Photo

PVS 7 logging bug?

Started by Michel Stevelmans , 03 July 2013 - 08:56 AM
14 replies to this topic

Michel Stevelmans Members

Michel Stevelmans
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

So far I've setup 3 PVS 7 environments and all of them do not create any logfiles in the usual directory "C:\ProgramData\Citrix\Provisioning Services\Log".

I also noticed that the logging tab is missing on the server properties.

According to the online eDocs, PVS 7 should still log to "C:\ProgramData\Citrix\Provisioning Services\Log".

Am I missing something here or is this a bug ?

Yann Michalak Members

Yann Michalak
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hi,

The same HERE :-(

Jonas Brammesjö Members

Jonas Brammesjö
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think you will find the logs in Windows Event Viewer instead, if you enable "Log events to the server's Windows Event Log" under server properties.

Michel Stevelmans
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi Jonas,

Unfortunately, the logging to the event viewer is very high level and mostly useless for deeper troubleshooting.
In one environment I am troubleshooting, I can't even get into the console, let alone enable that option.

Jonas Brammesjö Members

Jonas Brammesjö
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi Michel,

That is true, I would also appreciate a more verbose logging (as it was before).

Jens Diedrich Members

Jens Diedrich
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

eDocs for PVS 7.0 says that logging and tracing now uses CDF:
http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/provisioning-7/pvs-log-wrapper.html

But it seems to me that the latest downloadable CDFControl 2.6.1.0 doesn't support PVS. I always get
"<Unknown Format>: Failed to find matching TMF for GUID -> 5BE3CBD5-B045-2481-E72D-2058B08B85E0"

Gertjan Jongeneel Members

Gertjan Jongeneel
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

Same problem here. I have found so far that the Citrix PVS Soap Server service is not very stable on Windows Server 2012. But nowhere to troubleshoot. Another issue is when I add a second PVS server (HA), then a lot of target devices are not able to boot from vDisk any longer. The process stops at 'Connecting to the Provisioning Services. Plase wait..." message. So TFTP is working, but no booting from vDisk. When I shutdown the second server, everything works smoothly. Without a log option, this is very hard to troubleshoot. It only leaves something like Wireshark....

Michel Stevelmans
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi Gert Jan,

I've found a PowerShell script called New-PVSLogTrace in the PVS 7.0 iso, which sets up CDF, but like Jens Diedrich already mentioned: the output is unreadable.

I have issues with the SOAP server as well. Also getting a "The domain/user does not have access to the Farm" after logging onto the console AFTER a reboot (right after install I can login).

What I have found so far is that the environments I have succesfully installed PVS 7.0 in are all non-Window 2012 domain/forest level environments.
Because I cannot do anything with logging in PVS 7.0 in the Windows 2012 level environment, I installed a 2008 R2 server with PVS 6.1 and again I'm having issues. The logfiles show issues with SPN's because I'm seeing things like "SetPrincipalName ERROR: DsWriteAccountSpn"+ and +"Unable to create SPN for service account", so right now I'm thinking PVS 7.0 is having issues with Windows 2012 domain/forest level environments.
Something else I noticed about the spn's: The eDocs mention this problem and suggest you create the spn's with the command setspn.exe -a... This command does not exist anymore in Windows 2012 and should be setspn.exe -s.
Sigh... PVS 7.0 seems to be a real .0 release...

John Nelson Citrix Employees

John Nelson
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Take a look at this technote. This article describes how to enable continuous CDF tracing in Provisioning Services 7.0 using the updated CDFMonitor.exe.config file.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX138698

Regards
John

Stefan Raben Members

Stefan Raben
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the article but how to get readable output from the ETL file?

Carl Fallis Citrix Employees

Carl Fallis
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

The CDF control should pick them up from the public link that contains all the public Citrix TMF files.

Edited by: Carl Fallis on Sep 13, 2013 7:18 AM

Lisa Stone Members

Lisa Stone
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Same issue here.  CDF produces logs, but they are unreadable. How do you read these logs?

Stefano Losego Members

Stefano Losego
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

same issue here... but searching on citrix site i found this:
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136079

and in the description section on the article is reported as follow:

"

PVS Logs (PVS 6.1 and earlier) NOTE: The ConfigWizard log is the only log remaining with PVS 7.x. All data previously collected in log format is now included in CDF tracing.

"

So it seems that the product docs is wrong:

http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/provisioning-7/pvs-server-properties.html#pvs-server-properties__pvs-server-props-logging-tab-new

and all log file (except configwizard) are gone, replaced by CDF trace...

Thank you Citrix :(

Bye

Stefano

Jaroslaw Sobel Members

Jaroslaw Sobel
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the article but how to get readable output from the ETL file?

Here are information how to open ETL file:

http://xenthusiast.com/how-to-open-and-analyze-citrix-cdf-traces-cdflogfile-etl-files/

At the end of this post you will find screenshot from CDFAnalyzer with ETL file from PVS 7.1. It's working correctly.

Trent Lewis Members

Trent Lewis
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

Hi,

The above Xenthusiast article is great and was extremely useful. However I still encountered issues completing a debug, even with the most current tmf download.

Discussions with Citrix support led to being advised that not all tmf files are made public. You may still require support to assist in the debug in some cases.

Happy to have this information proved incorrect, as it can be time consuming to raise a support call for a debug we could complete ourselves.