Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XD 7.9 - Error creating Delivery Group adding apps from startmenu

Andreas Goertz

Question

XenDesktop 7.9 on XenServer 7. Two Delivery Controllers. One on each host in the pool.

Created a machine catalog via MCS based on prepared (not syspreped of course) Base-Image. XenApp VDA on 2012R2. Two machines. They register successfully with both Delivery Controllers.

Now creating the first and only Delivery Group using the Machine Catalog mentioned before. Trying to add apps from the startmenu wizard, I get this error:

Error Id: XDDS:5C0D509B

Ausnahme:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Startmenüverknüpfungen konnten nicht abgerufen werden.
       bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)
       bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript.DiscoverVdaApps(IProgressReporter findingMachineProgress, IProgressReporter loadingApplicationsProgress)
       bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript.RunScript()
       bei Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.Run()
       bei Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.Dialogs.StartMenuApplicationDiscoverer.Start()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : NoStartMenuShortcuts
    Sdk Error Message : Start menu shortcuts could not be retrieved
    Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Broker.NoStartMenuShortcuts,Citrix.Broker.Admin.SDK.GetBrokerMachineStartMenuShortcutsCommand
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript
    10.06.2016 12:44:31

Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts  -AdminAddress "cdc1.XXXXXX.XXX:80" -MachineName "XXXXXX\CTX-XA-1"
    Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts : Start menu shortcuts could not be retrieved
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts], SdkOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Broker.NoStartMenuShortcuts,Citrix.Broker.Admin.SDK.GetBrokerMachineStartMenuShortcutsCommand

No idea why. Annoying. Running the tests of machine catalog and the delivery group everything seems fine, just the warning that the connection to xenserver isn't https yet.

I tested this before, based on the same Base-Image and it worked. Removed the testing environment and did exactly the same just created two machines instead of one and used a different naming scheme. New computeraccounts get created in AD. I can share the desktop and connect without problems.

Any hints are appreciated, thanks.

25 answers to this question

Was curious so I set up another machine catalog but no MCS involved this time, full clones by sysprepd xenserver templates. Same results. Also as soon when I open the applications menu in Studio this pops up:

Error Id: XDDS:E6B9A789

Ausnahme:
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht.
       bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       bei System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

Innere Ausnahme:
    System.NullReferenceException Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
       bei Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.Pages.SelectGroupsPageViewModel.LoadPageData()
       bei Citrix.Console.CommonControls.Wizard.PageBaseViewModel.LoadPageDataInternal()
       bei Citrix.Console.CommonControls.Wizard.PageBaseViewModel.<.ctor>b__1()
       bei Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ViewModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Invoke>b__0()

I don't know feels like something is really messed up and I have to start over again .. tomorrow.

The VDA would have registered. The Get Start Menu apps call is a separate call. I'd be interested to see if there is an event log related to that. If not would you be able to obtain CDF traces (using CDF Control or Scout) to help me diagnose the issue please? Thanks.

The NullReferenceException you are seeing is unrelated. What MMC action are you using? Create or edit aplication?

There is no event logged related to that. I uploaded a trace via Scout to the CIS with no issues detected. Is there a "HowTo/WhatToTrace" so I can get you exactly what you asked for? I'm not that familiar with CDF traces.

I checked the Master-Image again. Booted it up and this time I let it register with a new Machine Catalog. The "Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts -MachineName DOMAIN\MasterImage" works fine with it. It lists all applications.

The only difference now - I thought after reading http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/351355-no-applications-were-found-on-the-master-image - is that the Master has no GPOs pointing at it, so no startmenu restrictions are in effect etc. I tested adding the network service rights but had no effect. So I disabled the GPOs on the live machines but again:

Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts : Start menu shortcuts could not be retrieved
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts -MachineName DOMAIN\LIVESERVER1 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts], SdkOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Broker.NoStartMenuShortcuts,Citrix.Broker.Admin.SDK.GetBrokerMachineStartMenuShortcutsCommand

Same Issue here..  

XenApp 7.8 on vSphere 6

Created a Machine Catalog with one server based on 2012 R2 (VDA 7.8). I'm not able to add any applications:

Error Id: XDDS:5C0D509B

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Start menu shortcuts could not be retrieved.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript.DiscoverVdaApps(IProgressReporter findingMachineProgress, IProgressReporter loadingApplicationsProgress)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.Run()
       at Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.Dialogs.StartMenuApplicationDiscoverer.Start()

Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Broker.NoStartMenuShortcuts,Citrix.Broker.Admin.SDK.GetBrokerMachineStartMenuShortcutsCommand
    6/16/2016 4:03:27 PM

Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts  -AdminAddress "XXXXX:80" -MachineName "XXXXXXX"
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: ( :) [Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts], SdkOperationException

All system checks are fine and I can connect to a published Desktop on the same server.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Same issue here, XenApp 7.8 on vSphere 6 with 2012 R2 XenApp servers running 7.8 VDA.

I can add apps manually ok by browsing to c$ but not from the start menu. I am using PVS 7.8 machine catalogs.

Error Id: XDDS:BDD41B19

Exception:

Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Start menu shortcuts could not be retrieved.

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript.DiscoverVdaApps(IProgressReporter findingMachineProgress, IProgressReporter loadingApplicationsProgress)

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.DiscoverVdaApplicationsScript.RunScript()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.PSApplicationService.DiscoverApplications(DiscoverVdaApplicationsRequest discoveryRequest, Canceller canceller, IProgressReporter progressReporter)

at Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.Dialogs.StartMenuApplicationDiscoverer.Start()

23/06/2016 12:25:02

Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts  -AdminAddress "XXXXXXX:80" -MachineName "XXXXXXXXX"

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-BrokerMachineStartMenuShortcuts], SdkOperationException

Hi everyone!

i am getting the following error on a fresh 7.9 Installation after clicking on the "Add Applications" button in Citrix Studio:

Error Id: XDDS:E6B9A789

Exception:
    System.NullReferenceException Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.Pages.SelectGroupsPageViewModel.LoadPageData()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.Wizard.PageBaseViewModel.LoadPageDataInternal()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.Wizard.PageBaseViewModel.<.ctor>b__1()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ViewModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Invoke>b__0()
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

After i click on close everything goes on as normal. I can select a Group and the an application from the startmenu etc. and it works.

Has anybody experienced this before?

Thanks in advance

Bert

Hi all !

I have exactly the same error as you Bert Kaeding.

In the applications view, when clicking 'Add Applications' I immediately get "An unknow error occurred".

errorId="XDDS:3D105187

version="7.9.0.86

<ErrorData name="exception">Exception: System.NullReferenceException
   at Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.Pages.SelectGroupsPageViewModel.LoadPageData()
   at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.Wizard.PageBaseViewModel.LoadPageDataInternal()
   at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ViewModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Invoke>b__0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Anyone else?

Some additional info, we did setup SQL mirroring on SQL Server 2014 for the DataStore (in case this would be related)

Thanks,

Bart

Was curious so I set up another machine catalog but no MCS involved this time, full clones by sysprepd xenserver templates. Same results. Also as soon when I open the applications menu in Studio this pops up:

I don't know feels like something is really messed up and I have to start over again .. tomorrow.

I am also receiving this error ID when clicking Add Application in Citrix Studio. After acknlowledging the error the wizard opens as usual and I'm able to add the application. No problems accessing or launching either.

I'm running Xen App 7.9 with a single delivery controller and a separate application server.

There is nothing being logged in event viewer (warnings or errors).

XenDesktop 7.9 on XenServer 7. Two Delivery Controllers. One on each host in the pool.

Created a machine catalog via MCS based on prepared (not syspreped of course) Base-Image. XenApp VDA on 2012R2. Two machines. They register successfully with both Delivery Controllers.

Now creating the first and only Delivery Group using the Machine Catalog mentioned before. Trying to add apps from the startmenu wizard, I get this error:

No idea why. Annoying. Running the tests of machine catalog and the delivery group everything seems fine, just the warning that the connection to xenserver isn't https yet.

I tested this before, based on the same Base-Image and it worked. Removed the testing environment and did exactly the same just created two machines instead of one and used a different naming scheme. New computeraccounts get created in AD. I can share the desktop and connect without problems.

Any hints are appreciated, thanks.

The below steps will solve the problem

You can point your VDA to DDC by doing either of the following:

1) Disable Firewall on VDA server, Check the Controller can ping the VDA server. 

2) Go to appwiz.cpl, change VDA and point your DDC FQDN, Restart Master Image and update your catalog.

3) Add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Citrix\VirtualDesktopAgent\ListOfDDCs (REG_SZ) Value in Registry with your DDC FQDN, Restart Master Image and update your catalog.

After restarting please check your event logs, There will be logs if it failed or passed to obtain and contact DDC.

It would appear that even in version 7.13 this issue persist.  I have added the local server\Network Service account with the normal Read/Write access and I still receive the error.

However, I am able to publish a Desktop to the target and I can make an ICA connection to the said desktop with no errors.

Dear All,

My version is 7.12 and I am using the trial one.

When I want to add the application, from the start menu or Manually, I am taking the following error message. Even I can add manually, in the browser Cannot Start App error message is taken. Lastly, when I talked with one member of the Citrix group, he said that I have a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error Id: XDDS:20AFBC5A

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException There are no powered-on machines that can be browsed, and you cannot (or do not have permission to) power on a machine.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.FindBrowsableMachineScript.FindBestBrowsableMachine()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.FindBrowsableMachineScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.PSApplicationService.DiscoverApplications(DiscoverVdaApplicationsRequest discoveryRequest, Canceller canceller, IProgressReporter progressReporter)

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : UnknownError
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : FindBrowsableMachineScript
    2019/1/2 7:15:37

Set-Variable  -Name "_machineUids" -Value @(1)
    Get-BrokerMachine  -AdminAddress "fra1000015455.china.huawei.com:80" -Filter {(Uid -in $_machineUids)} -InMaintenanceMode $True -MaxRecordCount 1 -RegistrationState "Registered" -SortBy "+LoadIndex"
    Remove-Variable  -Name "_machineUids"
    Get-BrokerMachine  -AdminAddress "fra1000015455.china.huawei.com:80" -Filter {(Uid -in $_machineUids)} -MaxRecordCount 1 -RegistrationState "Registered" -SessionCount 0 -SortBy "+LoadIndex"
    Get-BrokerMachine  -AdminAddress "fra1000015455.china.huawei.com:80" -Filter {(Uid -in $_machineUids)} -MaxRecordCount 1 -RegistrationState "Registered" -SortBy "+LoadIndex"
    Get-BrokerMachine  -AdminAddress "fra1000015455.china.huawei.com:80" -Filter {(Uid -in $_machineUids)} -IsPhysical $False -MaxRecordCount 1 -PowerState "Off"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I've given the Full Permission(Read, write) to Administrator Tool folder.

And the problem is related to registration, How can I register VDA? 

image.thumb.png.f857e2c7e1539eb3cf53a292bf1295a5.png