Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Dell Openmanage in XenServer 7

Mark Hamilton

Question

Just in case anyone wanted to set up Dell Openmanage on XenServer 7 I thought I would post my steps.

First you need to add the dell repo.  Dell has an easy way to drop that in for Redhat that works well for Centos which Xen is built on.

wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/DSU_16.05.00/bootstrap.cgi | bash

You should see something like this:

Importing key into RPM.
Write repository configuration
Done!

Next we have to fix the Centos repo that is in XenServer.  Use your favorite editor, like vi or nano, and edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo.  You will need Comment out (add a # in front of) the mirrorlist line in the [base] section.  Then add the following line after the line you just commented:

baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7.2.1511/os/x86_64/

Edited 4/3/2017:

To deal with the base url changing every time Centos updates I changed my baseurl to this in my latest XenServer 7.1 install:

baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/

You have to do this or the mirrorlist will not be able to find the appropriate mirror since this is really a XenServer and not a Centos 7 server.  Without this you will see an error when you try to use the repo.  I use kernel.org.  You can use whichever Centos mirror you prefer.  Also, the latest 7.2.1511 release worked fine for me.

Next you use this command to get Openmanage installed enabling the repo you just modified to get the dependencies.

yum --enablerepo=base install srvadmin-all

You will have to say yes install the list and yes to allow the import of the Centos key.

Next use an editor again to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables.

Add the following line after the line that has ESTABLISHED,RELATED in it:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 1311 -j ACCEPT

This will allow you through the firewall to the Openmanage port.  Use the following command to activate what you just edited:

systemctl restart iptables

Last you need to start the Openmange services.

/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/srvadmin-services.sh start

You are now done.  Just browse to https://ip.of.server:1311

• Like 1

24 answers to this question

Just for fun, here's a copy/paste command set which will set the whole thing up in one go.  The only issue is that the dell repo 404's a lot...if it fails, wait a while and re-run the whole command set.  You know the wget command works when 

wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/dsu/bootstrap.cgi | bash
sed -i -r '15s|^mirrorlist=|#mirrorlist=|' /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
sed -i -r '16s|^.*$|baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/|' /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
sed -i '17s|0|1|' /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
yum -y --enablerepo=base install srvadmin-all
sed -i 's|ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT$|ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT\n-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 1311 -j ACCEPT|g' /etc/sysconfig/iptables
systemctl restart iptables
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/srvadmin-services.sh start

• Like 1

Thank you for the information!

I'm rather unsure about the yum repo part. Without modifying the baseurl of the CentOS base repositories, really there seems to be no way to install any further software. I am a bit concerned regarding the stability of Xenserver 7 when changing this. I would like to install more software (like openmanage) and even use the epel repository, but I am a bit concerned regarding the stability of Xenserver 7. Is it safe to do? 

I believe that if you modify, or "hack", the underlying operating system in any way you are technically voiding any warranty.  So, is it safe?  Probably not.  That being said.  What I did above was tell yum where to find the files for that repo that was already there.  I also did not enable the repo permanently but used the --enablerepo parameter so it would only be used for this one command.  Openmanage just needed a few packages from the Centos base repo to install so I made them available.

I have not added any other repositories to XenServer so I don't know what affect it will have on the server.  If you did install the repo I am not sure it would even work without doing some similar modification to the epel baseurl or mirrorlist.  I also don't know if, during the install of some other software, the repo would pull in packages that replace important files used by XenServer.  In short, if you are not very careful about the packages you allow to install you may end up with a broken system.

Others may have more experience with other repos on XenServer.

Mark

We've historically installed check_mk, salt-minion, Dell OMSA, and a LLDP agent on xenservers from 5.0 through 6.5 without significant issues

These main problems may come about :

1) doing a gratuitous  "yum upgrade -y" and getting too many packages out of synch with the xenserver sepecific ones.

2) XS65 specific because centos5 is rather old - trying to find "bridging" packages that are compiled for centos5 but new enough to  provide the support required.  salt-minion and python under xenserver 6.5 are first to mind.

3) kludge software raid underneath xenserver.  The installer won't see this and will merrily wipe out your entire install.

Hi Mark Hamilton,

Thanks for your sharing.

I got a problem,when I'm doing the following steps.

yum --enablerepo=base install srvadmin-all

The error message was:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: python-smbios-2.2.27-4.4.1.el7.x86_64 (@dell-omsa-indep)
           Requires: libsmbios = 2.2.27-4.4.1.el7
           Removing: libsmbios-2.2.27-4.4.1.el7.x86_64 (@dell-omsa-indep)
               libsmbios = 2.2.27-4.4.1.el7
           Updated By: libsmbios-2.2.27-1908.9058.el7.x86_64 (dell-system-update_dependent)
               libsmbios = 2.2.27-1908.9058.el7
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I hope you will be able to provide the information.

I am not sure.  Just to test I grabbed an R710 that was not in use and dropped a clean install of Xen 7 on it.  The procedure above worked with no issues.  I literally copied and pasted from the post above.

Maybe you didn't get the baseurl in and the mirrorlist commented out in the /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo?

Mark

Don't really know of any tricks.  I don't know what versions of openmanage support the c5220 or c6220.  You can try an older repo from dell.

Go here: http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/

From there you can choose an older repo for the first step.  However, I don't know if some of the older repos support RH/Centos 7.  I could be wrong but I think 7.4 was the first version to start supporting Redhat 7.

Mark

We have modified the repos for quite a few versions of XenServer to be able to install nrpe and such tools.

It has never caused us any trouble and I am having a hard time seeing how it would as long as you act carefully.

With that said, you really should test all your installations on a test-server before doing it in production.
I've seen cases where you install something that creates a conflict and that gets things out of sync which will affect stability.

//Niklas

On 26/09/2016 at 5:11 PM, Craig Falconer said:

Is there any trick to supporting older hardware?   I have c5220 blades which are getting on.  Under XS6.5 we used OMSA 7.3.2 and it worked fine.   How can I support OpenManage on dell c5220 and c6220 blades under xenserver 7 ?

I'm struggling with the c5220 blades too - no good solution there.  Anyone with better suggestions feel free to comment.  Replacing would be awesome, but its not going to happen anytime soon :-\

On the plus side, c6220 blades work for me except for storage monitoring.

[root@c6220-2-2 ~]# omreport storage controllers
Error! Invalid command: controllers

My history shows I used this on the c6220

wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/DSU_17.08.00/bootstrap.cgi | bash
yum --enablerepo=base install srvadmin-all dell-system-update -y
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/srvadmin-services.sh restart      

/opt/monitoring/nagios/check_openmanage3  --no-storage     

The --no-storage is disappointing, you can't monitor physical or vdisks.

HI Guys,

i didnt manage to install OMSA i get this error message :

--> Processing Dependency: libsmbios.so.2()(64bit) for package: srvadmin-storage-9.1.0-2757.12163.el7.x86_64
Error: Package: srvadmin-storage-9.1.0-2757.12163.el7.x86_64 (dell-system-update_dependent)
           Requires: libsmbios.so.2()(64bit)
           Available: libsmbios-2.3.1-2757.12163.el7.x86_64 (dell-system-update_dependent)
               libsmbios.so.2()(64bit)
           Installed: libsmbios-2.3.3-6.el7.x86_64 (@base)
               Not found

what i dont understand is that i have the package :

[root@srp-xsi-62 etc]# rpm -qa | grep libsmbios*
libsmbios-2.3.3-6.el7.x86_64

any ideas ?

cheers,

On 5/18/2018 at 11:39 PM, Raouf Aoues said:

i didnt manage to install OMSA i get this error message :

--> Processing Dependency: libsmbios.so.2()(64bit) for package: srvadmin-storage-9.1.0-2757.12163.el7.x86_64
Error: Package: srvadmin-storage-9.1.0-2757.12163.el7.x86_64 (dell-system-update_dependent)
           Requires: libsmbios.so.2()(64bit)
           Available: libsmbios-2.3.1-2757.12163.el7.x86_64 (dell-system-update_dependent)
               libsmbios.so.2()(64bit)
           Installed: libsmbios-2.3.3-6.el7.x86_64 (@base)
               Not found

what i dont understand is that i have the package :

[root@srp-xsi-62 etc]# rpm -qa | grep libsmbios*
libsmbios-2.3.3-6.el7.x86_64

Yeah CentOS is 7.5 now, and this particular file is diverging from what OMSA wants to use.  Its not specific to Xenserver.

We're seeing the same problem on vanilla centos hosts upgrading from centos7.4 to 7.5   

The answer is to wait for Dell to come out with a new version of OMSA.   In the meantime you can use --skip-broken to avoid upgrading libsmbios and anything depending on it, but that won't help you with a fresh install. 

This is not unique to xenserver.

15 hours ago, Mark Hamilton said:

Set your baseurl to: 

baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7.4.1708/os/x86_64/

I just set up a new server and it worked fine by specifying the version of Centos in the baseurl.

Mark

Hi mark thks for the answer.

could you please send me a screen shot of your "CentOS-Base.repo" plz ?

cheers,

I was able to get this running on Xenserver 7.6 by changing the wget url to wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/DSU_19.01.00/bootstrap.cgi | bash

I was running into dependency errors also I modified the baseurl to baseurl=http://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/

I hope this helps somebody else.

Thank you,

Matt