Xenserver 6.2 Passtrough from USB to Windows 7 VM

Started by IT Dpt , 14 May 2014 - 03:27 PM
12 replies to this topic

IT Dpt Members

IT Dpt
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

I have an issue with my xenserver. I have one dongle USB (software protect security)  which it is need for working the software. The software is called Biostar (Access Control Software). It is made by Suprema (A Taiwan company). The company doesn't answer my questions.

I have experienced with Aladdin or Wibubox (Aladdin and Wibubox are the manufactures of the dongles USB) to Flex_LM server. It is used for locking software as Autodesk 3D Studio, Pro/Engineer, Orcad, ... 

In this case, the supplier is Megalock. I haven't found documentation about it.

I would like to configure my xenserver to make passthrough from this dongle USB to my Windows 7 VM.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you in advance.

James Cannon Citrix Employees

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi Jorge,

The only USB "passthrough" is for USB storage only. You would need to investigate other product, unfortunately. 

IT Dpt Members

IT Dpt
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

I send you the below text extracted from the Configuration Guide of Flex Server. It is a software supplier for locked software with/without dongle USBs.

From Page (you can see a full copy: www.globes.com/support/utilities/fnp_LicAdmin_11_12_1.pdf) 191:

"The process of setting up a license server on a virtual machine hosted by a VMware ESXi or XenServer hypervisor
depends on the hostid chosen to bind the license file to the license server. This hostid can be either the virtual
machine’s UUID (Universally Unique ID) or the hostid of a remote physical machine that communicates with the
virtual machine"

From Page 127:

"Bare-metal binding for Amazon EC2, VMware, Hyper-V, or Xen platform.
Prefixes hostid with LMB_. (lmbind is installed either directly on the hypervisor or on a
remote physical machine that communicates with the virtual machine.)"

From Page 51 (at the end of the table):

"Bare-metal binding for specific virtual platforms (lmbind installed directly on the VMware ESX or Hyper-V hypervisor)"

I will test the next steps but I believe that you can make passthrough:

Forwarding USB in XenServer 6.2 (USB Passthrough) (From http://kopacb.blogspot.com/2013/10/usb-xenserver-62-usb-passthrough.html - automatic translate from Google; original in Russian)

USB forwarding of XenServer 6.2 virtual machine

In XenServer 6.2 traverse USB port to a virtual machine can not. You can traverse the entire controller USB, and with it in "Dev" and get all the ports associated with this controller. The same principle can traverse almost any device from the host system. Typically, the server 2 USB controllers. Check that the host system using the command:

[Root @ xen ~] # lspci | grep USB
00:1 a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller # 2 (rev 05)
00:1 d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller # 1 (rev 05)

We are interested in identifiers Controller  00:1 a.0  and  00:1 d.0  is their we will use in the future. Certainly, to guess what the controller device is connected it will be difficult. To do this, a team of  lsusb  from the package  usbutils , but XenServer this package is not installed. You can try to use  dmesg . Or data from the file  / proc / bus / usb / Devices :

cat / proc / bus / usb / devices

For example information about Transcend flash drive in this file looks like this:
T: Bus = 02 Lev = 02 Prnt = 02 Port = 01 Cnt = 01 Dev # = 11 Spd = 480 MxCh = 0
D: Ver = 2.00 Cls = 00 (> ifc) Sub = 00 Prot = 00 MxPS = 64 # Cfgs = 1
P: Vendor = 8564 ProdID = 1000 Rev = 11.00
S: Manufacturer = JetFlash
S: Product = Mass Storage Device
S: SerialNumber = 643SX46T1R2IPSGQ
C: * # Ifs = 1 Cfg # = 1 Atr = 80 MxPwr = 500mA
I: * If # = 0 Alt = 0 # EPs = 2 Cls = 08 (stor.) Sub = 06 Prot = 50 Driver = usb-storage
E: Ad = 81 (I) Atr = 02 (Bulk) MxPS = 512 Ivl = 0ms
E: Ad = 02 (O) Atr = 02 (Bulk) MxPS = 512 Ivl = 31875us

It is seen that used  Bus = 02 means the controller will  00:1 d.0
This is reflected in the description of the controller:

T: Bus = 02 Lev = 00 Prnt = 00 Port = 00 Cnt = 00 Dev # = 1 Spd = 480 MxCh = 2
B: Alloc = 0/800 us (0%), # Int = 1, # Iso = 0
D: Ver = 2.00 Cls = 09 (hub) Sub = 00 Prot = 00 MxPS = 64 # Cfgs = 1
P: Vendor = 1d6b ProdID = 0002 Rev = 2.06
S: Manufacturer = Linux 2.6.32.43-0.4.1.xs1.8.0.835.170778xen ehci_hcd
S: Product = EHCI Host Controller
S: SerialNumber = 0000:00:1 d.0 <------------------------------------ <- ----------------------- <---------
C: * # Ifs = 1 Cfg # = 1 Atr = e0 MxPwr = 0mA
I: * If # = 0 Alt = 0 # EPs = 1 Cls = 09 (hub) Sub = 00 Prot = 00 Driver = hub
E: Ad = 81 (I) Atr = 03 (Int.) MxPS = 4 Ivl = 256ms

Next, you need to know the VM UUID, which will be icing. example as follows:

[Root @ xen ~] # xe vm-list name-label = test
uuid (RO): cd9c4655-dc8a-c086-103c-c1716293449d
     name-label (RW): test
    power-state (RO): running

Knowing the identity of the controller in the XenServer console to perform the command:

[Root @ xen ~] # xe vm-param-set other-config: pci = 0/000: 00:1 d.0 uuid = cd9c4655-dc8a-c086-103c-c1716293449d

Where  0/000:  - a mandatory part, followed by the ID of the controller. 
Check the settings, use the command:

xe vm-param-list uuid = cd9c4655-dc8a-c086-103c-c1716293449d | grep other-config

Must be present:  PCI: 0/000: 00:1 d.0

After restarting the VM, in Task Manager, if installed Windows, appears HOST USB controller with the connected device. To disable the forwarding of the controller in the XenServer console must perform command:

xe vm-param-remove param-name = other-config param-key = pci uuid = cd9c4655-dc8a-c086-103c-c1716293449ds

Thank you in advance.

Kristian Eklund Members

Kristian Eklund
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hello,

You need a USB Device Server. I have used this with success on 6.0.2:

http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/usb-device-servers/sx-3000gb.html

That setup will also work for XenMotion.

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hi Jorge,

I am real sorry that hardware vendor listed XenServer for USB pass-through for dongle to read license, as it is wrong. We have only supported storage devices via USB and nothing more.

Ideally, you would have the USB device connected to network device so that it is accessible that way from virtual or physical machine.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,718 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:54 AM

For a WIndows server running under XenServer and requiring other devices aside from storage to be able to leverage USB connectivity, this is a highly desired option that I really hope will be incorporated into a future XenServer release. We have a number of cases where lab equipment (e.g., cameras, signing pads, etc.) could and should be able to run much more effectively using multiple logins onto a Windows server. With a GPU, this would be the ideal lab setup and scale way better than having to set up individual XenDesktop instances. Please, Citrix, consider adding support for this.

-=Tobias

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi Tobias,

If you can post to feature request forum, that would be great.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,718 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

@James: OK, the request has been posted! Thanks for the suggestion!

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

@Tobias: Awesome. I gave thumbs up. Lets hope we see more. I see this as a critical need for small to medium business, where there is a higher chance of using XenServer in non-pooled environment.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,718 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

In any environment, pooled or otherwise. this would be extremely valuable, as we have already found out through our own needs and investigations.

Many thanks for the suggestion to post to the request forum area. I am unclear what the Citrix employee audience is that reads those requests, but if the word isn't spread, it does no good to promote a need.  Again, thanks for your suggestion and support, James! :)

-=Tobias

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi Tobias,

I  believe that the XenServer project management team does review and/or participate.

Roberto Rustici Members

Roberto Rustici
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

I use usbredirector for linux installed on xenserver 6.2 http://www.incentivespro.com/usb-server.html (free) and for windows client you need the client version for windows (paid).

The share is over the lan

I share 2 umts datacard from xenserver, 1 to asterisk for sms and mobile calls and 1 to win2003 server for sms. Both VM are running on Xenserver, but you can use usb devices wherever you want over your lan.

Ayoola Ekunboyejo Members

Ayoola Ekunboyejo
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

In any environment, pooled or otherwise. this would be extremely valuable, as we have already found out through our own needs and investigations.

Many thanks for the suggestion to post to the request forum area. I am unclear what the Citrix employee audience is that reads those requests, but if the word isn't spread, it does no good to promote a need.  Again, thanks for your suggestion and support, James! :)

-=Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I know this thread is old, please do you know if this has been implemented now? It is almost three years already.

Thanks,

Boyejo Ayo