Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Migrate MPX HA-pair to SDX

Thanks, Tom!

CTX129423 describes the installation of XenServer on an MPX in order to use it as an SDX. I already have 2 SDX 11515 boxes. And I have two MPX 5500s (HA-pair). I'm planning to dismantle the MPX's. Therefore I have to migrate all services running on the MPX's  to VPX's (hosted on my SDX's).

What I'm looking for is a smooth migration path that has an official recommendation by Citrix and doesn't cause long outages of production systems currently running on my MPX's.

In my opinion this must be a common challenge. Many customers started with MPX's and after a while bought SDX's. Now it's time for them to dismantle the old MPX boxes and bring their config to VPX's.

One thing I thought about is to break HA and set up a new HA-pair composed of 1 MPX and 1 VPX. Then again break HA  and set up a new HA-pair composed of 2 VPX's. But this probably is a non-supported approach...

That method is not supported but others have reported success with it.

I usually copy SSL Cert files to new appliance. Then I take a short outage, copy ns.conf to the new appliance, shut down old appliance, reboot new appliance. All IPs are now moved over.

Another option is to redo all VIPs and change DNS or NAT.

• Like 1

Interface configs are appliance specific.

Another option is to delete unnecessary lines from the NS.conf file. Then go to System > Diagnostics > Batch Import and import the NS.conf file. That causes NetScaler to run all commands in the file without doing a full NS.conf file replace.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

That method is not supported but others have reported success with it.

I usually copy SSL Cert files to new appliance. Then I take a short outage, copy ns.conf to the new appliance, shut down old appliance, reboot new appliance. All IPs are now moved over.

Another option is to redo all VIPs and change DNS or NAT.

I actually used this unsupported method a few years ago. I migrated from a MPX7500 to an instance on a SDX11500.  It will work. However, during the process there are references to the license files that an MPX uses. This resulted in a multi hour outage more that a year after the migration.  The new VPX instance made a reference to the license file at a arbitrary time, when the license file could not be found, all features were disable on the primary and propagated to the secondary.  Other VPX instance on the SDX that were net new had no issues.  

• 4 weeks later...

I use for migration from Appliance to sdx or another appliance "Backup and Restore" feature. it works very well. in some cases i musts edit the source backup file and delete ssh folder than compress it as tar and .tgz again. load the file to the new appliace and just restore from that file. Tested with 11.1 - 50.x  

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Looks good I will take a look at this! It has information with SDX appliance too. nice job!
It's a shame Citrix doesn't provide this kind of procedure maybe because they want to sell professional services...