Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Power Button Windows 10 VDI

Luke Barton

Question

Hey Citrix Experts,

Is anyone aware if there is a way to remove to power button completely from the windows 10 start menu. The reason I ask is that in a VDI solution we would prefer to remove that component from the user. As when the user logs off the VDI it shutsdown automatically.

When I use the GPO to remove the shutdown, restart and hibernate command in windows 10, it leaves the power button visible, but if a user clicks on it, its simply a grey box which may be a little confusing.

They have also deprecated the group policy that changed what the power button does. It does not apply to windows 10.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

Ok guys so the shutdown icon can be completely removed win win 10 1703 or 1709 (cant remember the version they were introduced) by modifying or setting reg DWORD.

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/PolicyManager/current/device/Start

HidePowerButton = 1

Note this removes the power button all together however the user can still log off by clicking the user icon.

Reg Gpp that in via group policy ;-)

Personally the start key did not did not appear for me however I created it and manually entered the dword.

There are many additional options that can be modified. see attached image, this is a fresh 1709 with all options displayed.

Hopefully this helps!

image.png

• Like 5

It would be nice if Microsoft provided a way to hide the power button.  Or at least allow us to have Logoff as an option within it.

Users will get used to having a blank power button but they dont understand how something seemingly easy to hide cannot be hidden.  It kind of makes the IT or Citrix admin look like they have forgotten to hide it.  Oh well.

• Like 1

I've had the same experience with the "Remove and prevent access to Shutdown, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands" policy and Windows 10 and am unaware of a supported solution to removing it.

There is the "Launcher_ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen" DWORD that can be configured for the Start Screen. 

Not sure of one for the actual Start Menu though :( 

• Like 1

I've come across this issue also and have been unable to come up with a good solution as of yet. I even loaded up the new Anniversary Update of Win10 due out later this summer and it doesn't appear to have an option to remove the Power Button either. 

Seems a silly move by MS to not allow this. 

If anyone has an idea of how to accomplish this, I'd love to hear it.

• Like 1

Sorry...but I have similar Topics...but my expierence all over the years (because we are using VDI´s since many years) this visible power button is not a Problem for the users and not generating incidents. We are using the configuration to hide shutdown and restart and keeping the power button as it is and had never an incident about that. And...believe me the users who are using this System are not Special...are well prepared.

In my opinion...don´t try to customize too much in the OS. After 7 years Software deployment and expierence with different MS OS I would try to stay in the Standard whenever it´s possible. You will always have Trouble with that at each update of the OS or if something else is changing.

My advice in this case...let it be as it is and hide the Buttons but Keep the power button. It will make your life easier.

Best regards

Carsten

I opened a case at MS about a month ago. They tested it, they could reproduce it and this is the answer from the Support-Engineer:

"As I send in the last email, the issue that you reported is planned to be solved in the next Windows 2016 version that is planned to be release in the middle of the year"

So all we can do is wait until they release the next version of SRV 2016, which would be Server 2016 R2 I guess.

On 29.3.2018 at 9:13 AM, Matteo Plazzer said:

Do you know if the workaround works also on Windows2016?

I'm afraid not. Heard rumors that there will be a new Windows 2016 build before summer that includes the Windows 10 fikses. Until then I'm afraid we only can wait. To bad since all our RDS environments are hosted on Windows server 2016. And they all need this fix badly.

11 hours ago, Joar Guttormsen1709158609 said:

I'm afraid not. Heard rumors that there will be a new Windows 2016 build before summer that includes the Windows 10 fikses. Until then I'm afraid we only can wait. To bad since all our RDS environments are hosted on Windows server 2016. And they all need this fix badly.

U can use standard server policy to remove the shutdown option in server 2016, I am a little confused about what you are trying to achieve? In our TS environment we have auto logoff policies set. Attached screenshots.

TSStartMenu.PNG

TSStartMenu1.PNG