Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.8 Installation Fails with SQLExpress Database Creation

Elsa Pratt

Question

I am installing XenApp 7.8, including the SQLExpress 2012 option rather than using an existing SQL server.

I've successfully installed the Delivery Controller including the SQLExpress installation. I used the default values throughout and there were no errors. The software is installed on a clean 2012 R2 Standard member server in a domain. I was logged in as domain admin during the installation.

The next stage is to configure the Delivery Controller. I ran Citrix Studio, again as domain admin, and selected the "Deliver applications and desktops to your users" option. I choose the "An empty, unconfigured site" option when prompted to create a site, give the site a name, and click Next. At the Databases screen it suggests names for all three of the databases. I select "Create and set up databases from Studio", leave the suggested database names in place, leave teh Location as localhost\sqlexpress and click Next.

My understanding is that the wizard should now prompt me to create the databases as they don't already exist on the SQLExpress instance. However, it starts the "Validating database details" process then I get this error, and no prompt to create the databases:

"The validation of database NOFLogging on server instance localhost\sqlexpress failed. The associated sql error was "Connection timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to the server was [Pre-login] initialization = 3, handshake = 12596. Fix the SQL error then continue."

There are associated Windows event ID's 18456 in the logs for the Site, Logging and Monitoring databases:

"Login failed for user mydomain\myuser. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'NOFSite'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]"

I installed SQL Management Studio and verified that I can access the SQL instance using the mydomain\myuser account. This is the domain admin account so it should have all the required rights.

How can I resolve this problem? I'm no doubt doing something wrong but I can't see where in the installation instructions I've gone wrong.

Can anyone help?

9 answers to this question

I have encountered the exact same issue when attempting to set up a trial of XenDesktop 7.8.  I get to the screen where it is to create the databases and get the following error message:

The validation of database "CitrixEvalSiteSite' on server instance "Localhost‘-.sqlexpress' failed.
The associated .SQL error was: 'Connection Timeout Expired.
The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization =4958: handshake=4113;
Fix the .SQL error and then continue.

This is on a clean W2K12 R2 server installation as per the document xendesktop-reviewers-guide.pdf

I m at a loss to know where to start to troubleshoot this.  I expected the install to handle setting this Db up itself.

Any suggestions anyone?

Paul

Edit:

I read this post again, this probably has nothing to do with the issue above....:)~

Patrick~

After deploying an image made about 6 Months ago and Windows updating it I decided to give XenAppp 7.14 a try on this Server 2012R2 image, however the SQLExpress Server Fails each time when deploying. I know the image has worked prior with some versions of SQL. 

To further this, I have had an issue with SQL installers a lot lately. Even on a new build using SQL Server 2008/2012 etc, However I do not see it with SQL Server 2016. 

You can rerun the Setup differently to see the error by extracting the setup command from the Log file, I will go into this further down, however to keep this simple. When I rerun it I get the infamous error:

"There was an error generating the XML document" Error Code: 0x84B10001

You will read all over the web , its related to .Net or something else, however Here's my fix. Not saying its the best solution, however it works and is the only solution that has continued to work for me every time. I spent many hours / days figuring this out, so I hope it works for you. 

Apply the following Registry Key, Reboot, Restart the setup Process. 

########################################################################################################################################################

** Add registry entry for "Protection Policy" Due to MS14-066: Vulnerability in SChannel could allow remote code execution: November 11, 2014

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Protect\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb

Setting:ProtectionPolicy

Type:DWORD

Value:1

########################################################################################################################################################

Here is what the Setup is calling: 

D:\Support\SQLExpress\Setup.exe /INSTANCEID=SqlExpress /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /ACTION=INSTALL /FEATURES=SQL /HIDECONSOLE /INDICATEPROGRESS /ERRORREPORTING=False /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /ENABLERANU=True /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT Authority\Network Service" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /TCPENABLED=1 /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS=True /Q

you can remove the /HIDECONSOLE and the /q switches and run the setup. 

D:\Support\SQLExpress\Setup.exe /INSTANCEID=SqlExpress /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /ACTION=INSTALL /FEATURES=SQL /INDICATEPROGRESS /ERRORREPORTING=False /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /ENABLERANU=True /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT Authority\Network Service" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /TCPENABLED=1 /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS=True

Hello.

I also had the same problem.

However, I fixed the host name and solved it.

Perhaps it seems that the restriction on the byte number in the NetBIOS name is related.

I tried with the following number of bytes

Before:19bytes (>15bytes)

After:12bytes (<15bytes)

tried environment information

XenApp: 7.17

SQL Server: SQL Server 2014 Express

Archived