metatdata backup to cifs

Started by Alastair MacFarlane , 19 April 2017 - 11:24 AM
5 replies to this topic

Alastair MacFarlane Members

Alastair MacFarlane
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Dear All,

What I am trying to do is do a manual backup to a windows server cifs drive and I am not sure it is possible.

Purpose: Do a manual pool metadata backup to a server on a remote subnet/pool.

Software: XenServer 6.5

In Pool B, I have a windows server with a folder share that I would like my metatdata to be backed up to from Pool A.

In the Pool A I have a cifs SR that points to that windows share. When I do a manual backup from the Console, the cifs SR is not listed and also when I create the backup on another SR and try to move it in XenCenter, it does not allow me.

This tells me that it is either a rights issue or it is not possible. The cifs drive has the domain admin credentials entered for logon.

I hope someone can assist.

I was doing it this way as my knowledge of the commands console is not that great.

Thanks again for your time.

Alastair

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

It does sound like something is wrong with the share permissions, does it show is xe sr-list ? Can you create a disk on it and attach it to a VM and use it properly ? 

--Alan--

Alastair MacFarlane
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

Alan,

Thanks for the reply. It does appear on the sr-list but you cannot create any vdi. The add button is not visible.

The Xenserver account root is a local account and the XENSERVER is connected to the domain. The root user should therefore have access to the remote folder. Everyone has full control (NTFS) access to the folder.

Adding the SR only succeeds if the domain admin account is used.

Thanks for your help.

Alastair

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

When you created the SR did you specify the username/password or did you let the server try to pass credentials? 

--Alan--

Alastair MacFarlane
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Alan,

Thanks for the reply. If I added the path without any credentials it failed. Only the domain admin worked. This is where I get confused. For the local root user to have access to save the metadata, surely it would need access to this ntfs permission folder, but I cannot give it the access needed as the root user is local to the Xenserver itself. In my head this would never work.

Is this something you should be able to do, save the metadata to another XenServer/subnet at a different physical location?

Thanks again.

Alastair

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Once XenServer has the CIFS share mounted when XenServer saves the metadata to the CIFS SR it should just be from the Linux perspective just a simple copy process. The permissions of the domain admin when you mounted the CIFS share would be what permissions is used. Different subnet/physical location should make no difference (but an SR over a WAN could lead to corruption easily).

the fact that your created a CIFS SR but can't use it with VM vdi's must mean something is going on either protocol wise with CIFS or permissions wise with access.

--Alan--