Started by Sacha Thomet , 30 September 2016 - 05:29 AM
132 replies to this topic

Best Answer Sacha Thomet , 28 October 2016 - 05:30 AM

the Hotfix is working for me as well.

Hauke Schillemat Members

Hauke Schillemat
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Ok, the workaround seams not working again.

Usersessions are not seen in the director.

After Restart the monitoring service the sessions are visible in director again

Attached Thumbnails

• HSchillemat_2016.10.05_13h36m37s_001_.jpg
  • HSchillemat_2016.10.05_13h37m26s_002_.jpg
  • HSchillemat_2016.10.05_13h37m40s_003_.jpg
  • HSchillemat_2016.10.05_13h40m55s_004_.jpg
  • HSchillemat_2016.10.05_13h41m42s_005_.jpg

Sacha Thomet CTP Member

Sacha Thomet
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:51 AM

Hauke for me it works mostly, maybe you have a second DDC where you need to restart the Service?

mmcalpi410 Members

Michael McAlpine
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

I've found that restarting the monitoring service on all of my controllers (just to be safe), then if the issue still persists rebooting (my DDC's are also Director hosts) them one at a time resolves the issue.  

Has anyone noticed whether it's an issue that impacts a single director instance or if it impacts all director instances?

Hauke Schillemat Members

Hauke Schillemat
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

Yes i have got two.
I always restart the Service on both.
Have a Look at the Director, maybe it will work for Hours days or (Hope for you) stable

Andre Sicking Members

Andre Sicking
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:22 AM

Hello everbody,

as a quick test I created a test database on a server that already hosts a SQL Server Express 2012. As soon as I point Monitoring DB to this database I can see login data in Director again. Let's see how long this lasts now.

As a reminder, before this, I was using SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 Standard Edition. This worked flawless with XenDesktop 7.9 but broke with 7.11.

@Citrix: Is support team aware of this issue? Can we help to get this solved?

@All: Which DBMS version are you using for hosting your Monitoring DB?

Pete Liebermann Members

Pete Liebermann
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hi all

We had a similar issue with Xd7.9 where director would not show sessions on the dashboard and in trends after 7am and then would start displaying after 1pm... after looking into the database it seemed that the monitoring database was 3hours behind. After a lot of troubleshooting, including the temporary fix if restarting the monitoring services, we couldn't pin point what was causing the issue but after installing Windows updates on both our DDCs, director started behaving again...maybe a huge coincidence but problem has now disappeared for us.

Gertjan Jongeneel Members

Gertjan Jongeneel
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hi all,

We have had this problem earlier and it was resolved by using the information in KB article CTX208206. Unfortunately, this info is very hard to find. In our case, the database indeed contained null entries that needed to be removed. Please try this and give some feedback! 

Gertjan Jongeneel

David Pisa Members

David Pisa
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hi All,

the metric issue are not related to SPNs on DDC. I opened a case with Citrix support and the solution was to:

- run lodctr /R

- wmimgmt /verifyrepository (to verify the WMI repository health)

reboot

- check Perf errors in the application log (it is expected an error with a wmi library on startup, later it will be loaded correclty by the VDA)

- re-register upmWmiMetrics.ddl and upmWmiAdmin.dll

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework64\v4.0.30319\installutil.exe <path to>\upmWmiMetrics.dll

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework64\v4.0.30319\installutil.exe <path to>\upmWmiAdmin.dll

reboot

- verify the following services are running

- Citrix UPM

- User Profile

- Window MGMT Instrumentation

- WinRM

- WMI Performance Adapter

Additional notes

Check the tables on the Monitor DB (Catalog and DeliveryGroup) to double check the entries

If not present, you need to delete the Catalog and/or the Delivery Group, restart the monitor service (all DDC) and recreate

Later it should work

On Win10 LTSB I had to recreate the Gold Image from scratch. repair the upmVDAPlungin component doesn't solve (it is in charge of the monitor DB update). Reinstall, reboot, reinstall and register the DLLs neigher. Clean install did.

On Win2012r2, the above procedure worked. I had another customer on which installation the DDL registration is failing. I'll go for a VDA reinstallation. Please note the personalvdisk component is a bit tricky to clean uninstall

Hope this helps a bit

David

Sacha Thomet CTP Member

Sacha Thomet
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for your Input David. But this is not the same root cause, the from you described case I had also already and this was not the Problem on the side of the Director furthermore the VDA was no more able to send correct data. For this Case your instructions are well but in my case it's a director server issue.

mmcalpi410 Members

Michael McAlpine
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

I opened a similar issue up wiht Citrix today: 72107618

Marcus Vestlund Members

Marcus Vestlund
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

I also have a case - 72096405

David Pisa Members

David Pisa
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for your Input David. But this is not the same root cause, the from you described case I had also already and this was not the Problem on the side of the Director furthermore the VDA was no more able to send correct data. For this Case your instructions are well but in my case it's a director server issue.

If you run the following PS command, do you receive an error?

Get-MonitorConfiguration

I spotted this error in a different XD 7.11 upgraded installation. I tryed to reinstall the Monitor_Service_x64 component without luck.

Repair did do the job eighter.

I deplyed a new DDC (from a clean OS) and this worked. I'll check back in few days.

Strange thing, immediately after the upgrade the customer did not report any issue. It started complaining a week, 10 days after.

Sacha Thomet CTP Member

Sacha Thomet
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

About the Get-MonitorConfiguration  I've postet here: http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/381686-get-monitorconfiguration-is-no-more-working

It's a problem on the database, for this reason it works on fresh install.  But I'm not yet sure if the solution I have works. I will keep you informed. 

mmcalpi410 Members

Michael McAlpine
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:55 PM

Support confirmed that Get-MonitorConfiguration didn't work (what you said Sacha Thomet).  We tried re-installing the monitoring components from media but still no luck.

Sacha Thomet CTP Member

Sacha Thomet
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

Get-MonitorConfiguration is now solved for me! For me the workaround was to update the names  of following configuration properties

EnableDayLevelGranularityProcessUtilization
EnableHourLevelGranularityProcessUtilization
EnableMinLevelGranularityProcessUtilization

in the site database, these settings are stored in [Monitor].[Configuration]  table

(It was a typo inside which is now fixed in 7.11)

Update statement: 

update monitor.Configuration
set name = replace(name, 'Granulairty', 'Granularity')
-- select * from monitor.Configuration
where name like 'Enable%'

THIS POST IST WITHOUT ANY GUARANTEE ! 

Sacha Thomet CTP Member

Sacha Thomet
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

Even when Get-MonitorConfiguration is fixed, the Problem with the not updating dashboard is still here. The Granularity typo has nothing to do with that. 

Scott Cielewich Members

Scott Cielewich
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

We also are seeing this issue. We upgraded Director from 7.8 to 7.11, which resides on it's own servers and controls both our Development and Production farms. Production Delivery Controllers are still on 7.8. Development Delivery Controllers are on 7.11. 

At first we saw the issue only on the 7.11 Delivery Controllers, but we are now seeing it with the 7.8 Delivery Controllers also.

To me, it seems the issue is with Director.

We've contacted our TRM for assistance and am waiting to hear back. 

Anthony Zepeda Members

Anthony Zepeda
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

I have the same issue. We upgraded Director from 7.7 to 7.11. I have 2 servers Load Balanced on their own servers separate from the DDCs. The Delivery Controllers and VDAs are still on 7.7. Everything is slow to update. We have to restart the Delivery Controllers and Director servers to fix the issue temporarily. Only last about 24-36 hours before we start noticing issues again.

Hauke Schillemat Members

Hauke Schillemat
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

Is there any update for this problem. Hotfix?

mmcalpi410 Members

Michael McAlpine
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

I haven't seen anything yet concerning a hotfix.

Citrix support wants to try moving the DB to a new server.  I don't have rights, so I declined until tomorrow... hopefully I can find a DB admin.