Photo

Brand new XenApp 7.13 installation needs legacy graphics mode to open published resources from thin client

Started by Gwyn Williams , 03 April 2017 - 02:01 PM
4 replies to this topic

Gwyn Williams Members

Gwyn Williams
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Today I have a built a new farm in a brand new domain that has never had any kind of Citrix farm before.  I built two servers that are both DDC and StoreFront, installing XenApp 7.13.  Both appear to be talking well to each other.  All servers and clients are on the same network.

After setting up those two I slapped VDA on a fresh test server, and published a Desktop and calc.exe from this one in Studio.  Now when I take a Windows client, go to the StoreFront site with IE, log in, and then launch the app, it logs in fine to the published desktop and calc.exe.

However when I do the same test on a thin client device (HP ThinPro T5565 - pointing towards http://{FQDN}/Citrix/Store/PNAgent/config.xml) I just get a blank empty grey screen.  The session looks OK in Citrix Director, but I can't do anything with it from the thin client.

As a test, I enabled Legacy Graphics Mode in the Citrix Policies, and then it worked.  But, I don't want to settle with this as my solution until I've done more research, because I'm worried that by doing this I'll be missing out on the latest advancements to the HDX technology.

Can anyone advise what the Legacy Graphics mode does exactly, and if enabling it will mean I'm missing out on something?  I need the thin clients to be as graphics-rich as possible.

Also, I have another domain that I look after, and have a separate (slightly older) XenApp environment in that domain - and the same thin clients can connect no problem to the published desktop on there - without enabling Legacy Graphics Mode.  The main differences being that in this other domain, the StoreFronts are 3.8.0.44 (3.9.0.56 in the new domain) and the VDA of the older environment is 7.8.0.232 (and 7.13.0.84 in the new domain).  Would this make a difference here?

Thanks,
Gwyn.

Gwyn Williams Members

Gwyn Williams
  • 408 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Anyone have any info on the above?  Today, on the slightly older XenApp environment mentioned above, I've upgraded the VDA to 7.13, and I'm getting exactly the same thing - connections from the HP thin clients give a blank grey screen, user cannot do anything, but then when I enable Legacy Graphics Mode I can log in fine.

So it's definitely a XenApp 7.13 thing, rather than being related to the version of StoreFront.

As mentioned above, I don't want to settle on this as a solution without finding out what legacy graphics mode does, because I don't want for my users to have an inferior graphics expenrience.  If there anything else I can set somewhere to prevent me having to set legacy graphics mode?

Thanks.

Jan Krajcik Members

Jan Krajcik
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Hi Gwyn,

Are you running latest firmware on your thin clients? We have different brand devices, and they wouldn't work with latest XenApp without firmware upgrade.

Regards,

Jan

Gwyn Williams Members

Gwyn Williams
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hi, yes the firmware is their latest one, but it's from Nov 2013!  It's a discontinued model.  Having said that, they have released newer versions of Receiver to be installed on this firmware, which I have installed, but it's made no difference.  The version of Receiver on here is now 13.0.0.256735-1.

Jan Krajcik Members

Jan Krajcik
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

We're using Dell/Wyse and 10Zig thin clients, the lowest version of receiver on them is 13.3.0.344519.

It looks like the legacy graphics mode is what you'll have to stick with if it works.

These Citrix articles explain difference between different graphics modes: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201812

and https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX202687

Hope it helps.