DR Design

Started by Samer Mustafa , 20 March 2017 - 11:39 AM
3 replies to this topic

Samer Mustafa Members

Samer Mustafa
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Dears,

i have a Citrix 7.8 environment implemented, and i am using Hyper-v as a virtualization platform.

i want to build a DR site, what is the best option to to build a DR for Citrix environment.

i am thinking of doing one of the following VM Replication, or build new site, or extend the main site into the DR. 

i would appreciate if any one can advise.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

DR can be a complex topic. Do you have a local Citrix Partner that can help you with the design?

I'm not a fan of stretching Citrix components across datacenters unless it's a metro cluster. Otherwise, I prefer separate isolated environments in each datacenter.

Samer Mustafa Members

Samer Mustafa
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

the client is looking for automated failover, this is the first thing, in addition how we are going to failover client VMs for VDI? plus citrix Users Profiles? moreover what about the SQL.

what i am thinking is to build a new citrix farm at DR with the same settings and point to the same licensing server. for users profiles i will configure DFS name space and reconfigure the polices based on the new name and then export citrix polices from the main site farm and import it to the DR.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

For non-persistent VDAs, simply build the pools in both locations. Persistent VDAs are more difficult.

There's no easy way to export/import Citrix Policies to a different farm. You should be doing Citrix Policies in a GPO instead.

Profile file server failover should always be a manual process to avoid any possibility of multi-master replication.