Photo

How can I verify that the STA is running?

Started by Administrator , 24 January 2008 - 08:50 PM
15 replies to this topic

Administrator Administrators

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

I'm trying to implement CPS 4.5 with citrix access gateway and advanced access control. On the AAC server, I'm trying to configure it to point to my STA, which is running on a presentation server. When I try to have it resolve the STA ID, I get an error that says:

The specified STA server could not be contacted. Please Re-enter the server name or enter the STA ID manually.

How can I verify that the STA actually is running?
If it is running, how can I find the STA ID? Why does it not resolve?

KEN ZYGMUNT Members

KEN ZYGMUNT
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

Michael

There's a utility on the Citrix website called Project MedEvac

http://support.citrix.com/article/ctx107935

This does a quite thorough test on a Citrix Server. I believe the test you need is the XML ticketing test.

Regards

Ken Z

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the link to that tool.

I'm trying to figure all this out as I go along (I'm new to citrix).

I ran this medevac test. TS and RPC passed, both XML tests said "Failure! - The operation completed successfully." That seems a bit contradictory to me.

So, apparently the XML service and STA are not running as they should. How can I resolve this?

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

What is the XML service called? My cps server doesn't even have an 'XML service' or 'Citrix XML service' installed, let alone running. I thought this was installed by default?

KEN ZYGMUNT Members

KEN ZYGMUNT
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

the XML Service should appear as "Citrix XML Service" in the services MMC snap-in.

One reason that the XML Ticketing test might fail is if it's been installed on a TCP port other than port 80.

go to the Citrix Server that you were doing the test on, start the AMC, browse to the specific server in the console and right-click and select Properties. In the Server Proerties window, go to the bottom of the list and click on 'XML Service'. comnfirm the TCP/IP Port that has been configured.

If you really don't have an XML Service installed, then it might be that you have a corrupted installation. I also remembeer reading somewhere that if you've got IIS installed on the Citrix Server, the XML Service doesn't appear in the Services list. Can you confirm whether you have or have not got IIS installed on your Citrix Server?

Regards

Ken Z

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Yes, IIS is installed on this server. This is a small enough of an implementation that I'm running the web interface and presentation server on the same box.

In the AMC, it tells me that the xml service is using the same port as IIS, which is how I configured it during installation.

KEN ZYGMUNT Members

KEN ZYGMUNT
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

and both are using port 80?

also, where are you running the AAC Service? I normally put the AAC and the WI on the same box, and have CPS on it's own server.

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

IIS is using port 80.

AAC is on a separate server. WI and CPS are on the same server.

KEN ZYGMUNT Members

KEN ZYGMUNT
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Michael

Is this system in production, or are you still installing / testing it? If it's not in production, my recommendation would be to uninstall all the Citrix components (including WI), remove all IIS Components, then re-install Citrix without WI or Citrix Licensing. This will install the Citrix XML service without it having to share the port with IIS.

Install WI (and if necessary Citrix License Server) on the AAC Server or some other server in your network.

Regards

Ken Z

KEN ZYGMUNT Members

KEN ZYGMUNT
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

Is this thread still open?

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

Yes, this thread is still open.

This implementation isn't in production yet, but I'm on a deadline to get it up and running. I'd really rather not have to start over if possible. The web interface and license server are both running on the cps server. According to citrix documentation, it's ok to do it that way for a smaller implementation.

James Crocker Citrix Employees

James Crocker
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

the default installation for CPS when IIS is previously installed on the box is to share port 80 for both XML and HTTP. It does this through the use of an ISAPI filter, and is a very common configuration.

It does sound as though something is wrong however with the STA - it could be a permissions issue in one of the IIS directories, or a webapp that is not set correctly or corrupt... Its hard to diagnose without seeing the server, although the event viewer may give you a clue. Make sure that ctxsta.dll, ctxconfproxy.dll and ctxsta.config exist within c:\inetpub\scripts.

It sounds as though you only have a single CPS server? If so, what might be easiest is to move the XML/STA service to its own port instead of sharing with IIS. You can do this by running the following command:

ctxxmlss /r8080

(this will create a service that appears in the services.msc that runs on port 8080 - you can pick any free port you like though).

This also means you need to reference this different port wherever any component needs to talk to XML or STA... You will need to change this in:

Web Interface:
The Presentation Server farm XML
The STA server

AAC:
The presentation server farm XML
The STA server
The access gateway properties: configured XML

Hope this helps...

Administrator
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, this helped.

The XML service was set to use the same port as IIS. I guess that was the problem. After chaning the XML port, things started working better.

After changing the xml port and messing with a few other settings, we got it to work.

Leonardo Goes Members

Leonardo Goes
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Ken, I would not recommend AAC and WI on the same server. I had problems with customers doing that because both WI and AAC change configurations in the Default Site of IIS and that can cause problems.

What I do recommend is WI on a separate server or with XenApp, AAC on a separate server.

David Thomas Members

David Thomas
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I know its 5 years old question but the easy answer that no one posted is to

look here for TCPPORT to see what port the XML service is using
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CtxHttp

Izaak Salman Members

Izaak Salman
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Check Citrix STA service from XenApp server if that running. You can verify STA running or not from Manage-Services and Application - Services.
If service stop, restart it if its again hangs you can copy STA file from working server and replace it to the server which is hang. Restart the service and check if STA run.
Cheers
Izaak