Photo

Java upgrade to latest version causes GUI issues - Netscaler VPX200 10.0

Started by network manager , 16 October 2013 - 10:15 AM
46 replies to this topic

Best Answer Arda Ovacik , 16 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hello everyone

The Java packaging process has been changed recently. The latest JRE release (7.45) expects the Jar's to have some of the new packaging parameters. JAR's that don't have the new packaging parameters will fail the Java Security test and will be deemed unsafe. The current NetScaler GUI does not have these new packaging parameters hence will not load.

If you wish to use the latest JRE version please follow the below workaround

. Go to Java Control panel General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> Keep temporary files on my computer Unselect the option. Close the Browser and relaunch the GUI.

Impacts of using JRE 7.45 with workaround:
1. There will be two messages shown before the GUI loading asking you to accept the applet security settings. Please accept both.
2. The Jar files will not be cached and you will have to download the files every time you access the GUI.

network manager Members

network manager
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

We run netscaler vpx200 NS10.0: Build 75.7.nc and since windows updates have upgraded Java we're unable to open anything within the gui once logged in.

we receive the attached error (Java Applet could not be loaded) and therefore unable to administer the device.

Are there any known issues / fixes for administering the netscaler on the latest version of java?

we've tested in IE, Chrome, and FF and get the same results. It will let you open up a new window once i.e. Load Balancing > Virtual Servers > vserver but anything from there, whether its a change or a new vserver etc gives you the error.

i'm sure we can downgrade java but would like to keep existing and understand how to fix.

IE9 Java 1.7 (1.7.0_10) works but 1.7.0.40 or 1.7.0.45 does not.

the only thing we've tested is within the advanced settings for Java (within Control Panel). we've changed the mixed code from 'enable - show warnings if needed' to 'disable verification' and also changed 'perform certificate revocation checks = do not check.

Any assistance would be great

Thanks,

Attached Files

Keith Symmonds Members

Keith Symmonds
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

This simple is not acceptable. An update to the latest version of Java should not break a control panel. Why, oh why, oh why do you continue to use this utter garbage??

{sigh}

network manager Members

network manager
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

we've also tested by changing the url from /menu/rep to /menu/guia and testing, as well as, logging in as nsroot but neither work.

we've taken IE out of compatibility mode, cleared java cache, and checked that the java web start/plug-in is enabled.

Sigurd Hansen Members

Sigurd Hansen
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

We have the exact same problem after updating to the latest Java version.

Arda Ovacik Citrix Employees

Arda Ovacik
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hello everyone

The Java packaging process has been changed recently. The latest JRE release (7.45) expects the Jar's to have some of the new packaging parameters. JAR's that don't have the new packaging parameters will fail the Java Security test and will be deemed unsafe. The current NetScaler GUI does not have these new packaging parameters hence will not load.

If you wish to use the latest JRE version please follow the below workaround

. Go to Java Control panel General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> Keep temporary files on my computer Unselect the option. Close the Browser and relaunch the GUI.

Impacts of using JRE 7.45 with workaround:
1. There will be two messages shown before the GUI loading asking you to accept the applet security settings. Please accept both.
2. The Jar files will not be cached and you will have to download the files every time you access the GUI.

Best Answer

Martin Walzak Members

Martin Walzak
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for the workaround! I tested and its working.

This Java is really annoying in the Netscaler GUI. Its slow and very unreliable. I hope that it will be removed at some stage.

Derek Seaman Members

Derek Seaman
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

We have untold problems with the Java apps too. Most of our systems have no internet connection, so certificate verification either takes a long time to time out or apps refuse to load. Highly, highly frustrating. Spent 2+ hours today trying to get the NS GUI to load on two Win7 PCs. Never did get it running on one. These were using the older 7.25 (I think) JRE.

Brett Hill Members

Brett Hill
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Saved my butt. Thanks!

network manager Members

network manager
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for the assistance. the proposed resolution worked.

this is my first post on here so its re-assuring to get such a quick response

David Chivers Members

David Chivers
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Workaround seems good. To get around having to load every little configuration item separately, I am reverting to the old interface - replace "/neo" with "/guia" in the URL after logon.
Citrix: please hurry development of the full HTML interface.

Martin Walzak Members

Martin Walzak
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

Thanks David for this hint! The old GUI is so much quicker. I am really wondering why the Java crap has been implemented in the latest versions.

Paul Blitz Members

Paul Blitz
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

In fact, the new menus system uses LESS Java than the old menu system...

As I understand it, the old (9.x) GUI was entirely Java. With 10.x, they have started changing the GUI so that much of it now uses HTML5, but it's a big job, so loads of the 'sub parts' still use the old Java code. I guess long term, there will be less and less Java used, until it's finally all done in HTML5....

JOE WHITE Members

JOE WHITE
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the workaround.

Bart Vermeersch Members

Bart Vermeersch
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

To get it working with Java 7 update 51, we had to change the security slider (Java Control Panel - Security) to medium or add the url of the gui to the Exception Site List.

Timothy Barrineau Members

Timothy Barrineau
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Bart.  Came in this morning and the update 51 was pushed.  It's a happy Thursday.  Thanks to you!

Marco Zimmermann Members

Marco Zimmermann
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

That´s driving me nuts!!!!!!

Paul Lewis Members

Paul Lewis
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

I tried all the workarounds. Still can't get the applet to load.

David Chivers Members

David Chivers
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

In the most recent update I had to open Control Panel > Java and add the host names of my NetScalers to the Exception Site List under the Security tab. Nice of Oracle to throw in some security after all this time :mellow:

luis miranda Members

luis miranda
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Bart's workaround for 7.51 worked for me.

James O'Regan Members

James O'Regan
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Bart's workaround for 7.51 worked , can someone at Citrix tell me when  you are  moving off Java from the fact it is causing issues with the GUI and of the security risks associated with the platform