Xenapp and Windows Search Service issues

Started by KevHal , 19 April 2017 - 09:03 AM
4 replies to this topic

KevHal Members

Kevin Halstead
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Hi,

Bit of advice on dealing with Windows Search.

We have 5 Xenapp servers 7.6 running on Server 2012 R2.

We have around 16 users on each server during the day. Looks like the Windows Search Service has been installed. 

We are finding on a daily bases the searchindexer.exe processes hammering the CPU for around 30 seconds periodically. users notice this and see a detrimental performance of the system when it occurs.

We plan on adding an extra core to the servers to help deal with this. 

We also have an issue that the searchindexer.exe process continues to grow during the course of the day taking up the memory. Unless the server is rebooted it just continues to grow, so have now set the server to reboot at 4am every day to help combat this. With this in mind I am proposing we remove the Windows Search service feature. 

What is the recommended approach, the main reason I believe it is installed is so they can quickly find e-mails in Outlook. but i'm not sure if this is feasible for a terminal server environment. 

If I remove it will I then get users calling in saying they cannot search fro e-mail.

Anyone come across this scenario?

Kev

Jack Tu Citrix Employees

Jack Tu
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

The Windows Index Service or Search Service is not recommended to be enabled on Windows Terminal Servers, you could find this suggestion on all the best practice and optimization guide.

As it will affect the Server Performance, especially will generate large files on the terminal server.

But if you disable it, the outlook's instant search won't work.

Probably you could try the Search Service tuning steps here. It can mitigate the impact to the RDS when enabled the Windows Indexing Service or Search Service.

Feel free to let me know if any query!

Regards

Jack Tu :)

Helpful Answer

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,610 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

FSLogix can roam the search database - https://docs.fslogix.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=5931274#content/view/5931274

If there's CPU contention, I wonder if Citrix Workspace Environment Management can de-prioritize the threads.
Helpful Answer

KevHal Members

Kevin Halstead
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for your input guys, i'll check them out.

Kev

Chris Burke Citrix Employees

Chris Burke
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

Which version of Outlook and Exchange?

In Outlook 2016 the instant search behavior has changed. When you are using an Exchange account in Outlook (either hosted on premises or on Office 365), by default searches will be performed against the Exchange Server search index instead of the local Windows Search Index.

Outlook may prompt a message saying that searches will be slower without the Windows Search Service running, but searches should still work.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/11/19/outlook-2016-what-exchange-admins-need-to-know/