Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a pool with 2 separate servers

xen01

xen02

I created 1 bond with 3 nics (CORPNET, VLAN52) and left one nic for Management (VLAN10)

When I start VMs on xen01 and assign CORPNET as the Nic, it will pick up DHCP and statically assigned ips work.

When I start VMs on xen02 and assign CORPNETas the Nic, it won't pick up DHCP and statically assigned ips won't work.

Any ideas on where to look? I looked on the switch configuration and everything is tagged correctly.

Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

i have ran the route -n command on both servers and they both show what is attached. 

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

What happens when you swap the cables that connect to the CORPNET nic? If the problem stays the same its a host issue, if DHCP reverses then its a network issue.

--Alan--

Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

I will give it a try tonight.

Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

ok, so I didn't get the ok to swap the cables however, I am able to route everywhere via management interface. the DHCP scope was deactivated, when I activated that, it worked. Any idea why the CORPNET still doesn't work? 

Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

ok, so now both hosts are behaving the same. we just had a power outage and when they both came back up, only the management interface can route.

Jiri Cerny Members

Jiri Cerny
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hello Steven,

back to your network setup.

You wrote, that you created 3 NIC bond and you named it CORPNET. Also you made external network over bond CORPNET, named VLAN52 and assigned VLAN ID 52. Is this correct?

Is that bond based Linux bridge (active-active/active-pasive or LACP?
If bridge, then you have all 2*3 ports on switch in hybrid mode (trunk in Cisco terminology, Dual in Brocade), so they have default VLAN for untagged traffic (your driven DHCP network) and tagged VLAN52?
If LACP, did you set up both port-channel interfaces same way as I wrote higher (trunk, tagged and untagged VLANs)?

So if you connect notebook to any of that six ports, wil you get IP from DHCP?

Jiri