Ubuntu 14.04 - Unable to find partition containing kernel - XenServer 6.2

Started by IT Dpt , 22 April 2014 - 10:03 AM
13 replies to this topic

IT Dpt Members

IT Dpt
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hello everyone.

We are testing the new ubuntu server version on our XenServer 6.2, full updated, and the machine doesnt boot with the next error: 

"The bootloader for this VM returned an error -- did the VM installation suceed? Unable to find partition containing kernel "

And in the logs of the server there isnt more usefull information.

Does anyone knows how to solve this? Or may we have to wait for the template for the new Ubuntu server version?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards!

James Cannon Citrix Employees

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

The Ubuntu version is not supported. That is why there is no template for that version. I am not sure if you read the Release Notes for the new Ubuntu, but it defaults to the butter file system. This is not supported as a recognized file system for pygrub. You may want to ensure that during Ubuntu install that you use EXT3. 

Jasper Wonnink Members

Jasper Wonnink
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

There is a work-around for this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216358

It basicly means to use grub instead of grub2. And create a new template so you can use the URL installation.

Dave Strydom Members

Dave Strydom
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

There is a work-around for this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216358

It basicly means to use grub instead of grub2. And create a new template so you can use the URL installation.

You don't need to install grub instead of grub2.

This http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216358&p=13006428#post13006428 is an easier solution and actually solves the problem.

Jasper Wonnink Members

Jasper Wonnink
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

You don't need to install grub instead of grub2.

This http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216358&p=13006428#post13006428 is an easier solution and actually solves the problem.

Excellent! Unfortunately i was not able to figure out the problem and was stuck with the workaround. Luckily someone else was able!

Would be nice to get a update for XenServer that fixes this completely.

Dave Strydom Members

Dave Strydom
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Excellent! Unfortunately i was not able to figure out the problem and was stuck with the workaround. Luckily someone else was able!

Would be nice to get a update for XenServer that fixes this completely.

Looks like it was fixed months ago on Xen 4.3:

https://github.com/xenserver/xen-4.3/commit/2196372e76456ce859230950a6e484343e990423

I'm not sure why it hasn't been committed into XenServer 6.2

James Cannon Citrix Employees

James Cannon
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

If it is upstream, it is likely to be implemented in future version. It would be like comparing Fedora to RHEL. Please bear that in mind.

Xavier Majoral Clols Members

Xavier Majoral Clols
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Thanks a lot Dave, you have saved my life :)

As I have a farm with 5 XenSevers I guess I have to do the trick on all of them in order to make the ubuntu 14.04 vm runs everywhere.

And James, it would be urgent that Citrix staff make a patch to solve the issue. I think Ubuntu is not a minor OS and fixing issues like this would improve Citrix image and would make costumers happy.

Regards.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,283 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

Xavier,

Note that Ubuntu 14.04 is supported now under XS 6.5.

-=Tobias

Xavier Majoral Clols
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Wow! That's a good notice Tobias,thanks.

But do you think it's wise to put it a production environment? I mean because it's only one week old release.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,283 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

I personally have no qualms about it. Having tested various alpha, beta and release candidate versions, it really is a rock solid release. Of course, not everyone can just suddenly switch at a moment's notice. You'd do well to at least bring it up on a test server and run it a while to see how things go before committing to a update on your production servers. Above all, it's important to make sure your hardware is compatible.

-=Tobias

Terry Wang Citrix Employees

Terry Wang
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

Although Ubuntu 14.04 running PVHVM mode is NOT officially supported in XenServer 6.2, it works perfect fine in real life (I've been running Ubuntu in PVHVM mode in production for over a year, no problem at all, AWS runs Ubuntu in PVHVM mode, too). Plus you can freely do point release upgrade and release upgrade without problems.

You will hit problems when running unsupported versions of Ubuntu in PV mode, especially after an upgrade (kernel). PV is no longer the best mode to run Linux VMs, plus XenServer 6.5 officially support PVHVM, so go for it ;-D

Xavier Majoral Clols
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Terry for your information,

but, I'm affraid I don't know the difference between PV and PVHVM modes, and how to choose one of them. In fact, I have problems after upgrading kernel in Ubuntu 14.04, so now I know that's why it is in PV mode. How to change this?

Excuse my lack of knowledge ;) 

Xavier Majoral Clols
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hi again,

now I have read about PVHVM and I know that is suported in Linux 2.6.36 a later

The question is: can I make an existing PV machine runs in PVHVM just compiling a supported kernel version?

I guess I will have to set some VM paramters. Which ones?

Thanks for your  help.