Sessions connected and in use with no current user

Started by TONY LAMBERT , 23 January 2014 - 05:52 PM
100 replies to this topic

TONY LAMBERT Members

TONY LAMBERT
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hey guys,

In my XenDesktop 7.1  implementation I'm experiencing an extremely high volume of seemingly "empty" sessions that are shown with the Session State connected, Summary State In Use, Connection Type as HDX and no current user. The Current User field is populated with a " - " as are the Brokering Time and Start Time fields. I found this article http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX128715 that describes a fix for XenDesktop 5 but the document does not say the fix applies for XenDesktop 7.x. 

Can anyone provide insight?

TONY LAMBERT Members

TONY LAMBERT
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just to update this topic, the article I cited above did not help. We've also had user reports of virtual desktops "freezing" or failing to log in. We think those reports go with this issue and we've tried enabling Legacy Graphics Mode to help. Thus far no fix...

Keith Ballou Members

Keith Ballou
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Are there any errors in the event logs of either the DDC or VM/VDAs indicating an unexpected termination of the connection?

How are these VMs created; through MCS/PVS or manually? They're all running VDA 7.1?

You may check the "Concurrent Logons tolerance" setting as well. It says it only applies to server OS environments, but in my lab (before I switched to a ServerOS environment) where I had 40+ students logging in simultaneously, this setting appeared to dramatically reduce logon times. I haven't tested this scientifically, purely an anecdotal thing. 

TONY LAMBERT Members

TONY LAMBERT
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hey Keith,

There were no odd messages in the logs of the VM/VDA with the exception that in the Citrix ICA logs the last recorded event was an ICA session opening. I'm still sifting through the DDCs.

These VMs were created using MCS on XenDesktop 7.1 and are running the 7.1 VDA. 

I'm currently checking into the Concurrent Logons tolerance...

Keith Ballou Members

Keith Ballou
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

"sometimes" problems are the worst to troubleshoot.

My only other thought is that there's a GPO or logon script that is taking too long and causing connections to timeout. What does director say about average logon times, and the break-down thereof.

I'll often see the "empty" session as users are logging on, before the connection has been completely established. But I can only generally catch this if I sit there hitting F5 repeatedly;  if it's staying that way for a long time, or permanently....  

What does your user setup generally look like? are they connecting from off-site, or is it all Lan connections?

Sorry I don't have better answers, but I know first hand how infuriating these logon issues can be, so I try to assist whenever I can.

Keith

Lal Mohan Members

Lal Mohan
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

Are there any errors in the event logs of either the DDC or VM/VDAs indicating an unexpected termination of the connection?

How are these VMs created; through MCS/PVS or manually? They're all running VDA 7.1?

You may check the "Concurrent Logons tolerance" setting as well. It says it only applies to server OS environments, but in my lab (before I switched to a ServerOS environment) where I had 40+ students logging in simultaneously, this setting appeared to dramatically reduce logon times. I haven't tested this scientifically, purely an anecdotal thing. 

Keith,

What is your recommendation on the concurrent logon tolerance? I would completely disable this setting.. is it what you did you get a good logon performance?

Lal

Dani Mora Members

Dani Mora
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

Since I installed VDA 7.1 I'm experiencing the same problems:

Xendesktop controlleer reports that a user is logged but it is not true.

Impossible to reconnect to a session o the VDA goes to unregistered state for 4 minutes after a failed attempt to reconnect.

Christopher Schrameyer Members

Christopher Schrameyer
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Has there been any resolution to this?

TONY LAMBERT Members

TONY LAMBERT
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Hi Christopher,

I apologize for not showing our fix. We eventually found that our problem was resolved by updating our thin client firmware. We were using older WYSE clients that needed a firmware update to properly operate with XenDesktop 7.1.

Christopher Schrameyer Members

Christopher Schrameyer
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

Rats. We are not using thin clients. Running windows 7 with receiver 4.1
Anyone else experienced this problem ?

Chris Kokoras Members

Chris Kokoras
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

Similar issue: Xendesktop 7.1 with both 7.1 and 7.5 agents on the Windows 7 Sp1 machines. 'Remote PC Access' to physical machine.

Some not all users get 'Cannot start desktop'.

If I check the sessions tab the 'current user' field is a dash ( - ) for the users who cannot log in despite them being logged into their machines locally. Machine state is 'registered'

If I remote desktop to the Windows 7 machine their username appears in 'current user' then Xendesktop works.

Once I disconnect the same issue happens again.

Matt Sliva Members

Matt Sliva
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

I am experiencing this same problem in a XenDesktop 7.5 environment. The VDI's are MCS created Windows 7 x86 desktops. The delivery group contains statically assigned desktops. The VDI's are statically assigned to client machine hostnames, not users. The end client devices are Dell workstations running Wyse PC Extender.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-07-02_10-40-47.jpg

Dan Schreifels Members

Dan Schreifels
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm also seeing this issue on XenDesktop 7.1.  Citrix is there any workaround for fix for this issue yet ?

malice84 Members

Paul Malice
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Seeing this in XenDesktop 7.1 as well. Get-BrokerDesktop output on DDC is very similar http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX128715

mentioned above.

Fintan Mannix Citrix Employees

Fintan Mannix
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hi All,

Are you still experiencing this issue?  

Regards

Fintan

William Fulmer Members

William Fulmer
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:06 AM

Any more information on this issue? Does this appear to be isolated only to XD 7.1? Is the problem on the broker or on the VDA side?

Allan Smith Members

Allan Smith
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

We're running XenDesktop version 7.6 and are seeing this issue.  Anyone hear from Citrix regarding this issue?

Oliver Metcalfe Members

Oliver Metcalfe
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

We are seeing this as well - rebooting the citrix desktop clears the sessions.

Any word from Citrix?

Thorsten Ellmers Members

Thorsten Ellmers
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

just restarting the Citrix Desktop Service should be enough,

greets

Thorsten

Fintan Mannix Citrix Employees

Fintan Mannix
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Hi All,

I currently have 1 case under investigation but it is with XD 5.6, If I have any update on that I will post here.

Regards

Fintan