PVS 7.11 - BSOD with Machines Created by XenDesktop Wizard

Started by Christian Schwendemann , 16 September 2016 - 10:03 AM
50 replies to this topic

Christian Schwendemann Members

Christian Schwendemann
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hi

I am Citrix Trainer and teaching a Citrix CXD 203 Class right now.

Students were interested in XD 7.11 and PVS 7.11 so we upgraded

We migrated from MCS based Win8 Image with VDA 7.11 to PVS and used the PVS Image Wizard for this. The Master was able to boot in Private as well as Standard Mode (we set it to RAM with overflow)

All PVS XenDesktop Wizard created machines (right click site - > xd wizard) are booting and after the screen (see pic1 attached) where you can see the boot informations it ends up with a blue screeen (see picture2 attached).

I tried to change it from overflow to only ram, I tried to format the wc disk myself, I tried to recreate the target by hand... no chance.

the master vm is the only machine that is able to boot.

I´ll investigate after class, but I never had anything like this until today.

any idea whats going wrong?

PS:
I use VHDX to show, students vhd

Attached Thumbnails

• screen pvs problem.PNG
  • blue.PNG

Martijn Kools Members

Martijn Kools
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

Looks like a network issue as described here: http://www.robinhobo.com/a-duplicate-ip-address-was-assigned-on-provisioning-services-target-devices/

Try to mount the vdisk and remove all the IP info as described in the article. I know it's  for 2008 R2 but it should still be valid for Windows 8 and later.

Christian Schwendemann
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

thanks for the hint

the IP´s are populated when I mount and load the hive.

removing did not change anything :( still the same issue

I think its more likely something with the MIO going wrong or with the bni stack again..

cause when you look at the screenshot, it does not show what server and what mode it is using, while we see the windows screen for a short moment

so single io works and the switch of the stack does not

(see screenshot of master booting)

Attached Thumbnails

• boot.PNG

Kishore Kunisetty Citrix Employees

Kishore Kunisetty
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Are you trying to boot the master vm as well as the provisioned vm's in same hypervisor host?

Also are you using the same template to provision new vms from setup wizard?

Thanks

KishoreK

Christian Schwendemann
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Yep, its a single XenServer Host Lab environment

And yes, its the same template

the lab has gone, but you can allocate yourself a CXD-203 Lab and try to upgrade and check if it works for you.

Kishore Kunisetty Citrix Employees

Kishore Kunisetty
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for clarifying. 

I have emailed PVS SME to see if they are aware of this issue.

If you manage to repro the same next time, could you please log the support case so that this BSOD will be taken care.

I would hope the instructions on the course should not have been suggesting the process of "migrating MCS based image to use for PVS".

Thanks

KishoreK

Christian Schwendemann
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

Problem is, that the class ends at friday and on friday we are doing pvs stuff. As lab ends then too and cannot be extended, there is no time to call a case.

We dont do this normally in classes, but students were interested to see the upgrade and process of migration.

But anyhow we migrate from the MCS Image to a PVS Image.

thanks, best

Christopher Cable Members

Christopher Cable
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

I'm seeing the STOP 0x0000007B BSOD on my end.

My setup:

PVS 7.8 upgraded to 7.11.

VMWare 5.5

In this environment there are 3 different virtual desktops, all Win7 and working fine in 7.8.

Two of them were updated to 7.11 target software in a Merged Maintenance version without any issues.

The 3rd one is getting this BSOD.

Troubleshooting steps I've done:

Reversed imaged machine

Uninstalled VMWare tools & PVS Target software

Ensured MS hotfix for iSCSI is installed as well as making sure there are no ghost NICs

Checked the VMWare Configuration Parameters for "ethernet0.pciSlotNumber" and verified Master VM and targets are set to value of "192"

Created a new VHDX from the reverse image. The same issue occurs.

All 3 of these VDI were built from the same Template and only this one is having an issue.

The Master VM can boot from it without any issues. The target devices BSOD and reboot.

Carl Fallis Citrix Employees

Carl Fallis
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

any chance you can get a crash dump and open a support case, you can get the instruction on collecting a crash dump on ESX from https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX125086 ?

Carl Fallis
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

On XenServer you can take a look at the following articles for other targets just make sure you local drive has enough room on it for the dump file and anything else that is redirected to the drive:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX123642

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127871

Carl

Christopher Cable
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

any chance you can get a crash dump and open a support case, you can get the instruction on collecting a crash dump on ESX from https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX125086 ?

Hello Carl. I've tried getting crash dumps from a PVS target in the past, it has never worked properly.

I'll go ahead and try it again though and try to upload the file.

I have created a case with support. I'll PM you the case #.

Edited by Christopher Cable, 21 September 2016 - 08:30 PM.

Carl D Roach Members

Carl D Roach
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

I am having the same issue with sealing a Windows 2012 R2 image with Target Device Software v7.11. The scripts and procedures we have had in place for multiple versions have worked fine, until this version. I had a working v7.9 image that i had updated and sealed and upgraded the device software to v7.11 and i then get the BSoD on boot up, no matter the server. I have put the same image back on the gold master as well as other target devices with no luck. Again, the seal process works fine on v7.9, but fails when upgraded to v7.11. I then built a brand new base image with a fresh install of v7.11 device software, and experienced the same BSoD after sealing the image. I have not opened a case yet, but i have a few test servers that i am playing with right now to see if i can figure out what/why it's failing.

***10/14/16 Update*** About 1:30am this morning I had an epiphany. The image would fail right after the PVS Version would pop up on booting. This was also the spot where normally you would see the IP address of the Target Device as well as the PVS server pop up there. It never did, so I started digging in to our seal script. Turns out, there was one line in the seal script that ONLY fails when using v7.11 of the target device software. The line is basically resetting the IP stack for the nic, and destroying the needed keys in order for PVS to pass the ip configuration from the BD ISO to the image. 

"netsh int ip reset" completely fries the image when sealing for reuse. After removing that line from the seal script, the image seals fine, and is able to be reused on other boxes without a problem.

Christopher Cable
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

The error in the CTX article is very similar to what I'm experiencing. The Stop message and everything in the parenthesis is identical. My BSOD doesn't have the "Error : Socket" though.

Http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX200405

Frank Schifferstein Members

Frank Schifferstein
  • 554 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:24 AM

well, effects are similar to the issue I see, but I don't use the Wizard and Hyper-V and no migration to PVS was done thougth... https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/381348-pvs-711-hyper-v-gen2-bdm-boot-still-not-possible-in-711/

Christian Schwendemann
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:04 AM

seems to be a general bug with 7.11 and not only when migrating or using the wizard as I heard from some other partners and endcustomers

PLEASE EVERYONE AFFECTED CLICK THE " I HAVE THIS PROBLEM / ME 2 " BUTTON ON TOP RIGHT CORNER

so Citrix will get aware of this

Christian Schwendemann
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

@CARL FALLIS:

I received a new trainer prep lab from citrix training to rebuild this.

I downloaded the ISO and did exactly the same steps as before.. now the issue is not happening

Did someone update already the pvs iso? I dont think so?

PVS states during boot the same version 7.11.0.4 but I dont have an build number of the first day release iso to compare

I upgraded the existing pvs

I upgraded the mcs based image by installing the target device software and migrated it using the image wizard and I deployed using the PVS XenDesktop Wizard..

so all the same. Funny, as in the class where I showed it 5 students were doing exact the same and we all had the bluescreens.

Carl Fallis
  • 980 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

There have been no updates to the PVS distributions that I know of.   Did you ever retrieve the BSOD error, we are interested in what BSOD code is?

Carl

Thorsten Ellmers Members

Thorsten Ellmers
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

hi

at the moment it looks like we have the same problem here.

but we work on HP Moonshot, if we boot up the fresh .vhdx image in standard mode, boing bsod:-(

PVS Server is on 7.11, we have running vm's with 7.9 target software.

server image is 2012R2

what we recognize is, the Interface ID in registry where we delete dhcpIpAdress changed

i will try to go back on 7.9 target software, and see what's happens.

​greets

Thorsten

Attached Thumbnails

• bsod.jpg

Tobias Geilinger Members

Tobias Geilinger
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

Hi Christian

We have the Same Issue as mentioned by Thorsten... We open a Case with Citrix and let you know when we could solve the Problem...

Until then we move back to 7.9, hope this helps...

Regards

Tobias (ehemals BCD ;))

Christopher Cable
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

I hope you get better support than I did. Support told me that my image is corrupted and needs to be rebuilt from scratch. I highly doubt it's the image, I can use 7.6, 7.8, and 7.9 PVS target software on it without any issues. 7.11 is the only one with the BSOD.