Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Status of the VDA for Mac OS

Jeffrey Fletcher1709156626

Question

7 answers to this question

So now that the new MacPro is out with the ability to rack 28 cores and 1.5 of RAM it's time to visit this again. You could legally run MacOS VDIs on Fusion and use Citrix as the transport and display protocol.  With some reasonable overcommit on the pCores you could squeeze quite a few VMs on the new Pro.  In the end, this is just a twist on the  Linux VDA.

On 12/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, Stuart Rosner said:

So now that the new MacPro is out with the ability to rack 28 cores and 1.5 of RAM it's time to visit this again. You could legally run MacOS VDIs on Fusion and use Citrix as the transport and display protocol.  With some reasonable overcommit on the pCores you could squeeze quite a few VMs on the new Pro.  In the end, this is just a twist on the  Linux VDA.

I have a use case for this as well - remote access for 50+ Mac users to their own desktop.  I'd love to see some traction on this before I have to do something crazy for these users.

It seems that the T2 security chip is holding up VMware from adding support for the new MacPro to ESXi, as well as Apple updating the license agreement to allow more than two MacOS VMs / Physical Apple machine.  Time for Apple / VMware and Citrix to talk.  Enterprises want to be able to provide MacOS VMs to remote users while keeping data and intellectual property in the data center.  Years and years ago at the Citrix Partner summit Mark Tempelton did a demo which showed off remote access to a Mac via XenDesktop, obviously a developmental version of the MacOS  VDA existed at that time.  Seems like an easy port from the LVDA, however, from experience I can tell you that support for the LVDA is weak at best.