Photo

PVS Target Device 7.12 Issue

Started by Ben Solinski , 20 January 2017 - 09:34 PM
14 replies to this topic

Ben Solinski Members

Ben Solinski
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

I have upgraded our PVS environment from version 7.9 to 7.12. The issue I am seeing is that from the PVS 7.12 console I am no longer able to restart servers that are running the new 7.12 target device software. I am however able to restart servers that are still running the 7.9 target device software. In fact I restarted a server (running 7.9 target device) from the PVS 7.12 console successfully, but when I try to restart that same server again now running the 7.12 target device software, that target device never restarts even the status message in the restart devices window says "Success". Does anyone have any ideas why this would be the case or if there is something I need to look at?

One thing I may I have done differently than maybe I should have for the upgrade is that on each of our PVS servers we were upgrading I upgraded the PVS server software from 7.9 to 7.12 before upgrading the PVS console software. I then upgraded the target device software on the vDisks,

UPDATE - In doing some more testing, I noticed that when I am on the console of the target device after sending a shutdown or restart command for example, my cursor on the desktop keeps going from a normal cursor arrow to a cursor arrow with an hour glass repeatedly every second. If I use the PVS console to then send a message to that target device, that goes through right away and the message immediately shows up on the target device and it then performs the restart or shutdown command that I tried right before I sent the target device the message. This even happens if I wait several minutes before sending the target device a message after sending it a restart or shutdown command from the PVS console. I have had the same results every time when trying this.

Edited by Ben Solinski, 20 January 2017 - 10:16 PM.

Ben Solinski Members

Ben Solinski
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

I have just uncovered some more details about what is going on. When looking in the System event log I am seeing the same two event repeatedly showing up. I did remove the actual name of the computer from the event.

**First event I see repeatedly constantly is:** 
Source: User32 
EventID: 1074 
Level: Information 
Description: The process C:\Program Files\Citrix\Provisioning Services\BNDevice.exe (<computername removed>) has initiated the restart of computer <computer name removed> on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found 
Reason Code: 0x80050000 
Shutdown Type: restart 
Comment: The target device is being rebooted remotely by the Console. 

**Second event I see repeatedly is:** 
Source: User32 
EventID: 1075 
Level: Warning 
Description: The last restart/shutdown request of computer <computer name removed> was aborted by user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Gerwin Goodschalk Members

Gerwin Goodschalk
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

We have the same problem with a fresh installation of 7.12. 

The old enviroment with 7.9 is also working here.

Ben Solinski Members

Ben Solinski
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have a case opened with Citrix and I will post back here with what I am able to find out.

Ben Solinski Members

Ben Solinski
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

What I am experiencing is a known issue to Citrix and has been validated in their lab environment. The bug ID assigned to this issue is LC6814 and can be referenced if you decide to call in to support. Citrix is escalating my case to hopefully provide me with the fix for the issue. The workaround they have shown me until a fix has been provided is when you have a target device to restart, choose to restart the device, but in the "Restart Devices" window that is displayed, change the "Delay seconds" from 10 to 0 and the device should perform the requested action.

L. T. Zwanenburg Members

L. T. Zwanenburg
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

We have the same problem.

fix is working (Delay to 0 sec)

When using previous version target device software (7.6) the reboot is working as well.

Carl Fallis Citrix Employees

Carl Fallis
  • 971 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

This is a regression that occurred in PVS 7.12, as stated the workaround is to set the restart/shutdown timeout to 0.  A fix will be in the next release.

Carl

Sacha Thomet Members

Sacha Thomet
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I have the same behaviour with 7.6.4 ! restart/shutdown timeout to 0 is a viable workaround.

Sacha Thomet CTP Member

Sacha Thomet
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I have the same behaviour with 7.6.4 ! restart/shutdown timeout to 0 is a viable workaround.

Gertjan Jongeneel Members

Gertjan Jongeneel
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

This issue has occurred in several PVS 7.12 customer environments (upgrade and clean install) until now. Workaround does the trick, but a regression is always very sloppy! 

Carl Fallis
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

This issues can also be found in 7.6.4 and will be fixed in the next release of 7.6

Byron Borror Members

Byron Borror
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Carl/other Citrix Employees,

Do we have a timeframe for a KC hotfix or release?

While the workaround is easy for me and my sysadmin staff, I have operators that will have a problem with this workaround.

Carl Fallis
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

PVS, like XenDesktop is on a quarterly release cycle.

Bernd B├Ądermann Members

Bernd B├Ądermann
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Same Issue here, Workaround works!

Chris De Jongh Members

Chris De Jongh
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

having the same issue on 7.12 PVS.

i also cannot restart the service of the PVS server in the console, nor sending message to the PVS target device. They all fail.

Also, enabling logging into event log does not populate events it seems.

Any idea?

Have a nice weekend.

Chris