Photo

Office license error after upgrade to VDA 7.9

Started by Steven Blomme , 15 September 2016 - 11:46 AM
44 replies to this topic

Carlo Marsura Members

Carlo Marsura
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

The issue seems to revolve around the sppsvc service, but also if you increase the timeout the problem persists;

However:
- I confirm that with VDA installed the sppsvc scans all the files under the catroot folder;
- Removing files under catroot makes the service starting immediately;
- The issue is present also with the 7.12 VDA;
- Removing Citrix software makes the service to behave normally
- Antivirus software does not impact this issue

After a gotomeeting session with a Citrix assistant, they told  that "the sppsvc.exe is a Microsoft process we do not have access to their source code. Therefore we are unable to explain or investigate why it is not starting."

So I am in a corner. For me, there are two possible solutions to this:
1) Downagrading the VDA to XenDesktop 7.8, where the issue does not happen;
2) Temporarely removing the .cat files from the catroot folder (I have no idea of the secondary effects of this);

Carlo

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

I´m facing the same issue with 7.12

Has anyone found any solution? Citrix mentioned to follow this https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX107825 for SPPSVC.EXE but didn´t work....

alid01 Members

ali daher
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hello,

I have temporarily  solved my issue by creating a scheduled batch that start the sppsvc every 10 secs.

Ali.

Philip Trovato Members

Philip Trovato
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

Anyone know if the issue exists in 7.13?

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

from 7.7 to 7.13 the issue exists

Carlo Marsura Members

Carlo Marsura
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

XenDesktop 7.8 does not have this issue that starts from the 7.9 up to the latest 7.13.

This issue seems to appear if you have a relatively slow datastore. For test, I moved the problematic VM on a SSD datastore and the problem seems to be gone.

Further, starting from the XD 7.9 version you can observe that there are several services that are slowed down on the startup; take a look at the Event Viewer > Administrative events and you can see several errors produced by Service Control Manager saying that "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." :(

Domenic Alvaro Members

Domenic Alvaro
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:09 AM

I'm experiencing this issue with a couple of my customers at the moment, both of which use Trend Worry-Free Business Security.  After quite a lot of testing, I have determined that excluding C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot from real-time scanning resolves the issue.

I'm not sure if this is definitely the solution, but haven't be able to reproduce the Office license error since, and the Software Protection service now starts every time.

I have a case logged with Citrix, who are reviewing the trace logs, so hopefully there will be a definitive answer soon.

Carlo Marsura Members

Carlo Marsura
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'm experiencing this issue with a couple of my customers at the moment, both of which use Trend Worry-Free Business Security.  After quite a lot of testing, I have determined that excluding C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot from real-time scanning resolves the issue.

I'm not sure if this is definitely the solution, but haven't be able to reproduce the Office license error since, and the Software Protection service now starts every time.

I have a case logged with Citrix, who are reviewing the trace logs, so hopefully there will be a definitive answer soon.

You are lucky.

Excluding that folder, you have given the sppsvc service a bit of speedup sufficient to not force the Office products going in timeout.

Instead, I am not so lucky: stopping completely the antivirus does not solve the problem for me.

Carlo

Domenic Alvaro Members

Domenic Alvaro
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:33 PM

Carlo, I'd be interested to know what antivirus software you're using.  Removing Trend definitely fixed the issue for me, so I had a clue as to what the cause was.

For me, the issue didn't seem to be related to disk latency.  When I manually started the Software Protection service, the progress bar would go to 50% and the system would just sit there with little CPU or disk activity before timing out.  Starting the service again immediately afterwards would cause it to start normally.

I used Process Monitor to see if I could figure out what was going on and saw that sppsvc.exe attempts to access files in CatRoot directory while the service is failing to start, which is why I excluded it.

This seems to have been an issue for a long time, so it would be good to see Citrix acknowledge it as a known issue.

Carlo Marsura Members

Carlo Marsura
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

@Domenic Alvaro

I am using Sophos Enpoint Security and Control 10.7 but IMHO, antivirus is not the culprit, it can only participate in the VM slowdown but the cause is to research in Citrix itself. I tested a VM installed only with the Windows Server OS and XendDesktop 7.12 and can observe the problem; exported that VM in an .ova archive, imported it on another hypevisor host of same version but with disk subsystem more speedy and the problem never happened.

To exclude interference of vmware tool/host environment, I installed another copy of 2012 R2 on a physical hardware and problem never surfaced but however the catroot folder is ever scanned and you can note a slight slowdown of the sppsvc startup.

Also if the sppsvc service goes timeout, the process continues to elaborate the folder files. You can observe that at a certain moment the cpu usage go down and afterwards the sppcsvc.exe terminate; try to restart the service ad it will start immediately. The following 2-3 service start may be successful, but before or after on a startup the service repeat the read of all files in the catroot folder going timeout.

I think that if you reinstall your antivirus and move out of the folder the .cat files, the problem go away (I do not known what can happen if the sppsvc service cannot find the .cat files for several runs, but this is another story).

Carlo

Philipp Bundschuh Members

Philipp Bundschuh
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

Issue still exists in VDA 7.13; Just made a downgrade to 7.9 and Software Protection Service starts immediately after lauching a office application. I'll contact CITRIX Support to open a case about this.

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

Is anyone using the OS in other language then EN - US?

Maybe is from language of OS as I have installed a vanilla windows 10 EN but without apps and I do not have the issue. The faulty VM win 10 was in DE with EN LPKs on top.

Philipp Bundschuh
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

Using DE-DE...

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

he he

I think this is the culprit.

Philipp Bundschuh
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

Downgrading to VDA 7.9 makes behavior slightly better; after starting excel the second or third time, software protection service comes up and office is working... but definitely not a solution...

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

I would say to install the win using the EN EU iso

Carlo Marsura Members

Carlo Marsura
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

@BOGDANST

I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 Italian and have the problem...

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

might be that any other language of the OS except EN has issues.

Carlo Marsura Members

Carlo Marsura
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

If I remember correctly the problem was present also in the English version of Windows 2012 R2.

BOGDANST Members

Bogdan Stanciu
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

I bet it has some language packs installed.

Anyway, I'm installing now in a test w10 VM lots of language packs and I will test to see the behaviour.

I started thinking that once you install LPKs the software protection is getting a slow start as it has a lot of files to scan in catroot.