Photo

How to automate Xenclient Engine deployment to clients via SCCM

Started by Eduart Baliaj , 26 December 2013 - 04:58 AM
7 replies to this topic

Eduart Baliaj Members

Eduart Baliaj
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

I found a link that shows how to deploy Xenclient Engine using PVS but I want to use SCCM, does anyone know how to fully automate the Xenclient engine deployment via SCCM on laptops.

Thanks

Jarian Gibson CTP Member

Jarian Gibson
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Have you looked at the following?

http://www.citrix.com/content/dam/citrix/en_us/documents/oth/unifying-and-simplifying-pc-device-management-using-xenclient-enterprise-with-system-center-configuration-manager.pdf

Greg Roll Members

Greg Roll
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

We actually have this working really nicely with MDT but the same process will apply for SCCM.

The easiest way we found (and most reliable) was to mimic what the XC windows installer does.

The steps are roughly as below...

• Run the Windows installer on a Windows machine. Don't reboot after installation.
  • Copy the folder nxtop from C:\
  • Copy nxtldr and nxtldr.mbr
  • Download grubinst.exe
  • Download the attached grub.cfg (see note below...)
  • Create a new package with the following files and folders
    • grub.cfg
    • grubinst.exe
    • nxtldr
    • nxtldr.mbr
    • nxtop\
  • Create a task sequence that format the disk. For this I used the following command as the normal format and partition command doesn't work if XC is installed or if the disk is encrypted (I can't remember which one)
    • cmd /c "(echo select disk 0& echo clean) | diskpart"
  • After this step run a normal partition disk and set the format to FAT32
  • Then I have a master script that does the following
    • Copies the contents of the package to C:\ so that there is a folder called C:\nxtop and files C:\nxtldr and C:\nxtldr.mbr
  • Then if you so desire we have another script which modifies the client.ini in C:\nxtop\boot with settings that are dependant for the machine we are on such as computer name.

IMPORTANT NOTE

---------------------------

If you boot from USB media the XC installer will prompt you for which disk you would like to install from. There is no way around this in the installer. To overcome this we have another script at the start of the TS that detects if a USB is plugged in and asks the users to remove it.

GRUB.CFG

----------------

By default on the XenClient ISO the value of DOM0_mem=1024. We found this needed to be 1536 for some versions of XC and later versions 2048. If this value is not high enough XenClient will start to install and then reboot as it runs out of memory.

NEW VERSIONS

-----------------------

With each new version rename the xenclient.iso file to dom0.iso. Copy this to nxtop\boot\dom0.iso. If you find issues in future versions you may just need to repeat the process or update the files in nxtop\boot from the installer CD.

I hope this helps you on your way. It seems a lot but once it's done it's very easy.

Greg

Eduart Baliaj Members

Eduart Baliaj
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Greg, thanks so much for your response, it is very helpful. I got another question for you, where can you get the following files from.

grub.cfg
grubinst.exe
nxtldr
nxtldr.mbr
nxtop

Thanks

Peter Downing Citrix Employees

Peter Downing
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Fellas:

This is a shining example of how a community should work!

Greg: I will be following up with you because coincidentally I am testing this in my lab.  I am working on a TechNote for this.

In parallel, I am working on how to use the existing PXE service with MSFT SCCM which is involved.

Regards,

Pete

Pete Downing

Principal Product Manager, XenClient Enterprise

Dan White Members

Dan White
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

Was a TechNote ever written on this topic? A good blog with someone that has attempted with ConfigMgr would be handy.

Jesse Benedict Citrix Employees

Jesse Benedict
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

None that I am aware of as the community has taken the solution and has come up with some very clever solutions for use cases, such as this.

--jkbs | @xenfomation

Dan White Members

Dan White
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:33 AM

I can confirm that this works for both ConfigMgr 2007 and 2012 variants USB and PXE Task Sequence deployments.