Photo

Blue screen after export/import

Started by Daniel Wheeler , 25 October 2016 - 02:42 PM
4 replies to this topic

Daniel Wheeler Members

Daniel Wheeler
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

My company recently got new hardware for our XenServer environment. Our old hardware was running XenServer 6.2, and I tried to move a Windows 2012r2 server from there to the new hardware running 7.0 using an export and then an import. It took quite a while, almost 3 hours for the 50 gig image, but it finished. Unfortunately when I start the image, it blue screens. It will come up in safe mode, but nothing I've tried so far helps.

Some details:

• The blue screen says "Inaccessible_boot_device"
  • I've tried xe vm-param-set to get the device_id first to 001, then to blank, but no dice
  • I've tried removing hidden hardware from device manager in safe mode

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Jiri Cerny Members

Jiri Cerny
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hello Daniel,

this thread should help you.

My personal suggestion is to try uninstall XenServer Tools from safe mode. Because the BSOD is "classic" problem with storage driver. And in safe mode Windows uses some standard driver from Misrosoft.

Also, if you have an original HW/VM, you can try make a copy/snapshot of VM, uninstall XS tools 6.2 from it and then export/import this "toolless" VM to XS 7.0. If it'll boot in standard mode, then spapshot it and after that install XenServer Tools 7.0.

You problem is definitely caused by Tools, so I recommend start here.

Good luck

Jiri

Helpful Answer

Daniel Wheeler Members

Daniel Wheeler
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

Jiri,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately uninstalling the tools isn't an option in safe mode, but I kept the old image, so I'm going to uninstall there and then re export/import. Is there anything besides the tools to uninstall, or JUST the tools? In addition to the tools, we have:

Xen Windows x64 PV drivers

XenServer VSS Provider

XenServer Windows Guest Agent

Thanks

Jiri Cerny Members

Jiri Cerny
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

Hello,

I guess that tools uninstaller will remove all, but the the most important for your case is/are "Xen Windows x64 PV drivers".
However, once if you're going to uninstall, uninstall them all. It can't be worse anyway;)

Jiri

Ryan Barrick Members

Ryan Barrick
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

I had blue screens when exporting and importing from 5.6 to 6.2. The command I ran was a little different then the one you posted:

xe vm-param-set uuid=uuid# platform:device_id=0001

Might be worth a try.