Photo

Failed to upload disk, Xendesktop with vCenter / vSphere 5.1

Started by Hung Nguyen The , 12 September 2012 - 04:50 AM
15 replies to this topic

Best Answer Paul Browne , 17 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

As an update to hnguyen910 problem, we worked though the logs and found the problem (old IP address still set up). so it was not a 5.1 problem directly.

Hung Nguyen The Members

Hung Nguyen The
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

We have tried a few testings with vCenter 5.1 and Xendesktop 5.6 failed to create vm. From what I saw, the base image was created then VMs created but got deleted by Xendesktop imidiately. The Desktop Controller report with error "Failed to upload disk".
If I try to provision Machine Catalog on vsphere 5.1, Controller report an error saying it can't find the snapshot.
I know trying on new and not-yet-supported version is not appropriate thing to ask, but I just want narrow down the problem.
Thanks

Mark Syms Citrix Employees

Mark Syms
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Some more information would help diagnose this.

Are you using HTTP or HTTPS. If using HTTP then have you changed the access permissions in proxy.xml for both the /sdk and / namespaces? If the / namespace is not chnaged then pretty much everything except for the disk upload will work so this is a good candidate. If you are using HTTP then it is highly recommended to switch to HTTPS and use the instructions here (http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/xendesktop-rho/cds-vmware-rho.html) to import the VMware SSL certificate into your XenDesktop controller.

Mark.

Hung Nguyen The Members

Hung Nguyen The
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi Mark,
The connection between Xendesktop Controller and vCenter server is already HTTPS. I have run CDFtrace and the log shows"500 internal error" (log also attached).
Thanks and Regards,
Hung Nguyen

Attached Files

• Attached File  cdf.zip   582.12K   12 downloads

Mark Syms
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Ok, so something went badly wrong inside the vCenter service. Is there anything in the logs on vCenter at around (09/12/2012) 14:45:37:088 that might be relevant? I would suggest not posting your vCenter logs here as there could be all sorts of things in them that you don't want exposing.

Mark.

Tung Lam Nguyen Members

Tung Lam Nguyen
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Someone please confirms that XenDesktop could run on newly vSphere 5.1. Because i am having the same problem.

Mark Syms
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

We know of no reason why it will not work but our internal testing is still ongoing.

Mark.

Helpful Answer

Paul Browne Citrix Employees

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi, I have just installed VMWare 5.1 and ran Xendesktop 5.6 against it.

All tests that I have run worked correctly. It created the base disk and then uploaded the Identity disk correctly and I had a working machine at the end

As this is an internal VMWare error, can you provide the vCenter logs to see if we can get a better idea of the failure.

I would not post them to in the forum but email me directly, you can get my email address from my profile.

Regards

Paul

Edited by: Paul Browne on Sep 13, 2012 9:45 AM

Helpful Answer

Hung Nguyen The Members

Hung Nguyen The
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi Paul,
I have mailed the vcenter log to your email address. Really looking forward to hearing from you.

Tung Lam Nguyen Members

Tung Lam Nguyen
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Hi Paul

I got another problem that after i install the new vmware 5.1 tools on VM. I could not connect to the VM using Citrix receiver thought i already reinstall VDA. could you pls check on that ?

Updated: i removed vmware tools then the connection is established.

PS: even i reinstall my vCenter (5.1). It still shows "Fail to upload disk".

Edited by: tnguyen597 on Sep 13, 2012 11:16 PM

Matt Ailstock Members

Matt Ailstock
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

This is probably not the case but I want to mention that I had an error similar to yours month ago, but the issue was because my master image still had either an ISO file or CD mounted at the time of image creation. The creation process failed and I received a similar error to yours.

Paul Browne Citrix Employees

Paul Browne
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

As an update to hnguyen910 problem, we worked though the logs and found the problem (old IP address still set up). so it was not a 5.1 problem directly.

Best Answer

Hung Nguyen The Members

Hung Nguyen The
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

That's exactly as what Paul described and now we no longer have the issue.

Jordi Ramallo Members

Jordi Ramallo
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Which old IP address Paul was talking about ? Old vCenter IP ?
Can you please explain what did you do to remove the issue?
Thank you

Hung Nguyen The Members

Hung Nguyen The
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

It's the old Ip address of Vsphere host on the distribution Switch.
We did a bad removal of the vsphere host from the distribution Switch, so the old ip address was used for data transfer while no network adapter of the vsphere host was associated with the distribution switch.

Jordi Ramallo Members

Jordi Ramallo
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ok. Just a connectivity issue then. Thanks.

Benjamin eze Members

Benjamin eze
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

I have thesame proble, but i do not know what you mean by old ip address of host still setup in the distribution switch, how do i find this ip address and how do i change it