Dual PVS Servers

Started by Brian Mooney , 16 January 2017 - 09:27 PM
11 replies to this topic

Brian Mooney Members

Brian Mooney
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Hi,

I recently I asked on a forum how to have HA with PVS and a single DHCP scope. Now that many have helped to answer that topic, I need help understanding the next step. 

PVS Server 1: 

Currently running production PVS VM's off a single vDisk. vDisk and Write Cache folders are on E:\. TFTP running with DHCP scope options. This literally is my production now and all

PVS Server 2:

I just installed PVS on the server. Did not enable TFTP. Have not started the services yet. E:\ is same size as PVS server 1.

How do I get the vDisk from PVS 1 over to PVS 2 and then have it replicate. I would think the following and correct me if I am wrong. 

1. Disable production steaming so there is no active usage or locks on the vDisk 

2. Literally copy the contents of E:\vDisk\ to the same folder on Server 2. 

3. Or... do I need to use a export import function? 

4. Under the vDisk Replication Status window where I see PVS server 1 and the vDisks, will the 2nd server how up automatically and then disks synchronized?

All of the advice given is much appreciated! 

Thanks.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

You can copy the vDisk files even when it's being used. It's a manual copy.

However, you will need to right-click the vDisk (in the console), click Load Balancing, and enable Load Balancing.

Make sure your PvS server bootstraps contain both servers. This is required for failover.

Are you able to specify both PvS servers in DHCP option 66?

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

I used as scheduled task to run robocopy to keep my datastores on the two PVS servers synchronized. Don't copy the lock files, everything else should be okay to duplicate.

--Alan--

Brian Mooney Members

Brian Mooney
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Thank you Carl and Aaln for your replies. So I have copied the entire contents of the vdisk folder over to PVS server 2 except for the .lok files per Alan. 

Now the services are off on PVS 2. So if I enable the services is there any risk to vdisk on PVS server 1? Again trying to minimize a risk here. So enable the services, and then I assume the 2nd server will appear (see screen shot).

I checked the load balancing and it is currently set to

I like the idea of an hourly or daily robocopy to keep the vdisk synchronized. 

Just looking for the final steps to get this up. 

Attached Thumbnails

• PVS .JPG
  • pvs servers.JPG

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

I can't think of anything negative to PVS Server 1. As long as PVS Server 2 is working correctly once the services are started you should be able to load balance across both of them.

--Alan--

Brian Mooney Members

Brian Mooney
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

Alan,

So I have done the copy and now the services are started on PVS server 2. I see the 2nd server with a green check mark next to it. Now when I check on the replication status though I don't see the 2nd server. See screen shot. Do I need to import it on server 2? Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• replication.JPG

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

If the vdisk is assigned to a server under load balancing , you will only see one listed under replication. load balancing needs changed to "use the load balancing algorithm" before both show up under replication. At least that's my guess at what you are seeing.

--Alan--

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 11,114 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Also, edit your Store. There's a servers tab. Make sure both servers are checked.

Brian Mooney Members

Brian Mooney
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

Here is where I am. Again may I say thank you both Carl and Alan for your helpful replies. 

Under the servers tab on my PVS server 1 and 2 I have both servers checked and visible. See attached. Both servers are checked when I right click on the Store and then click on the servers tab.

However, on PVS server 2 when I look @ the vDisk, click on vDisk, rIght click on the vDisk, click on Replication I see the disks are synchronized i.e. 2 blue dots with a green check mark. See attached. 

But on PVS Server 1, I only see the 1 server in here. See attached. Is this normal? 

I have decided to go with DNS round robin for now. I don't have NS available yet. I have the same services enabled on both PVS servers (see attached). 

For my round robin I set DHCP option 66 set to x.corp.company.com and created 2 DNS A records for x.corp.company.com each of which has the same IP of PVS 1 and PVS 2. 

I noticed that RR DNS is working i.e. NSlookup shows results for both. Wondering know how to force the vDisk to boot off of PVS 2 to test. I have a VM i.e VM 1 that is turned off and can test with. That VM uses the vDisk in maintenance right now. Also I have all of my production running on PVS 1 so I have to be careful with changes :) 

I was thinking that under the load balancing option I can set to PVS 2 for example but would that disconnect the existing disks?

Attached Thumbnails

• pvsstore1.JPG
  • pvs 2.JPG
  • pvs 3.JPG
  • pvs services.JPG

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

You should see both servers on server 1 as well, maybe restart the streaming service to get it to refresh. 

--Alan--

Brian Mooney Members

Brian Mooney
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Alan. Last question. If I have PVS targets  streaming off of PVS Server 1, if I restart the service will the PVS targets running off of PVS 1 server be impacted or no impact? 

I think I have everything up an running at this point. I have DNS RR up and running, and now PVS targets are all booted off of PVS servers 1 and 2. 

The only item to address is from what I saw in one of Carl's answers regarding HA that "the write cache is stored on Target Device disk or Target Device memory. If you are storing write cache on the Provisioning Server then it will not failover automatically. 

Right now the setting I have is "Cache on Device Hard Drive" 

Thank you Carl as well for answering so quickly. 

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

A restart of the stream service should happen quickly enough the targets don't notice. If the service takes to long to restart or doesn't start at all, the targets will get a notification to failover to server 2. 

--Alan--