Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Can I use a current vDisk as base for a new/different vDisk?

John Kelly1709152471

Question

Hi All,

I have a very nice XenApp6.5 PVS vDisk that it working well for over 150 users now, so well that I don't want to mess anything up!

I have been asked to provide 'another' vDisk image for a different department who would like to move onto the same Citrix farm but they have different software requirements on their citrix servers (this will be split by worker groups).

As the original image is working so well - is it possible to take a duplicate copy of a vDisk and then provision a new vDisk based on that? (bascially using the current version as a base for a new vDisk)  If so, is there a best method - I don't want to mess up anything on the existing image.

The new department has 95% same requirements of the current vDisk, except for a different java version and IE10 and some other minor things. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

JAK

6 answers to this question

Yes:

1. If using versioning, create a merged base.
  2. Use Explorer and go to the vDisk store. Look for the newest .vhd file. Copy the .vhd file and .pvp file (but don't copy the .lok file). Either paste the files in the same store with a different name or paste the files to a different vDisk store folder.
  3. In the PvS Console, right-click the vDisk store and click Add or Import Existing vDisk.
  4. Use the drop-down to select the correct PvS server. Click Search. Then click Add.

You now have a new copied vDisk that can be assigned to a device.

Carl/Darragh,

Thanks for the advice and sounds as simple as I thought but wanted to verify with experts!  I do use versioning so will create the merge base first.  This might be a silly question but do I need to create an export file first (on the original vDisk) to enable me to import the duplicate?  Or can you import/add a vDisk without the need for an export xml file? 

Thanks again.

JAK

On 11/21/2013 at 6:50 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Yes:

1. If using versioning, create a merged base.
  2. Use Explorer and go to the vDisk store. Look for the newest .vhd file. Copy the .vhd file and .pvp file (but don't copy the .lok file). Either paste the files in the same store with a different name or paste the files to a different vDisk store folder.
  3. In the PvS Console, right-click the vDisk store and click Add or Import Existing vDisk.
  4. Use the drop-down to select the correct PvS server. Click Search. Then click Add.

You now have a new copied vDisk that can be assigned to a device.

Hi Carl,

I have tried the above steps to create new vdisk with my existing vdisk (Private mode vdisk ) but I'm getting an error "Your PC ran into a problem and need to restart. we are just collecting some error info, and we will restart for you 0% completed " if you'd like to know more you can search online later for this error: Network_boot_duplicate_address. after some time it will appears to repair the PC. The VM is able to search the vdisk even I can see windows operating icon. Please help me on this  image.thumb.png.bddf77c240f20fe40e5939ab69ff29b4.png

image.thumb.png.748f51904ab07212759bca4f999c5df1.png

Archived