22 replies to this topic

slewand988 Members

Szczepan Lewandowski
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

my environment looks as follows:

XD 7.5 (upgraded from 7.1) on Windows 2012

Fresh installation of Windows 2008R2 SP1 for Windows server OS deployment with current VDA version.

All servers hosted on VMware ESXi, 5.5.0, 1623387

I tried to create Machine catalog with MCS but it failed with error:

Error Id: XDDS:07E48AB2

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException An error occurred while preparing the image.
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
       at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : UnknownError
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    ErrorID : FailedToCreateImagePreparationVm
    TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
    InternalErrorMessage : Unable to upload disk Unable to upload disk

Can someone advise what is wrong with this?

BR

Szczepan

Paul Browne Citrix Employees

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi

Can you capture the CDF for this use case. As the error says. XenDesktop failed to upload one of its disk to VMWare but does give the exact error.

To capture CDF you can either use scout (installed as part of XenDesktop/App) or you can use tool at

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111961

As this contains full information about your deployment (but not passwords) I would recommend that you start a private message with me to give me the file, but I will post what I find to the this forum. 

Regards

Paul

Jaakko Tapio Members

Jaakko Tapio
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

I'm also interested to hear the solution. I have same issue

Jaakko Tapio

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hi, This case was caused by a slow upload of disks that passed one of our internal timeouts so causing the catalog process to fail.

IF you are running on VMWare and it is the same issue you can fix the issue by

--

https://citrix.share...c59ec4783f49ee9

This contains a screen shot of how to set the string that I am about to give,

Select your VMware connection and then In the box in "step 5 of the picture" type (exactly i.e. with the spelling mistake) 

DiskUploadReponseTimeout=0:20:0

Then click ok, and repeat the operation

----

If you are not running on VMware or this does not fix it, please capture CDF (instructions above) and start a new personal message with me.

Thanks

Paul

David de Gendt Members

David de Gendt
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hi Paul,

We are having the exact same issue. In the eventvwr I see error 2002:

Image preparation for Provisioning Scheme Branch PC was aborted after not completing in 20 minutes
running VMware

Exception:
Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Preparation of the Master VM Image failed. Make sure the selected image has a supported OS (for example, Windows 7) and the correct version of the VDA (7.0 or later) installed.
at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()

ErrorID : ImagePreparationFinalizationFailedCompletely
InternalErrorMessage : No Image Preparation results found, suggesting no suitable VDA or other serious failure in the Master VM. Image preparation failed

Thanks

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi

This is a different issue, if there is an VM created called "preparation-<catalog name>" or something like this. this means the timeout detailed above is not the issue.

What it means is that the VM has not finished doing the preparation stage, this can happen for a number of reason,

The main reason for this is that VDA 7.0 has not been installed on that VM.  Hence the error message that you are seeing.

However if you have installed the VDA this implies that something else is going wrong, you can logging from the ImagePrep machine by, Please make sure that you do step 7 at the end.

1) on the machine that is about to use to create a catalog set the following Reg key

HKLM\Software\Citrix\MachineIdentityServiceAgent\LOGGING

2) Shutdown the machine and snapshot that VM.

3) on the DDC start powershell with the citrix powershell snap-ins loaded and run

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_NoAutoShutdown -Value $True

4) Create a new catalog based on the snapshot you just created above

5) When you see the preparation VM created, wait for a minute or two. then log-into that VM

6) On the Root of C drive on that VM you should find the files "image-prep.log" and "PvsVmAgentLog.txt" can you send them to me please

7) (IMPORTANT) run from powershell otherwise ever catalog you create will fail after this

Remove-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_NoAutoShutdown

Paul

Matthew Gailer Members

Matthew Gailer
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hi Paul,

I know it's been a month since the last post on this, but I'm hoping you might still have notifications for it, and be willing to reply. We've got the FailedToCreateImagePreparationVm in the environment we are currently setting up as per the original post.  We've tried the "DiskUploadReponseTimeout=0:20:0" option addition which had no impact.  Because I was seeing a "Preparation-Catalog_Name" VM pop up, I also tried the above post.  Unfortunately, that VM lasts for all of about 10 seconds before it is deleted, and the MCS process shows the error.  We tried this with a full vCenter Administrator and one with just the rights needed as per eDocs.

One thing though is that we are currently running on ESX 4.1 while we wait for another project to complete the new VMware environment.  We know because of this that we can't log a support call cause it's unsupported.  It also makes us think does this possibly happen because we are on 4.1, or is it an actually XenApp/MCS issue, rights, firewall etc etc.?  Are you able to possibly shed some insight into whether 4.1 is likely to be part of the issue?

Thanks

Matt

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hi Matthew

I dont think that 4.1 will be the issue here, but if you can capture some CDF and send them to me is a private message I will able to look though them and should be able to give you an answer

Regards

Paul

Leon Ys Members

Leon Ys
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

I also face this problem . I really hope there is a solution for this ... Have been trying for weeks . Following tutorial but to no avail still unable to create the catalog . Citrix community please help

Tassilo Bergander Members

Tassilo Bergander
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi @all,

are there any updates or a solution found?

I have still the same error.

Regards

Tassilo

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi Tassilo

There are two issues listed in this forum post,

One where the error is failed to create the image preparation VM see by the error (this is one that Timeout would hopefully fix, but should noted that this will ONLY affect issues on VMWare if you are seeing the error on a different type of hypervisor (Xen, SCVMM) this will not help

InternalErrorMessage : Unable to upload disk Unable to upload disk

And the other issue is where it gets past this stage and reports that there is not a VDA installed on the VM

Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException Preparation of the Master VM Image failed. Make sure the selected image has a supported OS (for example, Windows 7) and the correct version of the VDA (7.0 or later) installed.

The second can be for a number of reasons, one of the most common is Bitlocker 2 Go on vmware

While issue are you seeing? 

Regards

Paul

Tassilo Bergander Members

Tassilo Bergander
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hi Paul,

many thanks for your quick answer. I don't read the first post (issue) description carefully.

So I get the same Error Id: XDDS:07E48AB2 with significant differences.

Exception:

Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException The specified master VM snapshot could not be found.

ErrorID : VirtualMachineSnapshotNotFound

InternalErrorMessage : No disk controller found

DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'Test_MCS'

6/25/2014 12:06:34 PM

My solution was to install this hotfix. http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140736

Regards

Tassilo

Juan Perez Members

Juan Perez
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

Building a lab with Hyper-v and so far I cant say it has been a great experience but I am almost done and just when I thought I was all clear I recieved the following error creating a server OS based machine using MCS. It can create the snapshot because i see one created but thats about all i see get done.

Exception:
    Citrix.Console.Models.Exceptions.ScriptException An error occurred while preparing the image.

InternalErrorMessage : No hosts available. No hosts available.
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog '2012 R2'
    7/10/2014 7:13:55 PM

Get-ConfigServiceStatus  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80'
    Get-LogSite  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80'
    Start-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -Source 'Studio' -StartTime 7/11/2014 2:09:22 AM -Text 'Create Machine Catalog `'2012 R2`''
    New-BrokerCatalog  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -AllocationType 'Random' -IsRemotePC $False -LoggingId 5c1cb963-4abf-4179-9d8f-6db01c01459e -MinimumFunctionalLevel 'L7' -Name '2012 R2' -PersistUserChanges 'Discard' -ProvisioningType 'MCS' -Scope @() -SessionSupport 'MultiSession'
    New-AcctIdentityPool  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -AllowUnicode -Domain 'agile360lab.local' -IdentityPoolName '2012 R2' -LoggingId 5c1cb963-4abf-4179-9d8f-6db01c01459e -NamingScheme 'APWL-##' -NamingSchemeType 'Numeric' -OU 'OU=Citrix,OU=Servers,DC=agile360lab,DC=local' -Scope @()
    Set-BrokerCatalogMetadata  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -CatalogId 2 -LoggingId 5c1cb963-4abf-4179-9d8f-6db01c01459e -Name 'Citrix_DesktopStudio_IdentityPoolUid' -Value 'ba41de9b-4454-4a6e-b4dd-476233d9a766'
    New-HypVMSnapshot  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -LiteralPath 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\HV01 Resources\Template 2012.vm' -LoggingId 5c1cb963-4abf-4179-9d8f-6db01c01459e -SnapshotName 'Citrix_XD_2012 R2'
    Test-ProvSchemeNameAvailable  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -ProvisioningSchemeName @('2012 R2')
    New-ProvScheme  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -CleanOnBoot -HostingUnitName 'HV01 Resources' -IdentityPoolName '2012 R2' -LoggingId 5c1cb963-4abf-4179-9d8f-6db01c01459e -MasterImageVM 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\HV01 Resources\Template 2012.vm\Citrix_XD_2012 R2.snapshot\Citrix_XD_2012 R2.snapshot' -NetworkMapping @{'D63F2332-88A0-4DD3-8067-C2E802883A96'='XDHyp:\HostingUnits\HV01 Resources\\External Switch.network'} -ProvisioningSchemeName '2012 R2' -RunAsynchronously -Scope @() -VMCpuCount 1 -VMMemoryMB 512
    Stop-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress 'scvmm01.agile360lab.local:80' -EndTime 7/11/2014 2:13:55 AM -HighLevelOperationId '5c1cb963-4abf-4179-9d8f-6db01c01459e' -IsSuccessful $False

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hi this is a different problem to the other listed in this Post,

However the No Host Founds happens for two reasons.

• You are out of resources (mainly memory) to start the Vm
  • BUT the normal reason, the SCVMM agent is reporting there is issues with hyperv server.

Given that the 99% reason we see is the SCVMM agent reporting that there is issues. The best way to workout the issue and fix it is, in the SCVMM console select each of the hosts and click properties.

Select the Health tab, there is a list of health checks and which ones have issues and (hopefully) the way to fix it. Note that again normally this is the SCVMM agent on the HyperV server is not a 100% match of the version SCVMM server, this can happen due to windows update.

Paul

Sebin Koshy Members

Sebin Koshy
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Dear all,

We are also  getting  the same error.

Setup XenDesktop 7.5

XenServer 6.2

Exception:

InternalErrorMessage : Unable to connect to the remote server Unable to connect to the remote server A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.19.52.30:80
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'Win7 VDI Personal -2GB'
    7/20/2014 11:38:38 AM

Get-ConfigServiceStatus  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80'
    Get-LogSite  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80'
    Start-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -Source 'Studio' -StartTime 7/20/2014 8:38:38 AM -Text 'Create Machine Catalog `'Win7 VDI Personal -2GB`''
    New-BrokerCatalog  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -AllocationType 'Permanent' -IsRemotePC $False -LoggingId ba340525-b26a-493b-9575-0b83f6f4b739 -MinimumFunctionalLevel 'L7' -Name 'Win7 VDI Personal -2GB' -PersistUserChanges 'OnPvd' -ProvisioningType 'MCS' -Scope @() -SessionSupport 'SingleSession'
    New-AcctIdentityPool  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -AllowUnicode -Domain 'ictlab.local' -IdentityPoolName 'Win7 VDI Personal -2GB' -LoggingId ba340525-b26a-493b-9575-0b83f6f4b739 -NamingScheme 'VDIPersonal#' -NamingSchemeType 'Numeric' -Scope @()
    Set-BrokerCatalogMetadata  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -CatalogId 10 -LoggingId ba340525-b26a-493b-9575-0b83f6f4b739 -Name 'Citrix_DesktopStudio_IdentityPoolUid' -Value '01bb38cc-ef15-496b-9bfb-09f9cab4ea25'
    New-HypVMSnapshot  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -LiteralPath 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Citrix\Windows 7 (64-bit) MasterImage.vm' -LoggingId ba340525-b26a-493b-9575-0b83f6f4b739 -SnapshotName 'Citrix_XD_Win7 VDI Personal -2GB'
    Test-ProvSchemeNameAvailable  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -ProvisioningSchemeName @('Win7 VDI Personal -2GB')
    New-ProvScheme  -AdminAddress 'citrix-xendesk.ictlab.local:80' -CleanOnBoot -HostingUnitName 'Citrix' -IdentityPoolName 'Win7 VDI Personal -2GB' -LoggingId ba340525-b26a-493b-9575-0b83f6f4b739 -MasterImageVM 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Citrix\Windows 7 (64-bit) MasterImage.vm\Fresh install.snapshot\Join to domain.snapshot\Citrix_XD_Win 7 VDI Pool Randon -2GB.snapshot\Citrix_XD_Win 7 VDI Pool Randon -2GB.snapshot\Citrix_XD_Win7 VDI PErsonal -2GB.snapshot\Citrix_XD_Win7 VDI Personal.snapshot\Citrix_XD_Win7 VDI Personal -2GB.snapshot' -NetworkMapping @{'0'='XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Citrix\Citrix.network'} -PersonalVDiskDriveLetter P -PersonalVDiskDriveSize 10 -ProvisioningSchemeName 'Win7 VDI Personal -2GB' -RunAsynchronously -Scope @() -UsePersonalVDiskStorage -VMCpuCount 1 -VMMemoryMB 2048

Can  any one help me .

Thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• Error 1.PNG
  • error 2.PNG
  • error3.PNG

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

Please note that if you are running, XenDesktop 7.6 the instruction given in this post are NOT required, this was an issue with the default value in XenDesktop and slow(ish) networks. The default value in XenDesktop 7.6 is 8 minutes already.

If you are seeing this issue in 7.6 please start a new Thread as this will not help you.

Thanks

Paul

Detlev Koch Members

Detlev Koch
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

I have this Issue on XenApp 7.6 , see Forumthread: http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/359563-xenapp-76-mcs-failedtocreateimagepreparationvm/

Matthew Ehiwere Members

Matthew Ehiwere
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hi

This is a different issue, if there is an VM created called "preparation-<catalog name>" or something like this. this means the timeout detailed above is not the issue.

What it means is that the VM has not finished doing the preparation stage, this can happen for a number of reason,

The main reason for this is that VDA 7.0 has not been installed on that VM.  Hence the error message that you are seeing.

However if you have installed the VDA this implies that something else is going wrong, you can logging from the ImagePrep machine by, Please make sure that you do step 7 at the end.

1) on the machine that is about to use to create a catalog set the following Reg key

HKLM\Software\Citrix\MachineIdentityServiceAgent\LOGGING

2) Shutdown the machine and snapshot that VM.

3) on the DDC start powershell with the citrix powershell snap-ins loaded and run

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_NoAutoShutdown -Value $True

4) Create a new catalog based on the snapshot you just created above

5) When you see the preparation VM created, wait for a minute or two. then log-into that VM

6) On the Root of C drive on that VM you should find the files "image-prep.log" and "PvsVmAgentLog.txt" can you send them to me please

7) (IMPORTANT) run from powershell otherwise ever catalog you create will fail after this

Remove-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_NoAutoShutdown

Paul

Hello Paul, I have similar error. Following all your 7 steps, when I login the Preparation - XXXX Machine I only saw PvsVmAgentlog.txt and sessionchange.log files in the root of C drive

Marco Zimmermann Members

Marco Zimmermann
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

just updated a 7.5 Site to 7.6 and run in this Error.

FailedToCreateImagePreparationVm

Unable to upload disk Unable to upload disk

Running 7.6 with Rollup 1.

In 7.5 everything worked fine.

Is there a solution for this?

I cant find anything in vcenter log vpxd-xxx.log

Marco

Marco Zimmermann Members

Marco Zimmermann
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

just updated a 7.5 Site to 7.6 and run in this Error.

FailedToCreateImagePreparationVm

Unable to upload disk Unable to upload disk

Running 7.6 with Rollup 1.

In 7.5 everything worked fine.

Is there a solution for this?

I cant find anything in vcenter log vpxd-xxx.log

Marco

Just a few more informations: I didnĀ“t get a vpxd.log because vcenter appliance was out of space.

Now I got a vpxd-xxx.log but i cant see any error in it that could cause the termination.

2015-06-15T11:16:06.035Z [7FF644C4F700 warning 'vpxdvpxdMoHost'] [HostMo::GetLinkedVmInt] Getting linked vm for vmid 85 on host fqdn.domain.com - COULD NOT FIND IT

2015-06-15T11:16:10.032Z [7FF646991700 error 'HTTP server /folder'] Nfc_EstablishAuthdConnectionEx: returned false, errMsg: Connection terminated by server

I manually can clone a server without problems.

MCS copies the vmdk successfully (can see it in datastore). 

Perparation VM is created, configured and then a few seconds later deleted.

So MCS fails when editing the properties of the perparation vm.

I created a new hypervisior conenction in studio with a different lun and network - same problem

i chose another vm (without a vda, just for testing) - same problem

Creating a new Machine catalog - same problem

Any help?