It takes way too long to show icons in Start Menu - Receiver 4.3

Started by Jozef Jonas , 24 September 2015 - 12:48 PM
29 replies to this topic

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hi,

we are experiencing issue with the Receiver 4.3. We are about to migrate from Receiver 3.2 to the latest 4.3 and during our testing has popped-out an issue with icons in Start Menu. Once user logs in, it takes minutes to start populating icons in Start Menu. Also the whole process of creating the icons in Start Menu is very slow. For example I have access to 20 apps published and the icons are being created one by one with some second/seconds delay. We understand, that new Receiver is creating EXE files in AppData\Roaming\Citrix\SelfService, but even creating the folder Citrix within AppData\Romaing takes very long time. We thought that it could be cause by Web Interface (5.4) and that we are setting STORE0 pointing to config.xml, but then we tried to install StoreFront 3.0 and it's the same. We tried to implement additional two registry keys described in this article CTX200337 but it didn't help.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Joe

Sebastian Trumstedt Members

Sebastian Trumstedt
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

I would recommend looking into the virus protection on your clients. I know Trend Micro had a similar problem.

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hi Sebastian,

I already uninstalled Symantec AV and it seems to be faster now. Thanks

Joe

Jason Borden Members

Jason Borden
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

Does dumping a shortcut to SelfService.exe in the all users startup folder with the poll parameter have any affect?

64-Bit:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\SelfServicePlugin\SelfService.exe" -poll

32-Bit

"C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\SelfServicePlugin\SelfService.exe" -poll

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

Testing today, on the same desktop, without AV and icons are creating relatively fast, but it takes very long time to start the action. I think it can be slightly improved by "SelfService.exe -poll". Why this isn't done by the receiver automatically? I noted, that there is 2 minutes delay by default, but this should be fixed by reg. keys mentioned in CTX200337...

Daniel Renz Members

Daniel Renz
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:42 AM

removed, added by mistake

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:52 AM

Hi,

we tried new version 4.3.100 where the specific issue should be resolved, but the experience is even worse. No only, that the icons won't show up until we execute SelfService -poll, but after this, we are getting now one or more errors saying "Your apps are not available at this time..." and as a bonus, picture of some icons are missing, mostly of streamed apps. I logged case to Citrix Support...

Joe

Chris Greathead Members

Chris Greathead
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

Joe - are you using Web interface or storefront?

In general I'm struggling with Receiver (trying to move from 12.3.0.8 version of OnlinePlugin).

tried 4.2 -with HF1 Update 1 - had same issue as OP where icons to start menu / Desktop would pop up one at a time - shockingly slow.

Wit 4.3 I don't get this, however I do get the same as you where some icons aren't visible and others don't launch.

I also can't get SSON to work (tried everything) and also session sharing seems to be messed up where it kicks my session out if I launch an application..

We use the Receiver within a published desktop and use it to generate published app icons..

Josué Mouco Members

Josué Mouco
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

we are getting now one or more errors saying "Your apps are not available at this time..." and as a bonus, picture of some icons are missing, mostly of streamed apps. I logged case to Citrix Support...

Hi Joe,

I have exactly the same issue. Did you get some news from the Citrix Support ? Where can I follow the post please?

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

Hi Josue,

I opened ticket, and received some private hotfix for SelfService addin, but it didn't fix the issue at all. I'll keep you informed.

Joe

Andrew Sommerer Members

Andrew Sommerer
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

Working on testing this in my environment and also noticing a long delay. If you hear anything good please pass it along :-)

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:25 AM

Hi,

Citrix support is able to replicate the issue, so at least something. They sent enquiry to Receiver experts to figure out what is the root cause. I'll keep you informed as soon as we get info from Citrix.

Joe

Josué Mouco Members

Josué Mouco
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:28 AM

Hi,

That's a great news!

Andrew Sommerer Members

Andrew Sommerer
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Just curious if there has been any update on this.

Steve Ludlow Members

Steve Ludlow
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

I am glad I am not alone, with 4.3.100.10 I have two issues left.

1.  Still not happy with the time it takes to enumerate applications and deliver shortcuts. But can range from 10 seconds to 1 minute.

2. Applications randomly seem to can't find the correct icon, and just revert to the new receiver logo.

Watching this with interest.

Jonathan Jessen Citrix Employees

Jonathan Jessen
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX202469

http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/receiver/windows/4-3/receiver-windows-43-about/receiver-windows-4-3-known-issues.html?_ga=1.157708090.160490238.1406150613

Edited by Jonathan Jessen, 10 November 2015 - 06:44 PM.

Jonathan Jessen
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Duplicate post

Jonathan Jessen
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

Double post

Josué Mouco Members

Josué Mouco
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your post! But actually, the following problem raised by Jozef Jonas:

"we are getting now one or more errors saying "Your apps are not available at this time..." and as a bonus, picture of some icons are missing, mostly of streamed apps. I logged case to Citrix Support..."

that I've faced too, is not a known issue.

Jozef Jonas Members

Jozef Jonas
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

Guys,

sorry for delayed reply. Issue is still not resolved. On Monday, I sent new collection of Receiver logs to Citrix Support and still waiting for their feedback. However they provided me with some registry keys meanwhile, which I tested with some positive results. I tested the registry keys with both versions of Receiver, 4.3 and 4.3.100 and they have positive affect on 4.3.100 only, at least in my case. However the issue with 3 exactly same error messages for user still occurs. The only thing that has improved is the time of loading icons in Start Menu. Also icons for some apps are missing.

The registry keys are:

MaxSimultaneousFetches <dword> under HKLM\Software\Citrix\Dazzle

value 6

MaxSimultaneousSubscribes <dword> under HKLM\Software\Citrix\Dazzle

value 6

So these reg keys in combination with other two reg keys InitialRefreshMinMs = 1 and InitialRefreshMaxMs = 1, making loading icons into Start menu instant after user logon. Works with 4.3.100, doesn't with 4.3.

Now to fix the error messages and icon disappearing for some published apps... :)

Joe