Can't update machine in MCS

Started by Andy White , 19 April 2017 - 12:39 PM
7 replies to this topic

Andy White Members

Andy White
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hello,

We use XenApp 7.6 (Windows 2012R2) in VMware.

I've gone to update our VDA workers from our master image via Studio and it says it successfully did it, but when I reboot they are still on the previous version (before my updates).

I've noticed in the datastore it has 2 VMDKs for the master image.

1 is the 3rd of March which is the one it takes and the other is the 19th April which is the one it should take.  (see attached).

Any ideas why it might be doing this?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• studio1.PNG

Martin Rowan Citrix Employees

Martin Rowan
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

Andy, how are you rebooting your VDA? The reboot needs to be initiated via Studio to trigger MCS to update the VM to point to the new base disk.

Thanks Martin

Andy White Members

Andy White
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hi Martin,

Yes it's always via Studio or it will never normally work.  I have a nightly scheduled reboot via Studio,so I make the changes in the day and they reboot at 2am and in the morning we are normally updated.  It seems to be ignoring the new vmdk.  I think the snapshots were deleted via VMware which may of caused an issue.

Not sure where to go from here.  I don't really want to have to create a new MC then Delivery Group, which I think may fix the issue.

In Studio > Logging is says it was successful, but I guess it would if it was simply using the other vmdk.

Any ideas would be great.

Martin Rowan
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Andy, as you say a quick fix may be to create a new catalog using your desired snapshot and you can add those to an existing delivery group and then remove the old catalog. 

Did catalog updates ever work with this catalog? If you don't know, then the output of get-BrokerCatalog would be useful to confirm that this is a non-persistent catalog.

Else we'd probably need to look at CDF tracing and working with Tech support to understand what's going wrong.

Martin

Andy White Members

Andy White
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Yes they have been working fine.  In VMware the master image shows no snapshots, but I think (hypothetically maybe Studio thinks there should be one).  We have other MCS/DG's which I have yet to check.

Not sure what to look for in here Martin:

add-pssnapin Citrix*
 get-BrokerCatalog

(see attachment)

Attached Files

Andy White Members

Andy White
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hi Martin, 

I've noticed 1 VDA worker in the MC/DG is ok svr-xa-05 but svr-xa-06 isn't.

Look at the AssignedImage and BootedImage

They should be using PROD Windows 2012R2 MCS-baseDisk/18 Apr  2017 10-51-14.7572Z.vmdk,resgroup-1563,Vmfs

Attached Files

Martin Rowan
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Andy, looking at get-provvm output, it indicates that the the two VMs you have shown are using different storage, is that right:

SVR-XA-05 - LUN-SVR-CTX-PRD2

SVR-XA-06 - LUN-SVR-CTX-PRD1

When the catalog update occurred did the snapshot get cloned to both storage locations? I note that both VMs are showing ImageOutOfDate          : False

So MCS doesn't think it needs to update the catalog. Are you able to retry the catalog update and confirm a) The image out of date flag goes to to true ahead of a reboot, and confirm that the snapshot is cloned to all the storage locations defined in the host connection. (I think there have been issues in some versions of XA/XD where we didn't handle the failure to deploy to defined storage).

Andy White Members

Andy White
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Hello,

Yes they are 2 different LUNs we use and have been fine for many months.

I've pushed it again and from the text file you can see the image out of date is now set to true but the AssignedImage & BootedImage are way different.

Attached Thumbnails

• LUN-SVR-CTX-PRD1.PNG
  • LUN-SVR-CTX-PRD2.PNG

Attached Files