Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Question

Setup:

XenServer 6.5 Hypervisor

Citrix XenDesktop 7.7 VDA on VM running Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. VDA installed via command line using /servervdi switch to allow XenDesktop on Server based OS.

VDAWorkstationSetup_7.7.exe /servervdi /components vda /controllers "Controllers-FQDN" /enable_hdx_ports /optimize /enable_remote_assistance /enable_real_time_transport

http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7-6/xad-build-new-enviroment/xad-servervdi.html

Whenever I log in to the VM via ICA session I can see an established "Active" connection in Studio, however, I just see a grey (gray) screen on the ICA session.

RDP works fine, I believe this could be something to do with Display Adapters, I've tried disabling the WDDM driver, and just running the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter but no luck. 

If I don't use the /servervdi switch I can log in fine.

Any ideas?

Enabling "legacy graphics" in Citrix policies made it work for XenApp published desktop from a Windows Server 2012 R2. But launching any application in seamless mode from the same Delivery Group still doesn't work.

Hi,

"For our issue though we enabled legacy graphics in the citrix policies, our issue is to do with a clients software needing windows installed on E: (dont ask) and HDX composite view not launching.. "

@Timothy, did it work for both XenDesktop and XenApp for you?

I had the same problem with Windows 10 and VDA 7.8.

I don't know exactly what solved my problem but I did the following:

Completly removed the VDA Agent and did a new Installation.

Before the uninstall I didn't have the registry Key "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vbdenum\". I created it and some Values. (described here http://citrixtips.com/black-screen-issues-with-7-x-vda/) I don't know if the Key was created by the Installation or after the reboot. I didn't check it.

Afer the reboot this Registry Key was used and other Values were set and everything works fine.

I have exactly the same problem with Windows server 2012 R2 VDA

It is grey screen on latest release of the client but on older client it was a black screen.

My setup:

Server 2012 R2 HyperV hosts

Server 2012 R2 across the board for controllers and storefront

Controllers: 7.6.0.5026

Broker 7.6.2.5024

MCS 7.6.2.5020

SFront 2.6.0.5031

(Basically all 7.6. ISO install with Hotfix 1 for Broker, Host, MCS, MonitorPSS, Monitor SRVC and ConfigMgrWOL)

Server 2012 R2 VDA tried with 7.6 through 7.7 and 7.8 later releases to see if there were improvements to this issue. All created with MCS not PVS.

Enabled legacy graphics and disabled DCR in citrix policy

changed the registry settings as above for graphics mem etc

I even disabled themes!

Grey screen on logon. checked and the user profile creates ok

logged on via RDP fine and set to basic windows theme...disabled themes service

Restarts a plenty and same results

Even tried disabling the hyperV graphics adaptor in line with the issues seen with VMware and the SVGA adaptor. same result.

We had a similar issue on 7.6 last July with Server 2008 R2 and the hotfix download ICAWS760WX64026 resolved this issue.

Now we are seeing the same now deploying server 2012 R2 desktops.

Interestingly the VDA needs a restart after every logon attempt via ICA as it appears to lock up and won't allow user logon. There are no events in the event logs to suggest an issue with licensing, graphics or otherwise.

I did have event 1004 composite redirection is not available because client protocol version 0.0 is not supported until I disabled DCR. none since.

Our 2012 R2 Xenapp servers are fine on the same platform.

I have destroyed the delivery group and catalog and rebuilt many many times over with the same results. if we didn't have Tintri cloning for our master Windows image I would have lost my mind by now! I have also tried another master image from scratch without cloning with the same results from our SCVMM library.

I cannot take the platform down to upgrade to 7.8 without having to update hundreds of desktops and I'm not convinced that will fix the issue. Unless of course someone is successfully running 2012 R2 VDA's on 7.8 controllers with SF 3.5?

If anyone is running 7.6 2012 R2 VDA's successfully with hotfixes delivered by MCS, which combination of hotfixes gets this thing to work?

Need a fix for HyperV!! Anyone?

I have doughnuts going free :-)

Sara,

I had a similar issue and the following registry changes worked for me. the change needs to be made in the Image.

Remove the full path from the AppInit_DLLs key.
Key Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Entry Name: AppInit_DLLs
Entry Type: String
New Entry Value: mfaphook64.dll
Old Entry Value: C:\Program Files\Citrix\System32\mfaphook64.dll

Key Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
New Entry Value: mfaphook.dll
Old Entry Value: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\System32\mfaphook64.dll
  • Like 3

Sara,

I had a similar issue and the following registry changes worked for me. the change needs to be made in the Image.

Key Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Key Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

I've got the same issue after upgradeing PVS from 7.6 to 7.8. I can confirm that the above registry change fixed it.

• Like 1

Hi hnoeman608,

I managed to revisit this on the weekend and I rebuilt a 2012R2 image with the latest MS updates.

This for whatever reason worked. I followed the same process I always follow and I didn't have to do anything other than 7.6 VDA and hotfix ICAWS760WX64026.

I also discovered that upgrading the VDA to 7.8 after creation also works so we are now trying 7.8 out of the box ready for when we upgrade the DDC's and Storefront.

We are up and running!

thanks for your help.

I'm having the grey (formerly black) screen problem on 7.6FP3 Desktop VDA (Win8.1 x64) running on Hyper-V.

No PVS. No MCS. Just a plain Windows VM.

Receiver launches on the client machine.

My user session shows up as 'Connected' in Director and the session also shows up in 'quser' output as 'console' and 'active'.

But Receiver shows a grey screen (or in the case of the HTML5 receiver a black screen with 'Connecting. This may take a few moments')

I've applied the following post-FP3 fixes but the problem still persists 100% of the time:

and also BrokerAgent fix 301

Looking forward to a fix.....

Hi everyone - thanks for sharing your comments.

I faced the issue described, my environment as follows:

• VMware iESX 6.0.0 with Tools up to date on the guests
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 for VDA (Windows Update - July 2016)
  • Citrix 7.6 LTSR CU1 for all {VDA (7.6.1000.7037), Delivery Controller (7.6.1000.5034) and Provisioning Server (7.6.2.12)}

Behavior:

• Published Apps never launched
  • Virtual Desktops showed a grey (aka black) screen only, showing in Citrix Director Console a session.

Fixed after changing registry mentioned before:

Hi

Disabling the Legacy Graphics solved my Gray Screen problems in our servervdi environment.

XenDesktop VDA installed on 2008R2 Server with /servervdi

Original 7.6 VDA worked fine with Legacy Graphics policy.

Problems started when i tried to upgrade to the 7.6.300 7.6 FP3 and 7.6.1000 LTSR CU1, always the gray screen matter what i did try.

Now lets see how does the .h264 perform.

Hope it helps. :)

Erno

Sara,

This one worked for me when having grey screen when logging in to XA 7.6 LTSR, running XenServer 6.5, PVS 7.6 LTSR and Server 2012R2. Problem occured for me after doing reverse-img and updating PVS-agent and XS-tools.

Thanks!

Regards

/Henrik

I have windows 10 v1607 with vda 7.9.  When I upgraded windows 10 to the anniversary edition, I had all sorts of problems and was told by citrix to move from vda 7.8 to 7.9.  Before all of that, everything worked fine.  However, when I try to connect to the desktop, I get the grey blank screen.  I tried to add a screen shot, but it wouldn't let me.  If I go to open it via the receiver or the web, it is a grey Citrix screen with nothing in it.  It's a constant grey screen.  The ddc shows it's registered and there are no errors in the event logs.  I've following the reg keys above and applied the citrix policy for legacy graphics and still have a grey screen.  I don't see any problems when I console to the machines through vmware.   

so now check out

- We have new HPE Moonshot m710x Cartridges with Intel Iris Pro 580 graphic card.

- new patched 2012 R2 Server

- DDController on Version 7.13

- Intel graphic card drivers

- installed Intel SDK

- installed XA 7.13 VDA

regkey at my station looks like this "c:\\progra~2\\Citrix\\system32\\mfaphook.dll* under wow6432

"c:\\progra~2\\Citrix\\system32\\mfaphook64.dll* under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\

If i login, only grey screen. Login over RDP works fine, in Studio both sessions are up, profile is loaded. Nothing in Windows Logs.

CTX Policy as follows

​- display memory limit up to 162840 KB, we need this because of published app "secure CRT", if they grep lots of data, app crashes or stops.

- Dynamic windows preview - enabled

- enhanced desktop experience - enabled

- flash disabled

- user hardware encoding for video codec - enabled

- user video codec for compression - use when preferred

- view windows content while dragging - allowed

- visual quality - medium

strange thing