Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Sessions connected and in use with no current user

TONY LAMBERT

Question

Hey guys,

In my XenDesktop 7.1  implementation I'm experiencing an extremely high volume of seemingly "empty" sessions that are shown with the Session State connected, Summary State In Use, Connection Type as HDX and no current user. The Current User field is populated with a " - " as are the Brokering Time and Start Time fields. I found this article http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX128715 that describes a fix for XenDesktop 5 but the document does not say the fix applies for XenDesktop 7.x. 

Can anyone provide insight?

• Answers 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are there any errors in the event logs of either the DDC or VM/VDAs indicating an unexpected termination of the connection?

How are these VMs created; through MCS/PVS or manually? They're all running VDA 7.1?

You may check the "Concurrent Logons tolerance" setting as well. It says it only applies to server OS environments, but in my lab (before I switched to a ServerOS environment) where I had 40+ students logging in simultaneously, this setting appeared to dramatically reduce logon times. I haven't tested this scientifically, purely an anecdotal thing. 

Hey Keith,

There were no odd messages in the logs of the VM/VDA with the exception that in the Citrix ICA logs the last recorded event was an ICA session opening. I'm still sifting through the DDCs.

These VMs were created using MCS on XenDesktop 7.1 and are running the 7.1 VDA. 

I'm currently checking into the Concurrent Logons tolerance...

"sometimes" problems are the worst to troubleshoot.

My only other thought is that there's a GPO or logon script that is taking too long and causing connections to timeout. What does director say about average logon times, and the break-down thereof.

I'll often see the "empty" session as users are logging on, before the connection has been completely established. But I can only generally catch this if I sit there hitting F5 repeatedly;  if it's staying that way for a long time, or permanently....  

What does your user setup generally look like? are they connecting from off-site, or is it all Lan connections?

Sorry I don't have better answers, but I know first hand how infuriating these logon issues can be, so I try to assist whenever I can.

Keith

Are there any errors in the event logs of either the DDC or VM/VDAs indicating an unexpected termination of the connection?

How are these VMs created; through MCS/PVS or manually? They're all running VDA 7.1?

You may check the "Concurrent Logons tolerance" setting as well. It says it only applies to server OS environments, but in my lab (before I switched to a ServerOS environment) where I had 40+ students logging in simultaneously, this setting appeared to dramatically reduce logon times. I haven't tested this scientifically, purely an anecdotal thing. 

Keith,

What is your recommendation on the concurrent logon tolerance? I would completely disable this setting.. is it what you did you get a good logon performance?

Lal

Similar issue: Xendesktop 7.1 with both 7.1 and 7.5 agents on the Windows 7 Sp1 machines. 'Remote PC Access' to physical machine.

Some not all users get 'Cannot start desktop'.

If I check the sessions tab the 'current user' field is a dash ( - ) for the users who cannot log in despite them being logged into their machines locally. Machine state is 'registered'

If I remote desktop to the Windows 7 machine their username appears in 'current user' then Xendesktop works.

Once I disconnect the same issue happens again.

I am experiencing this same problem in a XenDesktop 7.5 environment. The VDI's are MCS created Windows 7 x86 desktops. The delivery group contains statically assigned desktops. The VDI's are statically assigned to client machine hostnames, not users. The end client devices are Dell workstations running Wyse PC Extender.

post-12353701-0-30483000-1404312505_thumb.jpg

Hi,

i faced the similar situation with one of the client's trying to launch the desktop and got this error. But this was with only 1 user

My environment is 7.6Xendesktop, with netscaler and MCS machines citrix receiver 4.1

Solution: We went to User's laptop deleted the following entry

HKCU\Software\Citrix\XenDesktop\DesktopViewer\

Delete corresponding registry hive related to the desktop and then reboot the laptop

After that ask user to login and launch desktop. Hope this helps

Hi,

same problem here. XenDesktop 7.6 with "remote pc access". 

I can see this issue on some clients, others in the same delivery group are fine. But we saw this regardless ot the end point (Windows, Android, iOS). The main problem is that you cannot reconnect your console session from another device.

In the next days I will do some further investigation about this issue. 

Did you open a Citrix case about this or is there already a workround in place?

Best Regards,