Updated Privacy Statement

Xenserver does not start after installing raid 1

Polina Polina

Question

Hey .  There is a dell power edge r720 server with a mini h710 controller and 5 sata hdd (raid 10+ raid 0).  It uses xenserver paravirtualization.  It was decided to add an additional 2 ssd sas disks and merge them into a separate raid 1. After successfully installing the disks and determining their dell, they were merged into a raid, but xenserver could not boot and issued such a message as in the photo below.  At the same time, xen was launched when new disks were not added to the raid. Please tell me the possible causes of this problem?  Could it be that the dell h710 mini controller does not support sata raid?

IMG_20190802_175030.jpg

6 answers to this question

You may have wiped out the OS installation in the process of adding extra drives to expand your existing RAID 1 group. On most RAID controller, this will totally rebuild the RAID 1 array.

My guess is that you will need to install XS again from scratch. It would have been OK if you were adding a separate RAID 1 group, but then you'd have two

separate volumes instead of one large one.

-=Tobias

XenServer looks like it booted, but trying to sneak two more drives in on XenServer has caused issues. Personally 

if I ever make hardware changes I reinstall. Its just much easier to let the installer figure things out that doing 

it post install. If you have a pool its pretty easy, if its a single server then I know that becomes a little harder.

--Alan--

6 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

XenServer looks like it booted, but trying to sneak two more drives in on XenServer has caused issues. Personally 

if I ever make hardware changes I reinstall. Its just much easier to let the installer figure things out that doing 

it post install. If you have a pool its pretty easy, if its a single server then I know that becomes a little harder.

--Alan--

Thanks, nice idea.  but I’m not worried about losing an existing raid with a new xenserver installation?  Do I need to re-create them?