Updated Privacy Statement

Citrix Studio: Machine Catalogs and Hosting Sections Loading Time

Timothy Cochran

Question

Has anyone experienced that Citrix Studio loads slowly in Machine Catalogs and Hosting since they upgraded to XenDesktop 7.1? Sometime I am sitting here waiting more then a minute waiting for everything to refresh. Its frustrating. I know in DesktopStudio 5.6, it happen once in a blue moon but Citrix Studio is consistent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

post-12484924-0-44764000-1389730680_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Has there been a definitive resolution to this?   We are running an NVIDIA GRID environment connecting to XenServers from our XenDesktop 7.1 site.   Given that each vGPU profile type requires a corresponding Host Connection, we have a lot of Host Connections.   It takes about 5 minutes to refresh the Machine Catalog view.    I had heard that this problem was resolved in XenDesktop 7.6.    We have XD7.6 in our lab and with only 4 Host Connections, the refresh takes 11 seconds, which still seems quite long.   I tried disabling the Certificate Revocation List check in IE as was suggested earlier but that did not help.   I did a rename of the existing host connections to remove any spaces but that did not help.   Perhaps they need to be deleted and re-added.   If you have a lot of machine catalogs, which we do, that's a lot of powershell work to adjust the host connections on each catalog.   Thanks in advance for any help!

R

So I have an update on this!

I noticed when thing were hanging on the catalog. I started watching which services were using the most CPU. The Citrix Host Service was using the most. I thought why not restart the Citrix Host Service. Within seconds of restarting it, the catalogs all populated. I started focusing on what could be causing the hosting services to hang so much. I also remember from a service call that one of the techs told us that space and special characters were bad to use. Looking on the XenCenter, we had spaces in all of our SR storage names on the attached XenServer storage. On my test Controller we only had 5 VM’s and the same delay was experience there too, but I had all the SR entered into hosting. I removed all the references to the SR with spaces and things sped up! I will have to experiment with this more, but think this is good start in the right direction. I am going to show a tech with the ticket I have open. Maybe we will be able to find some type of better solution.

I changed the naming convention of all my storage on XenServer, I removed all spaces from the storage names( for example: MD T0 TEST >> MDT0TEST, and the renamed the storage in the SQL database.  This has resolved my issue. The timing went from 2-4mins down to an average of 30secs from the time of clicking machine catalog or hosting. 

Somewhere on a forum I've read it helps to disable certificate revocation check in IE. As Citrix Studio communicates with local web server and I suppose uses SSL, all web interfaces always checks for certificate validity.

On a "Citrix Studio" server try the following:

Internet Tools -> Advanced -> Security -> untick "Check for publisher's certificate revocation". Personally I've disabled "Check for server certificate revocation" as well.

Hope it helps!

Hello

I am facing a issue and I am very thankfull for who can help me solve this.

I have a HP Proliant DL380 G5 sever with 2 CPU (8cores), 14 GB RAM and 2x146 GB SAS (RAID0).

My hypervisor is XenServer 6.2 and usins XenDesktop is 7.5.

I have installed a VM with WIn Server 2008 R2 to be a domain controller. (40 GB)

I have installed a VM with WIn Server 2008 R2 to install the XenDesktop. (40 GB)

And i have created a VM with Win 7 Pro to be the master image. (40 GB)

I implementing the envoiremnt using the citrix xendesktop reviewers guide.

I have sucessfully created the new site on the xendesktop studio.

Now when i want to create a machine catalog, it created the VMs, it creates the account on the AD, but at the moment of end of catalog creation it pops me up a error that i am sendind here.

Thanks

Regards.

--------------------

Error Id: XDDS:4A5116C7

Exception:

Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.TaskTerminatedException 2 machine failures occurred

PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$: Failed to create the virtual machine; PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$, because the host; Network_LAN does not have sufficient resources

PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$: Failed to create the virtual machine; PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$, because the host; Network_LAN does not have sufficient resources

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.AnalyzeMachineProvisioningResultsTask.RunTask()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.RunSubTasks()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.McsMachineCreationTask.RunTask()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.RunSubTasks()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.Scripts.CreateMcsBasedDesktopCatalogScript.<>c__DisplayClass6.<RunScript>b__2()

at Citrix.Console.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.<>c__DisplayClass3.<StartBackgroundOperation>b__0()

PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$ : [PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$, Failed to create the virtual machine; PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$, because the host; Network_LAN does not have sufficient resources

Error Details

MachineFailure

: PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$Inner Error:

CreateClone failed, insufficient disk space

Error Details

ErrorID

: Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.InsufficientResourcesExceptionTaskErrorInformation

: Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.InsufficientResourcesException: CreateClone failed, insufficient disk space ---> Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.InsufficientResourcesException: CreateClone failed, insufficient disk space

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.DataAccess.TranslateAndThrowFailure(Failure failure, String operationAttempted)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenMachineManager.CreateClone(String vmId, DiskImage parentDisk, Int32 diskIndex, Boolean persistent, Boolean useLocalSrCaching, Boolean indexCanChange)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenMachineManager.CreateVM(String name, IVMMetadata metadata, Int32 cpuCount, Int32 memory, String networkId, Boolean enableNetwork, Boolean tagVms, Boolean useLocalStorageCaching, IList`1 disks, String storageId, Boolean useSparseUpload, NetworkInterfaceDetails networkInterfaceDetails, HypGpuType[] gpuGroup)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenHypervisor.<>c__DisplayClasse.<BeginCreateCompleteVM>b__b(XenMachineManager manager)

at Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.TaskRunItem`2.Run(T manager)

at HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskRunner`1.Run()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskScheduler`1.CompleteTask(IAsyncResult result)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenHypervisor.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitConnector hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)

at Citrix.MachineCreation.NewProvVMSupport.NewProvVMLogic.CreateVmCallback(IAsyncResult result)

]

PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$ : [PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$, Failed to create the virtual machine; PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$, because the host; Network_LAN does not have sufficient resources

Error Details

MachineFailure

: PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$Inner Error:

CreateClone failed, insufficient disk space

Error Details

ErrorID

: Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.InsufficientResourcesExceptionTaskErrorInformation

: Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.InsufficientResourcesException: CreateClone failed, insufficient disk space ---> Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.InsufficientResourcesException: CreateClone failed, insufficient disk space

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.DataAccess.TranslateAndThrowFailure(Failure failure, String operationAttempted)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenMachineManager.CreateClone(String vmId, DiskImage parentDisk, Int32 diskIndex, Boolean persistent, Boolean useLocalSrCaching, Boolean indexCanChange)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenMachineManager.CreateVM(String name, IVMMetadata metadata, Int32 cpuCount, Int32 memory, String networkId, Boolean enableNetwork, Boolean tagVms, Boolean useLocalStorageCaching, IList`1 disks, String storageId, Boolean useSparseUpload, NetworkInterfaceDetails networkInterfaceDetails, HypGpuType[] gpuGroup)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenHypervisor.<>c__DisplayClasse.<BeginCreateCompleteVM>b__b(XenMachineManager manager)

at Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.TaskRunItem`2.Run(T manager)

at HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskRunner`1.Run()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskScheduler`1.CompleteTask(IAsyncResult result)

at Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenHypervisor.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitConnector hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)

at Citrix.MachineCreation.NewProvVMSupport.NewProvVMLogic.CreateVmCallback(IAsyncResult result)

]

DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English'

26-Jul-14 18:52:20

Get-ConfigServiceStatus  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80'

Get-LogSite  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80'

Start-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -Source 'Studio' -StartTime 26-Jul-14 16:52:20 -Text 'Create Machine Catalog `'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English`''

New-BrokerCatalog  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -AllocationType 'Random' -IsRemotePC $False -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -MinimumFunctionalLevel 'L7' -Name 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English' -PersistUserChanges 'Discard' -ProvisioningType 'MCS' -Scope @() -SessionSupport 'SingleSession'

New-AcctIdentityPool  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -AllowUnicode -Domain 'PL-ISCTEM.local' -IdentityPoolName 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English' -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -NamingScheme 'PL-ISCTEM-WS00#' -NamingSchemeType 'Alphabetic' -OU 'OU=Unrestricted,OU=Workstations,OU=Computers,OU=PL-ISCTEM,DC=PL-ISCTEM,DC=local' -Scope @()

Set-BrokerCatalogMetadata  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -CatalogId 2 -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -Name 'Citrix_DesktopStudio_IdentityPoolUid' -Value 'fac7c88f-599a-40e5-8584-8c31c63c1971'

New-HypVMSnapshot  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -LiteralPath 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Network_LAN\PL-ISCTEM-WS00.vm' -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -SnapshotName 'Citrix_XD_Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English'

Test-ProvSchemeNameAvailable  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -ProvisioningSchemeName @('Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English')

New-ProvScheme  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -CleanOnBoot -HostingUnitName 'Network_LAN' -IdentityPoolName 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English' -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -MasterImageVM 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Network_LAN\PL-ISCTEM-WS00.vm\Citrix_XD_Windows 7 SP1 x64.snapshot\Citrix_XD_Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English.snapshot' -NetworkMapping @{'0'='XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Network_LAN\LAN.network'} -ProvisioningSchemeName 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English' -RunAsynchronously -Scope @() -VMCpuCount 1 -VMMemoryMB 2048

Get-ProvTask  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -MaxRecordCount 2147483647 -TaskId 2ebe10e1-818b-4009-938a-10170db91f54

Set-BrokerCatalog  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -Name 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English' -ProvisioningSchemeId 5d29afa3-779d-4cb6-9e8b-3ee701539c35 -RemotePCHypervisorConnectionUid $null

Add-ProvSchemeControllerAddress  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -ControllerAddress @('PL-ISCTEM-VDI01.PL-ISCTEM.local') -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -ProvisioningSchemeName 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English'

Get-AcctADAccount  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -IdentityPoolUid fac7c88f-599a-40e5-8584-8c31c63c1971 -Lock $False -MaxRecordCount 2147483647 -State 'Available'

New-AcctADAccount  -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -Count 2 -IdentityPoolUid fac7c88f-599a-40e5-8584-8c31c63c1971 -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f

New-ProvVM  -ADAccountName @('PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00C$','PL-ISCTEM\PL-ISCTEM-WS00D$') -AdminAddress 'pl-isctem-vdi01.pl-isctem.local:80' -LoggingId 0f6d6f24-7301-4924-9494-5b55ee80e97f -ProvisioningSchemeName 'Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 English' -RunAsynchronously
Hi Tobias

I have 2 disk of 146 GB configured in RAID 0, in total 273 GB Local Storage.

Each of 3 VMs have 40 GB, so it is 120 GB.

So I have moreless 150 GB free.

I am creating a machine catalog with 2 VMs, cloning one of VM wich contain WIndows 7 with 40 GB of space.

So, by the end I should still have 70 GB free with the catalog created.

Does it requires adicional space?

Thanks for the reply.

REgards.

I changed the naming convention of all my storage on XenServer, I removed all spaces from the storage names( for example: MD T0 TEST >> MDT0TEST, and the renamed the storage in the SQL database.  This has resolved my issue. The timing went from 2-4mins down to an average of 30secs from the time of clicking machine catalog or hosting. 

Similar issue here. SR names have '_' underscores but no spaces. Could this be the similar issue? Is an underscore a problematic character?

SQL DB Collation is already correct with 'Latin1_General_100_CI_AS_KS'

Please start you own discussion and do not Hi-Jack other people's discussions.

It makes it hard for people who are attempting to help with the topis.  It also hinders those who are researching the original issue.

Thanks for being considerate to other posters.

Hi Tobias

I have 2 disk of 146 GB configured in RAID 0, in total 273 GB Local Storage.
Each of 3 VMs have 40 GB, so it is 120 GB.
So I have moreless 150 GB free.
I am creating a machine catalog with 2 VMs, cloning one of VM wich contain WIndows 7 with 40 GB of space.
So, by the end I should still have 70 GB free with the catalog created.

Does it requires adicional space?

Thanks for the reply.

REgards.

The lastest Citrix Studio/Desktop Studio Hotfix "DStudio760WX64001" for XenDesktop 7.6 has response times that are very consistant now. Maybe how I remembered them back while using XenDesktop 5.6. While using XenDesktop 7.0 - 7.5, I had to wait minutes sometime, 11 seconds!! This is a dream come true! That is no at means too long. I've noticed the only thing that does work for this in older versions, was restarting the Host service. That would sometime snap it out out of its hanging cycle, but wouldnt do this while provisioning.. ha!

We have 4 host connections as well, running XenServer 6.2 fully patched. Hotfix "DStudio760WX64001" is like a answered prayer. I been looking for this fix since the upgrad form XenDesktop 5.6 to XenDesktop 7.0. I can actually say I am happy with this product. The only thing that could be better now is if pre-launch could load faster on login. :)

Hi All,

Has there been a definitive resolution to this?   We are running an NVIDIA GRID environment connecting to XenServers from our XenDesktop 7.1 site.   Given that each vGPU profile type requires a corresponding Host Connection, we have a lot of Host Connections.   It takes about 5 minutes to refresh the Machine Catalog view.    I had heard that this problem was resolved in XenDesktop 7.6.    We have XD7.6 in our lab and with only 4 Host Connections, the refresh takes 11 seconds, which still seems quite long.   I tried disabling the Certificate Revocation List check in IE as was suggested earlier but that did not help.   I did a rename of the existing host connections to remove any spaces but that did not help.   Perhaps they need to be deleted and re-added.   If you have a lot of machine catalogs, which we do, that's a lot of powershell work to adjust the host connections on each catalog.   Thanks in advance for any help!

R

Make sure your storage names on XenServer pool don’t contain spaces or special characters. The only thing that has spaces in my XenDesktop environment are the delivery group and applications. Working with a tech on my test environment we noticed if we removed the spaces from the names we got down to 30 seconds.

Thanks Timothy.  

Yes, I agree.   If the refresh time stays close to 11 seconds, then I am okay with that.    I am concerned that when we upgrade to 7.6 in production, our 10 to 14 host connections will still take several minutes to refresh.

When you removed the spaces, did you delete all your Host Connections and recreate them without spaces?   Or, did you simply rename them in the GUI?

I had not applied the patch, DStudio760WX64001, in our lab environment so I will give that a shot.  Great info.   I'll reply back with results.

Thanks!

Richard

Try this:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX139325

Or

Please try the following on DDC. This commands will interact with database, so make sure database backup is made before you run the commands.
Run the following PowerShell commands:

add-pssnapin citrix*

1. Clean up the existing registration:

Get-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance | Unregister-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance

2. Re-register services and restart membership groups:

Get-ConfigServiceInstance | Register-ConfigServiceInstance

Get-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance | Reset-ConfigServiceGroupMembership

Get-HypServiceInstance | Register-ConfigServiceInstance

Get-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance | Reset-HypServiceGroupMembership

Get-AcctServiceInstance | Register-ConfigServiceInstance

Get-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance | Reset-AcctServiceGroupMembership

Get-PvsVmServiceInstance | Register-ConfigServiceInstance

Get-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance | Reset-PvsVmServiceGroupMembership

Get-ProvServiceInstance | Register-ConfigServiceInstance

Get-ConfigRegisteredServiceInstance | Reset-ProvServiceGroupMembership

Get-BrokerServiceInstance | Register-ConfigServiceInstance

Get-ConfigServiceInstance | Reset-BrokerServiceGroupMembership

3. Restart services (or DDC server).

I have to add to this thread that I have 7.6 with XA_XD_760_Controller_X64_HFs_2 hotfix and can't load the machine catalog or hosting consistently without timing out. We are using SCVMM on 2012 R2, not xenserver mentioned many times in this thread. Citrix support lead us to SCVMM and it's update rollup 6. I haven't tried any of the previous solutions provided in this thread yet, but would figure I'd chime in and bump it to the top of discussion.

Brian

David,

What type of storage is your hosted pool using? We used to be on LVM over iscsi, and it was terrible! We now use NFS with file-based storage with a product called Nexenta. Which also has awesome compression ratios combined with thin provisioning.

Also try not to use spaces and special characters like "_","-" or the others in any of the names relating to anything to do with hosting, even on the SCVMM side of things. I saw an improvement after doing this. Working with a Citrix Tech, I was given this suggestion.

Do you have a test environment? Does it do the same thing over there?

Hi, does anyone have any update on this? I am in the same situation as Brian Savage currently. Using SCVMM 2012R2 and now Machine Catalogs and Hosting sections take ages to load or do not load at all.

Archived