Photo

New XenServer 7.X Pre-Release Available for Download

Started by Tobias Kreidl , 12 October 2016 - 06:52 AM
54 replies to this topic

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

A new XenServer 7.X pre-release (Ely) is now available for download at: http://xenserver.org/discuss-virtualization/virtualization-blog/entry/pre-release-of-upcoming-version-of-xenserver-now-available-for-download.html

For details, follow the link given above.

-=Tobias

Jiri Cerny Members

Jiri Cerny
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

Looks great. I'll install on lab servers and test it. Import/export speedup is very promising. 

But...no word about thin provissioning support on block devices, which makes me sad. I hoped, that it will come back (after dropped during development of 7.0) inside future release of 7.X. Tobias, you are quite well informed about XenServer I think, do you know about progress with this feature? Thanks;)

Jiri 

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Jiri,

As far as I know, no further developments have been discussed regarding block-based thin provisioning. It's been very quiet for some time now. I personally think that the usage of LVM should be revisited. ZFS would be a much more robust, contemporary and flexible underlying means to support storage.

-=Tobias

Niklas Åhden Members

Niklas Åhden
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

Wow this is great news!

Live-patching and improved export/import-speed will really be appreciated, FINALLY! :-)
//Niklas

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

I do plan to still work further on helping to improve vm-export/vm-import speeds. This can and must still get better! :-) This is indeed a good start, but not anywhere close to what should and can be accomplished.

-=Tobias

Niklas Åhden Members

Niklas Åhden
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Indeed Tobias, but this is absolutely a step in the correction direction. I am really happy that Citrix has listened to the community and I am one of those who have complainted about this :-)

This might shorten our snapshot-exports by 50% if true and that is a huge gain.

//Niklas

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

I downloaded it but still couldn't get the ftp rolling upgrade to work. Nothing at work went right today, so it doesn't surprise me that I didn't get my test box upgraded either. Look forward to increased transfer speeds.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:08 AM

We've had perpetual issues with anything but local CD/DVD-ROM installations. I fully realize that for many, this is impractical or impossible, but it's never been clear why it's been so evidently unreliable for so long.

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

I upgraded with DVD and so far so good. The only snafu was self induced and that was installing the XenTools and my test system has the tool auto update configured so it downgraded after I upgraded. I disabled that and installed the new XenTools again. 

7.0.90 (build 129885c) Seems to boot/run faster that 7.0 (build 125380c). Very happy it upgraded smoothly other than the ftp rolling pool upgrade not working.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

While Windows Updates should kick in on its own, you still need to run the guest agent manually to start the process going.

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Yes, I had to install the management agent manually, but since I had the pool setup to auto update the management agent from an internal web server, as soon as I updated the agent and restarted, the agent then downgraded to the web server version. I had to turn off the auto updating of management agents on the pool. Nothing to do with Windows Updates, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification and the caveat -- good to know this is what happens under those circumstances! Seems odd with auto-updating enabled that an agent update would have such an effect.

Niklas Åhden Members

Niklas Åhden
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

I've noticed that in many cases it is practically impossible to use the HTTP/FTP-upgrade option.

The last time I had that working was in 6.2 and trust me, i've tried before, both using DNS, IP and so on but nothing seems to work.

Sad to read that it still doesnt seem to be working :-0

//Niklas

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

@Niklas, yes, it's frequently timed out or not worked consistently for me in any way over the network, either, for years. :-( We've stuck to DVDs, which at least are consistently reliable as long as the media isn't flawed.

Raul Gonzalez Members

Raul Gonzalez
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up Tobias!

Compared to XenServer 7.0, I can now use PCI Passthrough once again with AMD FirePro S9050 cards without issues using the Tech Preview!  

It was determined to be a bug with QEMU accessing the frame buffer.  Not sure if they worked to get it fixed or the newer binaries in the Tech Preview didn't have the bug anymore.

I did run into a bug however.  When I reboot the host, the management interface breaks.  I have to set the management IP address again to kick start it up again with each reboot.  I reinitialized the RAID array to completely blank out the drives before install.

Jiri Cerny Members

Jiri Cerny
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hello guys,

I can confirm that RPU (NFS) from 7.0 to 7.0.90 interrupts with error: "There was a failure communicating with the plugin."

Today I'll try CD based upgrade.

But about RPU generally:

We succesfully upgraded XS from 6.0 to 6.1 and from 6.1 to 6.2 with RPU from NFS without any problem. Also after realase XS 7.0 I tested NFS RPU upgrading a few 6.2/5 lab environments to 7.0 with without problem (instead there was a bug with hotfixes RPU001 and RPU002). Main experience is that if you have brand new fully patched XS 6.2/5, you can do RPU to 7.0 without any problems. But who makes installation and upgrade clean old system if there is a new higher version available...:D

So I can't tell that RPU is absolutely useless, but it has some issues.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Folks,

Error reports should be submitted to https://bugs.xenserver.org/ so the developers get the feedback they need to be able to address issues.

Thanks,

-=Tobias

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

I can confirm that the VM export is smoking. Hitting 85MB on my 1Gig link. Nice. My 150GB vdi should export in 30 minutes or so.

On the 7.0 release I was hitting about 50MB which was still a huge improvement over XenServer 6.5.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,052 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

Nice to see a jump in the export speed. Alan. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce my earlier even faster times, so Citrix has now closed the ticket. I suspect the storage itself is a big part of the limitation, but don't have any SSD storage that I can use to test with on either the SR nor the export ends.

-=Tobias

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

I was exporting to a local workstation drive, not to a NAS device, but definitely happy with the speed test comparisons. 

--Alan--