Small pool R230 with QNAP NFS

Started by Mike Maddison , 17 March 2017 - 06:11 PM
8 replies to this topic

Mike Maddison Members

Mike Maddison
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Greetings,

I'm setting up a small pool for about 40 small VMs to run on a set of 3 Dell servers.  These are pretty lightweight VMs for web servers and they're not mission critical.  We already have some Qnap storage servers that we'll be splitting the storage loads onto.  I was hoping to get some tips.  The layout is pretty basic I think, just three R230 Servers with 4 NICs bonded going into a Dell switch and then into the 2 QNAP servers.  I'm thinking of using NFS for the storage network.

3 x Dell 230 PowerEdge Servers
Intel® Xeon® E3-1220 v5
64GB RAM
2 on board GBe NIC
4 additional GBe NIC (Intel 350)
1 TB HDD (For OS - cheapest option)
4 x GBe NICs Bonded for storage network
1 GBe NIC dedicated to management network
1 GBe NIC dedicated to public Internet

Dell X1052 Switch

NAS 1
Qnap TS-1635
12 x 1TB WD HDD
4 x SSD 850 EVO
2 Port 1GBe Network Card add-on (4 total)

NAS 2
Qnap TS-453A
4x2TB WD2005FBYZ

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Keeping with NFS is what I would do, no reason to overly complicate with iSCSI, especially with a single switch. For your nics I would do bonding two nics for storage/management/public internet (I assume this is what we typically call VM traffic).  

--Alan--

Mike Maddison Members

Mike Maddison
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hello Alan,

For bonding do you mean each usage is bonded separately like:
2 Bonded for Management

2 Bonded for Public
2 Bonded for Storage

Or do you mean use one bonded pair for all of the above combined?

I care more about the storage performance than either management or public.  I'm hoping to 100MB/s out of the storage.  The overall disk usage is not a lot but I'd like it to be reasonably fast.

Currently I only dedicated one NIC to management and one to Public and it's been quite reliable and the performance is great so I'm happy to continue that.  Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks for the confirmation on NFS.  

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

Separate bonds for each of the three, if you have 6 NICs. The goal is to isolate the network traffic as much as possible into each one of these distinct areas.

-=Tobias

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

Yes, 3 separate bonds, sorry I lacked clarity on that. The bonds for storage and management are more for availability than for throughput. A second switch for switch redundancy would also be desirable.

--Alan--

Mike Maddison Members

Mike Maddison
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

Great, thanks for the clarity.  I think I'll use a separate switch for storage. I'm feeling confident about this configuration.  Hopefully the performance of the equipment will be reasonable.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Qnap and Synology make pretty nice drive configurations, especially the smaller ones that are often more than enough and way less costly than something with 8 or 12 or more drive bays.

-=Tobias

Mike Maddison Members

Mike Maddison
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

That's great to hear.  I've had good luck with most Qnap devices over the years mostly as backup/repositories.  
I spoke to Dell today and apparently I can have as many as 18 network ports in an R230.  I've added another pair to each machine so I can pair up all of the adapters as suggested and still have 4 for storage.

2 Bonded for Management

2 Bonded for Public
4 Bonded for Storage

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:08 AM

Mike,

That sounds like a reasonable network configuration!

-=Tobias

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, R230, QNAP, NFS