Xendesktop 7.6 with Vcenter 6.5/6.0

Started by Rabih Mansour , 15 February 2017 - 03:04 PM
9 replies to this topic

Rabih Mansour Members

Rabih Mansour
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

hi,

is Xendesktop 7.6 supported with vcenter 6.5 ? or vcenter 6.0 ?

another question:

i have license server 7.6 with 200 users (cannot be upgraded - not renewed)

i need to add 300 more users but the new license is 7.12 

can i put 2 versions of licenses on one license server ?

example:

license server 7.6 : with license files 7.6 and 7.12

license server 7.12 : with license files 7.6 and 7.12

which is applicable ?

Martin Rowan Citrix Employees

Martin Rowan
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

For supported hypervisors please see: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX131239. Sorry I don't know the answer to your licensing; I'd suspect you can't duplicate the licenses over multiple servers; but I could be wrong.

Thanks Martin

Pavan nannapaneni Members

Pavan nannapaneni
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Citrix License server is a component of Citrix XenDesktop / XenApp product suite. Considering Citrix recommendations you should always upgrade use the latest License server component as its a requirement for new product version to enable all features.

There is nothing like 7.6 or 7.12 license server, License server has its own version and can be downloaded from Citrix website. the latest version is 11.14.0.1 Build 18001

with the latest versions of license server you can use the new and legacy license file. License server is backward compatible to work with legacy products. so ideally upgrade your license server to the latest version and stick your 7.12,7.6 licenses into myfiles directory and restart the licensing service. if you've built a new license server, make sure you update this in studio with the new license server name under licensing.

Mahmoud Salem Members

Mahmoud Salem
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

thank you pavan

but lets say i have the latest xen license server version and i have two xendesktops servers 7.6 and 7.9

can i put 2 different version of license files on the same license server ?

in my case : ill have on my license server 2 licenses with version 7.6 and 7.9

is this applicable ?

Rabih Mansour Members

Rabih Mansour
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

HI

i my environment i have citrix xendesktop 7.6 with a license for 400 user , but we dont have support with citrix

now company need to buy new license 500 user , as i know the new license will be for teh latest version ,

can i use it on the same license server (the old one)?

can i use it for the same version 7.6 without making upgrade since the old 400 i dont have support on it from citrix and i cannot make the upgrade  on it

br

Pavan nannapaneni Members

Pavan nannapaneni
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

thank you pavan

but lets say i have the latest xen license server version and i have two xendesktops servers 7.6 and 7.9

can i put 2 different version of license files on the same license server ?

in my case : ill have on my license server 2 licenses with version 7.6 and 7.9

is this applicable ?

yes, install latest version of license server as per my previous reply and put the 2 licenses on the same license server. within studio you can select which license you can apply. it'll display both licenses but choose 7.6 licenses for 7.6 environment and 7.9 licenses for 7.9 environment.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Licenses don't have versions. Instead, they have dates. The software you're running needs licenses with a certain date.

you can install multiple licenses on a single license server. If the licenses are for the same product and identical dates, then they will be combined. Otherwise, they'll show up as separate products.

Rabih Mansour Members

Rabih Mansour
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

thanks guys :)

Rabih Mansour Members

Rabih Mansour
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

but one more concern.

if license key doesn't have a version, why i cant upgrade my license version on citrix licensing portal.

i have xendesktop 7.6 (end of support) if i want to upgrade to 7.12 they told me you have to upgrade the license first.

now i have 7.6 xendesktop with 400 license . if i buy another 500 with this new license work with 7.6 xendesktop ?

please help

Martin Rowan Citrix Employees

Martin Rowan
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Rabih, licenses aren't versioned, but they do have an SA (Subscription Advantage) dates - see https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111618

This entitles you to product updates that are released up to the SA expiry date. If your have active SA you should be able to get a new licence with an update SA date from the portal. If however, your SA expired, you'd need to renew SA in order to get rights to use licenses with product versions released after SA expired.

As you say you could also purchase 500 new licenses, these will have a newer SA date and work with all versions prior to the new SA expiry date.

Does that make sense? Thanks Maritn