Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Black square around cursor with GRID

Eric Rottier

Question

Hi all,

We have a problem with a black square around a cursor in graphical applications like SketchUp and Photoshop. <See attachment>

All I can find is that the issue was known before VDA 7.6, and fixed in 7.6. But it seems it's back...

(source 1, source 2 and more I cannot find atm.)

The environment:

• XenServer 7.1 (7.0 has the same error) with Nvidia GRID K2 (K240Q, 1GB profile)
  • Newest NVidia drivers on the XenServer and XenDesktop.
  • XenDesktop:
    • DDC: 7.13
    • VDA: 7.13, HDX 3DPro + NVENC (hardware acc - on)
    • Fresh installed Windows 10, 1607.1, fully patched

The problem only occurs on Receiver for Linux (13.4.2) machines. We have around 90% HP ThinPro T630's. Receiver 13.5 also does not fixes it.

A interesting detail is the HDX monitor. The Graphics - Thinwire states: Component_Capabilities_Cursor32BitsSupport: False.

On Receiver for Windows machines, where the cursor behaves normally, this is set to True.

I do not know how to influence this.

Options I tried:

• Receiver for Windows does not have this problem
  • Two different freshly installed XenServer machines produce the same result
  • Session resized
  • Session reconnection (also to a Windows client, which is good, then back to Linux and it's bad again)
  • Cursorshadow off (was already off, tried turning it on to no avail ofc)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\HDX3D
    • HKLM_CatiaV6Cursor (should not work after XD 5.6 anyway)
    • EnableUnknownCursorHandling set to 1
  • Set DisableXRender=1 in wfica.ini in the Linux client
  • Changed mouse pointer schema in client and XenDesktop
  • More I already forgot

The reason we have the latest version of everything is because the issues we had before. The most annoying was the constant session (client) freezing while the session worked fine in the background. So it's unfortunately not really an option to go back.

I personally think the ¨Cursor32BitsSupport¨ set to false is the thing I'd like set to true, but I cannot find any option to toggle it anywhere.

I hope anyone has more bright idea's :)

Thanks!

post-7964809-0-05550300-1490281945_thumb.jpg

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have a case opened with Citrix and very recently got the reply that it's kinda a known issue with them, and they are investigating. No solution or hotfix yet.

It seems a thing between the VDA 7.13 and the Receiver for Linux. They think that the issue lies within the VDA.

As far as I read from my communications with them, I'm the second registered case with this issue and it's promoted to engineering.

I would encourage all with this issue ánd a valid maintenance contract, to open a case with them and refer to my case nr: SR#72449628. This way more logs can be send to Citrix and the faster this process goes - hopefully.

Rakesh, we submitted the "Enhancement Request Form" to the Receiver Team as instructed by support but have not heard back. We have discovered that this is happening using some tools in Autodesk Revit which is very critical to our business.

What i am not understanding is why is this issue occurring only after we upgrade from 7.9 to 7.13. If we downgrade back to 7.9 the problem goes away even with the latest Linux Receiver. Since the downgrading the VDA fixes the issue, why is this a receiver problem? And why do i need to request an "Enhancement"?

They wanted to ship this issue off to a 'product enhancement'. This is absolutely not the case!

I've shown them that the 7.8 VDA and 7.13 VDA have a difference. In the 7.8 the black square is NOT shown and everything works fine in the Receiver for Linux.

Please do not be fooled or shipped off with that this is currently not in the Receiver or VDA because it should be in. It is not a missing feature. They broke it and should fix it! I've proven this and they know it.

Please keep all tickets open! And if possible ask Citrix themselves to login in both versions of you VDA environment.

Official development!  B)

I've got a reaction in my ticket.

Selectively quoted and paraphrasing: "Due to an feature enhancement in VDA 7.11 for cursor rendering, 32-bit support is required for color cursor with transparent background. This can only be 'fixed' with an enhancement in the Receiver for Linux and/or Mac."

Of course this is not really an enhancement, but rather a fix, if they broke it themselves.  ;)

After updating the vda to 7.14 in a test environment, it appears to have resolved the issue for us. Updated my case with Citrix and will see what they say...

**Update**

It is unfortunately not working on 7.14 and it looks like we'll have to wait for the feature request to go through :(

Unfortunately VDA 7.14 gives no joy.

The problems stays within the Receiver for Linux. (and MAC I was told)

Citrix has finally closed my call (while I was a week off grrr) with the statement that 'we do not have such design for the Alpha cursor on Linux Receiver'. So while the VDA had an enhancement that 'pushes' transparency with the cursor, they did not think it wise to add it in the Receiver for linux. (talk about a very bad functioning QA!)

Because they did add a 'feature' on the VDA side, they do not consider the Receiver side (different dev team) and therefore do not classify this as a bug. There is an Enhancement Request (ID: RFE ID-002984) that they could implement if they find it important enough. And of course, since this is not a bug by Citrix standards, it could very well take a while.....

Nope.  :(  For months now.

Workaround: Replace all workstations with Windows- or MAC-based ones. They should/do work.

Citrix refuses to acknowledge that this is a bug that they created.

Instead they classified this as a 'new feature' and threw it at the bottom of the pile.

Best thing to do is to open up a case with them because this still is a bug in my opinion.

The thing is, Citrix just does not seem to know how Linux clients work or does not have the programmers that understand Linux systems. You will probably be better of using RDP :ph34r: or Windows-based clients with Citrix.

I don't think it's related to AMD CPU. We run about 50 HP t630 thin clients.

Also made a VM with Debian 8, installed the newest Citrix Receiver for Linux 13.6 and VDA 7.15

Next was a Chromium live usb on a laptop, no luck.

Since there is a parameter on the Linux Thin Client ¨Cursor32BitsSupport¨ which is set to False.

The VDA should 'listen' to that and NOT send the cursor 32 bits, but 24 bits as it did before.

Setting it to True doesn't really change the capabilities of the ThincClient (receiver).

So I do think it's considered a bug in VDA. "Not considering the 'Cursor32BitsSupport' setting"

This is so disturbing daily work that my colleagues are asking "Please NO Citrix for me!"

post-12560127-0-28744700-1504951946_thumb.jpg

post-12560127-0-70021400-1504951954_thumb.jpg

post-12560127-0-76235400-1504951969_thumb.jpg

I want to add it's the Workstation OS VDA 7.15, running on Windows 10 Enterprise 10 N 2016 LTSB, that's showing this black square.

The Server OS VDA 7.15, running on Windows Server 2016, does NOT show the black box.

Also attached two screenshots of the Citrix HDX Monitor 3.5.2 which show the Cursor32BitsSupport parameter on a Windows client and a Linux client.

post-12560127-0-45729700-1505304998_thumb.png

post-12560127-0-06817000-1505305008_thumb.png

Mark

Was told a little over a month ago by a Citrix rep that support for 32bit cursors would be 100% included in the 13.7 release of the linux receiver. Just tested it out and it still doesn't work and there is no mention of it in the release notes. It is already supported on the windows and mac receiver, I really don't understand why they are shunning the linux one. This is a huge issue for anyone using HDX3DPro since most users that utilize this most likely are using programs like Revit, Sketchup, and Adobe products. I don't get how they would change XenDesktop/XenApp to support 32bit cursors but then not make sure all of the receivers support it as well. Guess i'll re-open that ticket but since they consider this a feature request and not a bug/issue don't know what it will really do... 

Unfortunately, I need to confirm that version 13.7 does not solve the problem.

Calling 32 bits cursor  support a new feature and not a bug, okay with me.

But not having an 'escape / fall back' 24 bits cursor for devices that report Cursor32BitsSupport=FALSE.

I would call that a bug in the feature.

We're now testing moving away from XenDesktop.