Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Microsoft Office 365 Shared Computer Licensing process fails in Seamless App

Steven McGovern

Question

I have been following a couple of threads recently about Office 365 license activation, and the issue with storage of the license activation files. Eg http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/374073-xenapp-76-and-office-3650proplus-localappdatamicrosoftoffice150licensing/.

The issue I have seen is that the activation process does not work properly if the Office application is spawned from within a seamless application.

This works:-

• User 1 logs onto a published desktop hosted on XenAppServer1.
  • User 1 opens Excel
  • Activation completes without manual intervention and a license file is stored in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Licensing
  • The user never knows this has taken place.

This fails:-

• User 1 logs onto a seamless published application(not an office app) hosted on XenAppServer1.
  • The published app calls Excel to show exported data
  • Activation does not automatically complete without User1 manually entering email address and password.
  • Once this has been entered, licensing completes and a license file is stored in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Licensing
  • The end user has to enter his username and password every few days which is irritating.

Question - What I am trying to understand is why does the process work automatically if launched from a published desktop, but not when spawned from within a published app - from the same server. It is as if the process requires explorer.exe running to complete properly.

I will post back when I have got to the bottom of this but in the meantime has anyone else seen this?

3 answers to this question

Hi, this brings back memories!  In our case the issue with GPO proxy settings We’re not being loaded in published applications that were applied when a published desktop ran.  As we had no proxy settings loaded activation failed. To test, run Iexplore.exe from within the seamless session and you will notice proxy settings and trusted sites needed to achieve activation are not present. Hope this helps!