactly went wrong. Can we get more logs around this issue?

Can you please run the CDF logging when you are trying to create the catalog and share the logs? 

To learn more about MCS provisioning on Azure please visit https://www.citrix.com/blogs/tag/xaonazure/

and https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/11/08/a-to-z-a-deployment-guide-for-citrix-xenapp-in-azure/

Sebastian Mair Members

Sebastian Mair
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

hello, thansk for your comment. but has it something to do with my azure agreement? i only have a visual studio premium subscription. we dont have an azure enterprise agreement.

how can i run the CDF logging?  like this one https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX200341 ?

kind regards,

sebastian

Stephane Thirion CTP Member

Stephane Thirion
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

hi Sebastian

I had the same issue with the same error...

http://www.archy.net/cloudburtsting-xenapp-xendesktop-in-azure-22/

I just tried again and it worked....

Stephane

Sebastian Mair Members

Sebastian Mair
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Hello Stephane, did you use the [HUB] template or the normale one? i cannot choose the HUB, because we dont have an Enterprise Agreement..

i tried it many times, same error.

at the meantime, i also deleted the vm and the network card, so that the disk only is left, but same error.

sebastian

Stephane Thirion CTP Member

Stephane Thirion
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

That was the normal one as well, I do have a Visual Studio Premium MSDN account.

Could you copy and paste the whole error stack ?

Stephane

Sebastian Mair Members

Sebastian Mair
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

hello, attached is the error.

thanx,

sebastian

Attached Files