Photo

Can I configure 2 PVS servers on a single DHCP?

Started by Krishna Desai , 21 March 2014 - 08:50 AM
7 replies to this topic

Best Answer Carl Stalhood , 21 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Are these completely separate farms? Or are you just trying to do HA?

If HA:

• Use NetScaler to load balance the TFTP services on the two PvS servers. Configure 66 with the load balanced VIP.
  • Or connect the devices and PvS servers to the same VLAN and get rid of the DHCP options. When the target boots, either of the PvS servers can respond.

If separate farms:

• If you do DHCP reservations, you can specify different 66/67 for each reservation.
  • Another method is to use a boot ISO instead of DHCP options. Then you can control which boot ISO is used by a target device.

Krishna Desai Citrix Employees

Krishna Desai
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hello Team, 

Is it possible to maintain/configure 2 Provisioning servers in one single DHCP? 

We know that server option 66 and 67 is used to configure the PVS in DHCP/PXE server.  

Enabling the option 66 with Boot server host IP  and option 67 with the bootstrap program file. 

My question is, 

Can I add 2 Boot servers ie PVS IPs in server option 66 and 2 bootstrap program files in server option 67? 

Thanks in advance, 

Appreciate your help! 

Best Regards,

Krishna Desai

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,356 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Are these completely separate farms? Or are you just trying to do HA?

If HA:

• Use NetScaler to load balance the TFTP services on the two PvS servers. Configure 66 with the load balanced VIP.
  • Or connect the devices and PvS servers to the same VLAN and get rid of the DHCP options. When the target boots, either of the PvS servers can respond.

If separate farms:

• If you do DHCP reservations, you can specify different 66/67 for each reservation.
  • Another method is to use a boot ISO instead of DHCP options. Then you can control which boot ISO is used by a target device.

Best Answer Helpful Answer

Krishna Desai
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hi Carl, 

Actually I was trying to create a seperate farm itself.

So if I understand it correctly, I can add 2 boot server IPs in DHCP 66/67 like XX.XXX.XX.XX, YY.YYY.YY.YY.

Is that right?

Thanks,

Krishna 

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,356 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

No, you can only enter one address.

Create a DHCP reservation for the device. Then edit the DHCP options for the reservation and specify whatever 66 address you want that particular device to use. A device can only connect to one farm at a time.

Krishna Desai
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Oh ok. Then Please let me know if this scenario is valid or not.

I have 2 PVS servers configured for farm 1 and farm 2. I have 2 target devices. Device 1 wants to connect to farm 1 and device 2 wants to connect to farm 2 simultaneously.

The above requires both PVS servers to be running right? Then both should be configured in DHCP.

I thought when the target device boots up, we get the option in console to choose which PVS machine we want to connect to.

Is it valid or invalid?   

Thank you! 

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,356 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Console, yes, Target, no. The Target Devices logs into PvS during boot. It can get the PvS IP from DHCP options, from response to a broadcast, or from a PvS boot ISO.

I normally use a separate DHCP server rather than using the one installed on PvS. With separate DHCP (especially Microsoft), it's easy to create DHCP reservations and specify different DHCP options for each reservation.

Otherwise, probably the best option for you is to use the Boot Device Manager to create a separate boot ISO for each farm. Then configure each target device to boot from a different Boot ISO.

Helpful Answer

David Birrer Members

David Birrer
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hi Carl

Just to clarify, in order to get this up:

connect the devices and PvS servers to the same VLAN and get rid of the DHCP options

how do i point the targets to the TFTP Server without the option and without PXE?

Cheers David

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,356 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

You can create DHCP reservations and specify options 66/67 for that reservation. Or have different boot ISOs pointing to different PvS IPs.