Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Win10 VDI - disconnect

Support It1709153995

Question

Hello,

I would like to know how do you manage the new VDI's (Windows 10) without a disconnect option ?

I tested "tsdiscon" command of course but it is not user friendly at all.

Do you think Microsoft or Citrix will fix / add a disconnect option in the future ?

My users are really complaining about this.

Did you think to put in place some workarounds ? (usable by standard user, typing tsdiscon is not an option thus).

I was thinking to set an icon in the start menu (startmenulayout.xml), simple cmd with tsdiscon so they can click on it (easily) but this is not perfect (at least, this is what they told).

any other idea ?

21 answers to this question

Citrix updated CTX225970 with a Tech Preview fix, but it looks like it's just a 'Disconnect' option, available for 1703 and 1709. Naturally, this installation fails on my VDA (possibly because I'm using App Layering) on a VC runtime requirement, even though I have VC++ 2017 installed. They say a permanent fix will be included in a future Citrix release, and hopefully that will also include a 'Logoff' option.

• Like 2

Also tried several version without anly luck... Constantly getting the same error.

Action start 22:56:59: INSTALL.
Action start 22:56:59: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 22:56:59: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 22:56:59: AppSearch.
Action ended 22:56:59: AppSearch. Return value 1.
Action start 22:56:59: LaunchConditions.
MSI (s) (60:88) [22:56:59:048]: Product: Citrix Start Menu Disconnect Button -- Unable to find required version of VC Runtime Libraries

Action ended 22:56:59: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
Action ended 22:56:59: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: 9-7-2018  22:56:59 ===
MSI (s) (60:88) [22:56:59:052]: Product: Citrix Start Menu Disconnect Button -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (60:88) [22:56:59:054]: Het product is geïnstalleerd. Productnaam: Citrix Start Menu Disconnect Button. Productversie: 7.18.0.40. Producttaal: 1033. Fabrikant: Citrix Systems, Inc.. Fabrikant: Citrix Systems, Inc.. Status van geslaagde/mislukte installatie: 1603.

• Like 2

no, with Windows 10, vda 7.8, there is no "DISCONNECT" option in the power off menu .

You have : Sleep , Shutdown, restart but no disconnect option.

If you right click the start button, you have : shutdown or signout (but still no disconnect option)

If you click your name in the start menu : you have lock & signout but no disconnect.

In win7, we have a disconnect option. This is very handy because users can log on any terminal in the house without waiting for their profile to load.

Hope this is clearer.

We have implemented a fairly good method. Originally we had the start menu shortcut to run tsdiscon tool but we scrapped this in favour of the below:

On first login for user or implement it in your GI. We copy in (using AppSense) a shorcut "Disconnect.lnk" to the following users directory:

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1\

now when a user Right-Clicks the start menu they see this https://pasteboard.co/GIie7jQ.png option to Disconnect.

We haven't deployed W10 in VDI yet, but our solution is as follows (with the vDisk in Private Mode, or in the OS Layer if using App Layering):

1. Create two shortcuts - one for Sign out (target: C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe), and one for Disconnect (target: C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe)
  2. Create a folder named Power in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and copy both shortcuts to that location
  3. Include both of these shortcuts in the custom Start menu layout XML file that is set via GPO

While I'd love for Microsoft and Citrix to resolve this issue, I do think our users will find the stop-gap acceptable, if only because these icons are front and center in the Start menu.

Start.jpg

On 16/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, Nick Panaccio said:

Citrix updated CTX225970 with a Tech Preview fix, but it looks like it's just a 'Disconnect' option, available for 1703 and 1709. Naturally, this installation fails on my VDA (possibly because I'm using App Layering) on a VC runtime requirement, even though I have VC++ 2017 installed. They say a permanent fix will be included in a future Citrix release, and hopefully that will also include a 'Logoff' option.

It is not working for me either - tried on 1703 with VDA 7.13 and 7.15 LTSR CU2

Error still persist with VC++ 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 installed..

Come on Citrix - this is annoying when you know how to fix it ?

Note : The disconnect option is there using RDP... 

On 31-7-2018 at 3:47 PM, Nikolaj Strand said:

It is not working for me either - tried on 1703 with VDA 7.13 and 7.15 LTSR CU2

Error still persist with VC++ 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 installed..

Come on Citrix - this is annoying when you know how to fix it ?

Note : The disconnect option is there using RDP... 

I've got exactly the same issue.

Anyone from Citrix care to respond about which VC++ component(s) we need?

I've installed every VC++ version I could find.. but to no avail.

Removing the VC++ pre-req check from the MSI results does not work either. The button simply does not come available then.

Greetings,

Teun

On 2/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, Nick Panaccio said:

We haven't deployed W10 in VDI yet, but our solution is as follows (with the vDisk in Private Mode, or in the OS Layer if using App Layering):

1. Create two shortcuts - one for Sign out (target: C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe), and one for Disconnect (target: C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe)
  2. Create a folder named Power in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and copy both shortcuts to that location
  3. Include both of these shortcuts in the custom Start menu layout XML file that is set via GPO

While I'd love for Microsoft and Citrix to resolve this issue, I do think our users will find the stop-gap acceptable, if only because these icons are front and center in the Start menu.

Start.jpg

Hi. where did you get get the sign out and disconnect icons? I cannot find them anywhere!

Edited by divadiow
used wrong word